High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Rachel Getting Married' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/80173-rachel-getting-married-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 02-26-2009 02:57 AM

'Rachel Getting Married' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Rachel Getting Married.' He says this is one of Jonathan Demme's best films. This Blu-ray has good video and audio (considering the original sources for both), as well as plenty of good supplements. Well worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2028...ngmarried.html

FunkMcLovin 02-26-2009 05:19 AM

Peter:

Do you have any source material where you read that the script was autobiographical? I hadn't read that anywhere...

zaphod 02-26-2009 05:40 AM

Hmmm... I tend to avoid movies that don't feature at least one corpse, but Peter's review has made me curious... ;)

Grubert 02-26-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaphod (Post 1446488)
Hmmm... I tend to avoid movies that don't feature at least one corpse, but Peter's review has made me curious... ;)

Bear in mind it's a Sony new release, so it might be region A or maybe not.

edit: from the back cover it seems to be region ABC. Order away. :)

zaphod 02-26-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubert (Post 1446491)
Bear in mind it's a Sony new release, so it might be region A or maybe not.

edit: from the back cover it seems to be region ABC. Order away. :)

Thanks, I probably will eventually, but my quota for the week is full - Messrs. Gandhi and Amadeus are en route .... :o

('Good old' Sony - consistency is their middle name when it comes to region coding! :) )

Cochise 02-26-2009 10:14 AM

Can't they review any good movies? :mad:

Just kidding! :D

Clear 02-26-2009 02:03 PM

This was easily one of my top 5 movies of the year. I would of liked to see Anne Hathaway win for her performance but oh well. Great flick.

knuckles 02-26-2009 02:25 PM

Way more smiling and good times to be inferred from the back cover than from the movie itself.

Ah, marketing... fueled by deception and aggressive promotional pandering.

That said, this is one of the five best films of last year. I don't think Demme has directed anything with this much vitality and enthusiasm in a while... that even includes his recent (admittedly exceptional) documentary work

Fisher & Sons 02-26-2009 04:10 PM

One of my absolute favorites of last year. Will be purchasing this on release day.

killowertz 02-26-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clear (Post 1446915)
This was easily one of my top 5 movies of the year. I would of liked to see Anne Hathaway win for her performance but oh well. Great flick.

I would have liked to see her win too, but I didn't really expect her to. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I already know how good of a performance she gave in the movie because every review I read said so.

Anyways, I will be blind-buying this movie on release day. Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite actresses. I wasn't expecting this to be anywhere close to demo material because of the way the movie was shot, so at least it's about as good as the source material can get. I was surprised that it got reviewed already.

Emoney7 02-26-2009 07:33 PM

Hathaway as a believable substance abusing b!tch? This I have to see...

Johnathon Demme still have to prove he's a good director? I dunno, I think he's way underrated and gets critiqued harder then he should. Anyways I love his movies so I'll give this a shot.

Brad1963 02-26-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkMcLovin (Post 1446480)
Peter:

Do you have any source material where you read that the script was autobiographical? I hadn't read that anywhere...

I worked somewhere in the 90's that Jenny Lumet was seeking to work. There was a hesistancy because she was known to be wild and a party girl. There probably is a close resemblance to Kym and Jenny.

ben1080p 02-27-2009 11:50 AM

Blu-News Review

killowertz 02-27-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben1080p (Post 1448210)

Thanks for posting. A short, but well done review.

Dack 02-28-2009 07:37 PM

I really liked Rachel Getting Married.

I thought Anne Hathaway was fantastic and the whole movie seemed almost like a documentary (casting people like Tunde, the lead singer of TV on the Radio, as a musician really helped with that).

Tonkpilsnut 03-12-2009 04:02 AM

Already released....

This movie is out already, still showing release date of 3/17, released 3/10

DoubleJ 04-25-2009 01:10 AM

I'm watching this right now, and the picture is just bad. It's a rental from Netflix. Does anybody else notice the constant vertical lines appearing then disappearing? They are of the same color as the picture's environment, but they are easily visible to the eye.

RoadLizard 04-25-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleJ (Post 1520694)
I'm watching this right now, and the picture is just bad. It's a rental from Netflix. Does anybody else notice the constant vertical lines appearing then disappearing? They are of the same color as the picture's environment, but they are easily visible to the eye.

I dont remember seeing such artifacts when we rented it a few weeks ago. The film was OK, not bad but not ground-breaking either. Worth a rent. Thats about it.

BBE 04-25-2009 10:18 AM

Yah, I watched it last week and I don't remember any artifacts or vertical lines either. The picture was decent for being shot in the way that it was. I really liked the film as well. Although I think that the pacing was off just a bit. I felt like the movie really built up and hit it's high point during the second act, and then kind of tailed off and had somewhat of an uninspired and anti climatic last half hour or so. But it was definitely a good watch.

killowertz 04-26-2009 12:33 AM

Those artifacts aren't present in the movie. I have watched it twice. You unfortunately probably got a bad disc. The picture is about as good as you can expect it to be with the way the movie was shot. There are actually a few scenes in the movie that look quite nice. I really like the movie, but I can understand why some people may not since it's not the type of movie for everyone.

ack_bak 05-30-2009 01:17 PM

Watched this last night. Pretty good movie. Not sure if it is something that I would watch again (it was a rental), but it was definitely worth the 2 hours of my time :)

I am a fan of Jonathan Demme and he did not disappoint with this movie. Recommended.

SlaughterX 05-30-2009 02:55 PM

I hated this movie... and I hated watching the preview of it a millions times a day at work... OHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOD!