'Pixels' and 'Pixels - 3D' - High-Def Digest Reviews - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 AM
NJScorpio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,213
Default

I might pick this up tonight, as it is $16.99 at Best Buy. Seems like a good deal to me.

Watching the commercials, the actions scenes look like the type that would bore me in 2D, but entertain me in 3D (like San Andreas).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I might pick this up tonight, as it is $16.99 at Best Buy. Seems like a good deal to me.

Watching the commercials, the actions scenes look like the type that would bore me in 2D, but entertain me in 3D (like San Andreas).
For a 2nd week of release in 3D, that's a great price.
And the leaks of Black Friday ads don't seem to have
this title listed, so I think it's a great buy now.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Just got done watching this. I thought it was OK, better than Jurassic World, which is something I watched a few nights ago. Luckily, I had only $18 in this and When Marnie was There, due to an amazon billing error and two 'goodwill' refunds from them for messing up that billing.
I know there are people that dont like Jurassic World out there, but I cant take anyone seriously who says Pixels is better, there is just no way that is possible on any level
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-13-2015, 02:56 PM
NJScorpio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,213
Default

I went to Best Buy...and I just couldn't bring myself, with finances how they are at the moment, to spend $16.99 on 'Pixels'. Too much to spend to sit through the 'comedic' scenes I'm anticipating that are between the action scenes.

I ALMOST bought 'The Terminator 5 - 3D', I very much do want to see it, but $27.99 is pricey for the moment, and I feel like I'll be perfectly content playing 'Fallout 4' all weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I went to Best Buy...and I just couldn't bring myself, with finances how they are at the moment, to spend $16.99 on 'Pixels'. Too much to spend to sit through the 'comedic' scenes I'm anticipating that are between the action scenes.

I ALMOST bought 'The Terminator 5 - 3D', I very much do want to see it, but $27.99 is pricey for the moment, and I feel like I'll be perfectly content playing 'Fallout 4' all weekend.
NJScorpio, the studio sent me a screener copy of Pixels 3D, but it arrived a little too late to be worth running a contest for it in the blog. I have debated whether I want to bring myself to watch it.

You have anything interesting to trade for it? I'll email you. We'll work something out.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM
NJScorpio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
NJScorpio, the studio sent me a screener copy of Pixels 3D, but it arrived a little too late to be worth running a contest for it in the blog. I have debated whether I want to bring myself to watch it.

You have anything interesting to trade for it? I'll email you. We'll work something out.
I'd be up for that, trading one of my 3D Blu-Rays (though it wouldn't have the UV code). I can get a list together when I get back home, but I know off the top of my head, I'd be up for trading the Poltergeist remake (which I did enjoy). Would you be interested in non-3D blu-rays?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I'd be up for that, trading one of my 3D Blu-Rays (though it wouldn't have the UV code). I can get a list together when I get back home, but I know off the top of my head, I'd be up for trading the Poltergeist remake (which I did enjoy). Would you be interested in non-3D blu-rays?
Sure, send me a list.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
NJScorpio, the studio sent me a screener copy of Pixels 3D, but it arrived a little too late to be worth running a contest for it in the blog. I have debated whether I want to bring myself to watch it.

You have anything interesting to trade for it? I'll email you. We'll work something out.
Watch then trade. Though I'm aware that
many home theaters are allergic to Sandler.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
malakai's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
I know there are people that dont like Jurassic World out there, but I cant take anyone seriously who says Pixels is better, there is just no way that is possible on any level
As someone that grew up in the arcade era, where every 7/11 had arcades and was each town's hangout spot, Pixels played on the same nostalgia as Wargames played on the BBS and BBS hacking era, before the Internet became what it is today. I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler or Peter Dinklage but still found enjoyment in the film. Pixels really didn't have previous films to live up to, unlike Jurassic World, where each and every one of the first three were better than it, IMO. It doesn't have the Neill, Goldblum, or Attenborough factors which others had. They tried to do a T3 on the series, attempting to copy Jurassic Park, with a similar story line, yet JW just didn't have the magic of the first film. Some would even call the acting from the children in the first film atrocious, but it still managed to be great. Chris Pratt shouldn't have ever had a lead role in the film. His comedic acting may work in Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's pointless in JW. The only redeeming qualities of JW, and really the best way to pay homage to the first, was the T-Rex scene near the end. As I watched Jurassic World, I couldn't wait for it to either be over or get more exciting. It vaguely did in the end, but it wasn't enough.

To me, Terminator Genysis was the most disappointing film of the year, because of my love for the franchise, especially T2, but it still managed to be better than Jurassic World.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
As someone that grew up in the arcade era, where every 7/11 had arcades and was each town's hangout spot, Pixels played on the same nostalgia as Wargames played on the BBS and BBS hacking era, before the Internet became what it is today. I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler or Peter Dinklage but still found enjoyment in the film. Pixels really didn't have previous films to live up to, unlike Jurassic World, where each and every one of the first three were better than it, IMO. It doesn't have the Neill, Goldblum, or Attenborough factors which others had. They tried to do a T3 on the series, attempting to copy Jurassic Park, with a similar story line, yet JW just didn't have the magic of the first film. Some would even call the acting from the children in the first film atrocious, but it still managed to be great. Chris Pratt shouldn't have ever had a lead role in the film. His comedic acting may work in Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's pointless in JW. The only redeeming qualities of JW, and really the best way to pay homage to the first, was the T-Rex scene near the end. As I watched Jurassic World, I couldn't wait for it to either be over or get more exciting. It vaguely did in the end, but it wasn't enough.

To me, Terminator Genysis was the most disappointing film of the year, because of my love for the franchise, especially T2, but it still managed to be better than Jurassic World.
The thing with Jurassic Park is that it gave me what I expected it to.....an updated version of the story, a new park that is actually running (you cant tell me we havent all wanted to see that) and Dinosaur action with some funny bits peppered in here or there, it was just fun. Pixels was NOT fun, except for the action sequences.....I'm also a huge 80s nut and have played all of those games in the arcade back in the day, I lived in the arcade back when I was a kid. But the in between stuff was some of the laziest and unfunny writing I've seen from Sandler and company, its obvious that the directing was fine because I'm a fan of Chris Columbus and his body of work and it showed during the action sequences but the rest of the movie was just awful to sit through with awkward dialogue and characters that were just SO unfunny. If you cant even like Dinklage in a movie, something is wrong with that movie.

At least with Jurassic Park they provided what people expected from a big dumb fun dinosaur movie, enough throw backs to the original while having an updated take on the material. Pixels in the right hands, with a WAY better script could have been a new Ghostbusters, that was the potential it was showing, but it couldnt come anywhere close to that and turned out to be probably the worst movie I've seen this year hands down
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Ice Age: Collision Course' Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Reviews - HDD Reviews Attebery Ultra-HD Blu-ray Software Discussion 2 11-15-2016 12:52 AM
Blind Buy - Pixels 3D + Jurassic World 3D.....or Halo 5 NJScorpio Blu-ray Software General Discussion 6 10-28-2015 12:06 PM
'Pixels' is up for preorder Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 1 07-24-2015 01:37 PM
32" Television. 1366 x 768 pixels resolution good for Blu Ray? JoshMcCracken Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 7 01-05-2010 05:39 PM
Bring Back CRT Thingys... Dead Pixels what to do!! Satans Puppet Home Theater Gear 4 10-26-2008 09:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off