'Piranha (2010)' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
I bet anything that you're confusing gore with genuine scares. Gore isn't scary, it's disgusting. Horror fans like myself are de-sensitized to it; when I see gore, I focus more on how good the special effects are than feel scared or disgusted by it. While you use big-boy words like "muddled" and "clichés", I doubt that you could identify and articulate a genuine horror movie cliché in The Crazies or any other movie.

Unlike Piranha 3D, The Crazies had good scares. The part with the mother and her son hiding in the closet and peering through the keyhole, even though I knew what was coming, it still got me. There were many other scary parts, like in the funeral home, at the Sheriff's home, in the car wash, and at the truck stop.

My favourite things about The Crazies were that it had excellent pacing, the characters were well-developed, smart and rational, and the plot was believable. Piranha 3D had none of those things. And it's not like I'm a film snob that can't appreciate an entertaining popcorn flick. I can switch my brain off and enjoy a Michael Bay movie. But Piranha 3D was just so awful that I couldn't enjoy a single second of it. The characters, the acting, the plot, the dialogue, the direction, the obvious 3D exploitation -- all embarassingly terrible. I have no idea how they got first rate actors like Richard Dreyfus or Elizabeth Shue to be in this awful movie -- no, actually, I do: $$$.

Piranha 3D was so predictable I could anticipate every death and ignore every false alarm: when the Sheriff fell into the marsh = false alarm; when the marine biologists dove into the underground lake = dead; when the girl apparently disappeared and the boy dove in to look for her = false alarm; the topless para-sailer = dead; all of the "Girls Gone Wild" group = DEAD. Predictable, and totally bereft of suspense or thrills.

Then there was the big piranha feeding frenzy, which was supposed to be the highlight of the movie that the audience was waiting for for an hour. What should've taken less than 30 seconds for everyone to get out of the water, apparently lasted for fifteen minutes of screen-time. No one was further than 50 feet from dry land or a boat; even considering that the people were panicking and probably intoxicated, it shouldn't have taken them more than a minute. The party barge that tipped over; it made sense that it tipped, but after half of the people fell off, it would've righted itself -- it wouldn't have gone vertical, and sunk Titanic-style. And the only thing stupider than the deputies shooting the piranhas with their shotguns was the Sheriff zapping them with that tazer. Probably the worst thing was the unsatisfyingly ambiguous "death" of that @$$hole that mowed down all of the helpless people. I mean, he was the wussy protagonist's rival, and he selfishly killed countless people to save himself -- even though he was already safely aboard a large boat -- but the movie only shows the piranhas taking a few bites out of him? WTF!?

I could go on, but what would be the point? If I wanted to make a list of everything wrong with this movie, it would be simpler to get a copy of the script and say, "HERE. This is what's wrong with Piranha 3D" -- but perhaps I'm being too generous in assuming that this [email protected] movie had a script.

Seeing Piranha 3D in the theatre was bad enough; I should've known better than to watch this again. I was really angry at my friend for renting this movie when we knew how terrible it was. But at least he didn't buy it.
I like how you come out here, insulting me, acting like I think gore is scary. First of all where the **** did you get the idea I thought the gore was scary? I thought Piranha was a very dumb film, not because it tried to be bad but because story wise some things were just too inconsistent and unbelievable.

But Crazies was boring, predictable, cliched, and I'm not going to nitpick it here, I had my problems when I saw that pile of shit. It was so god damn typical and dont' get me started on the cliche ending.

You come here insulting my intelligence but I think we can see where your intelligence is, Piranha was never intended to be scary at all, it was intended to be a cheesy gore fest with cheap thrills, and it wasn't marked as like that. I use "big boy" words because I'm a big boy that knows Crazies sucked ass.

Piranha isn't a good movie at all and nor is the Crazies, if I had to pick between the two, I'd choose Piranha because it was entertaining. It was good time killer, Crazies was a huge waste of time, nothing redeeming about it and if Crazies actually scared you, go grow a pair seriously.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM

This movie was ok. It needed more tongue in cheek humor. I thought it was going to be much funnier than it was.

But it did have some pretty inventive deaths.

And is the dude 3 posts above bitching about the believable aspects? It's about Piranhas that have lived 2 million years in an Arizona lake (go AZ). Nuff said.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Hahaha someone totally missed the point. If you went to a movie called Pirahna with THAT poster and expected anything close to scary or believable, you obviously have no clue what genre you're lookig at. It's a remake of a Roger f-ing Corman movie. We're talking somethin MUCH closer to Planet Terror in tone. To compare it to The Crazies (which I loved, but is in no way within a mile of the same type of movie as Pirahna) is absofuckinlutely idiotic.

Piranha hit what it was going for perfectly on the mark.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 AM

My opinion is that this is without a doubt the BEST B MOVIE ever made!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM

I remember being pleasantly surprised by the movie. In no way was I expecting a horror movie, it delivered for me what I was expecting to see--dumb fun, nothing more, nothing less. That said, it might be one of those 'one and done' scenarios for me, just don't feel the need to watch it again any time soon.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Ok, for one, of course I know what the original Piranha was and as for being a genre fan, lets say I've been to multiple conventions, got autographs from Jeffrey Combs, Tom Savini, Kane Hodder, Ashley Laurence, Tony Todd and have met George Romero, Bruce Campbell and have collectors editions imported of Phantasm, Hellraiser and plenty plenty more, so dont go around questioning my loyalty as a genre fan.

Kick Ass is NOT a genre flick, genre in this particular regard is horror related, Kick Ass is a comic/graphic novel adaption and has nothing to do with horror.

Plus did I just see you post that Survival of the Dead is better than Piranha? You are losing any kind of credibility really fast here my friend, Survival is one of the worst Romero flicks ever done, just a horrid zombie movie in almost all respects, especially when you compare it to his masterpieces Night, Dawn and Day....Resident Evil Afterlife? Did you even see this movie? Its a piece of action fluff with over the top FX, these arent even CLOSE to horror flicks anymore.

Piranha 3D and Twilight in the same sentence? Sex and the City 2??? Really, I think at this point you are a lost cause, and Paranormal Activity 2? Talk about jumping on the bandwagon, the first PA was mediocre at best and barely offered anything remotely scary, I was bored with the first and having said that wont even bother with the 2nd till I can probably watch it on Netflix, more of the same and its a shame that horror fans today flock to see junk like this, my guess is that you arent very old and more in line with this younger generation that has no clue what good horror and genre flicks are all about

Again, you just dont get what Piranha was supposed to be, you can hate it all you want but that hasnt stopped you from digging yourself a big hole in this thread
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 AM

I finally received my Piranha 3D from the UK after about 6 weeks in transit. I see disk 1 has the movie in 3D and 2D. Disk 2 has the extras and a 3D version that uses the old fashioned glasses (2 of which are included). Does the USA version have all this?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM

This movie was great. Probably first time I havent been disappointed in the genre in a LONGGG time.

Dare I say it, its like Jaws meets spring break.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Bad action, bad story, bad director, bad caracters, ... How people can like a shit like this "Piranha 2010" ? Compare it with "Jaws" is an offense. Piranha 2010 is just another stupid film. If you want terror, watch just for example, "The Descent".
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah, cause it's clearly meant to be a straight horror film, doofus.