Are the Pirates of the carribean movies must haves? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
And I know many people thought DMC was a snoozer, but ''it was the first movie in history to break the sacred $100 million mark in fourty-eight hours. By September 2006, DMC became only the third member of the billion dollar club-the third-highest grossing film, internationally, in motion picture history.'' I dont know if these facts make DMC a snooze fest, but everyone has different tastes.
it was POTC 1 that got POTC 2 its gross success. Not saying POTC 2 doesn't look great, it def has some great special effects shots, but the story was no where near the level of POTC 1.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Potc 2 looks good, but I didnt think the first one looked as great. Primeval, Apocalypto, and Bridge To Terabithia all looked better than the first POTC movie imo. Funny how they are all from Disney/Buena Vista.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM

The discs themselves are must haves because they are reference quality in A/V. I personally don't think that the movies are that great though. Especially the second one. I couldn't get myself to finish watching it today.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM

I only own the first, I'm planning on the second but it kinda is a downhill movie for me. But a trilogy is a trilogy I guess.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Being format neutral, I think the films with the best PQ overall are as follows, in order of best:

PoTC: Dead Man's Chest
King Kong
PoTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Hulk

I'm obviously referring only to live-action films.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
it was POTC 1 that got POTC 2 its gross success. Not saying POTC 2 doesn't look great, it def has some great special effects shots, but the story was no where near the level of POTC 1.
I agree. I thought Bill Nighy and his portrayl of Davy Jones was so good that I did not care if the story was a bit lacking compared to the original. DMC was a LONG movie to watch and I did have to fight nodding to sleep a couple of times in the theater.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM

I actually liked the first one quite a bit, but the second one is weak from the first half of it that I watched. I couldn't even get myself to finish it. The story was piss poor and felt like they were trying to make too many things go on at once with too many characters, they did not multitask well like in LOTR.

Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow also felt a litle forced in this movie while in the first one his charcter felt natural.

To DMC's credit though it's a visually astounding film with great locations and cinemtography as well as CGI but it wasn't a good movie. Pirates: COTBP was a good movie.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM

In terms of a stand alone movie, I love all 3 of the films so for me, it was no question. i own the DVD of #1 and #2 and the UMD of #1 and own both #1 and #2 on blu-ray. I just love the damn movies.

from there on, if you just wanna show off what Blu-ray is, both movies look damn amazing and sound even better and the menus are very well done so its easy to recommend from a technical stand point.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Part 1 YES
Part 2 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO