'Piranha (2010)' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Prime Winner's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,452
Default

just netflix'd this. not a bad movie. tits n ass was cool. I was disappointed that there wasnt more from Shue, Rhames, and Lloyd.

overall not nearly as bad as I thought it would be when I first saw the trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 222
Default

I'm surprised by how many liked it. I picked up the 3d version and can say this movie is everything you would expect. I enjoyed this movie as well (my wife not so much), the 3d is on the level of The Last Airbender with more cross talk. I recommend skip the 3d and watch it in 2d, other then that its nice to see people can enjoy a movie for what it is without ripping on it (and they really could on this one).
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootball View Post
If you went to see it expecting a classic horror movie, you're just as stupid as the people you lament for liking it. The film is a great example of it's genre, but to go to a movie in that genre and then complain about it is just odd.

I loved this movie. Light-hearted, funny, great entertainment and all round cheesy. Great film.
I remember that I saw this with my friends last summer as a guys-night activity -- we all knew better than to bring our girlfriends to this shameless blood-and-boob-fest. My expectations of this movie were so low that as awful as it was, it somehow exceeded them. This was a movie that I saw just so I could join in on ripping on it afterward; it served to be great fodder for jokes, because I had a much better time ripping on this movie than I did watching it.

You can claim that you liked this movie because you're a fan of the genre, but there's still a difference between a good and bad movie. For example, heist movie fans will agree that the modern classic Heat is infinitely better than that piece of sh!t Takers. Western movie fans certainly enjoyed True Grit a helluvalot more than Jonah Hex. Piranha 3D is the Takers or Jonah Hex of the 2010 horror movies.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
I remember that I saw this with my friends last summer as a guys-night activity -- we all knew better than to bring our girlfriends to this shameless blood-and-boob-fest. My expectations of this movie were so low that as awful as it was, it somehow exceeded them. This was a movie that I saw just so I could join in on ripping on it afterward; it served to be great fodder for jokes, because I had a much better time ripping on this movie than I did watching it.

You can claim that you liked this movie because you're a fan of the genre, but there's still a difference between a good and bad movie. For example, heist movie fans will agree that the modern classic Heat is infinitely better than that piece of sh!t Takers. Western movie fans certainly enjoyed True Grit a helluvalot more than Jonah Hex. Piranha 3D is the Takers or Jonah Hex of the 2010 horror movies.
My guess is that after these couple of posts you arent a true horror genre fan, the difference between a good and bad movie is all a matter of opinion obviously, but to not know and understand what kind of movie Piranha really is shows me you dont follow this genre as closely as a lot of fans of this film do, Piranha was easily the best genre flick of 2010 hands down, and thats because of what it promised and what it delivered, it didnt pretend to be a serious film, it pulled no punches and was easily the most risqué and ambitious studio release I've seen in years, I cant remember the last time they let this much gore and nudity slide without it being an unrated release later on home video.

Aja is a master of this genre now, High Tension, Hills Have Eyes and even Mirrors (while not as good) have been some of the best genre films in years, and I can safely say that Piranha has certainly joined those ranks, but again to me you just dont "get it" like other people have said, I'd like to see what you can compare Piranha to in the genre that fully delivered on what it was supposed to be.....I cant think of much at all last year that did.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Opinionhaver's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
Piranha 3D is the Takers or Jonah Hex of the 2010 horror movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
I'd like to see what you can compare Piranha to in the genre that fully delivered on what it was supposed to be.....I cant think of much at all last year that did.
Exactly. What was a good horror movie last year? I'd say Piranha 3D was the Piranha 3D of 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
My guess is that after these couple of posts you arent a true horror genre fan, the difference between a good and bad movie is all a matter of opinion obviously, but to not know and understand what kind of movie Piranha really is shows me you dont follow this genre as closely as a lot of fans of this film do, Piranha was easily the best genre flick of 2010 hands down, and thats because of what it promised and what it delivered, it didnt pretend to be a serious film, it pulled no punches and was easily the most risqué and ambitious studio release I've seen in years, I cant remember the last time they let this much gore and nudity slide without it being an unrated release later on home video.
If you were the "genre fan" that you claim, you'd know that the original Piranha was a comedy-horror movie that parodied Jaws. The only thing funny about Piranha 3D is how awful and absurd it is.

You're also wrong about the best genre flick of 2010. Firstly, "Best of..." doesn't belong in the same sentence as.... "Piranha 3D" -- unless it's "Best of the Worst". Second, Kick-Ass was the best genre flick of 2010, followed closely by Machete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
Exactly. What was a good horror movie last year? I'd say Piranha 3D was the Piranha 3D of 2010.
Obviously, there's no accounting for taste.

Off the top of my head, the best horror movies of 2010 were:
Let Me In
The Crazies
Predators
Paranormal Activity 2
...
Sex and the City 2 (haven't seen the movie, but the trailers with those ugly hags scared the sh!t out of me, which is why it makes the list)

And there were plenty of other horror movies, such as Resident Evil: Afterlife, Saw 3D, and Romero’s Survival Of The Dead, while not great, were certainly better than Piranha 3D.

Apart from being the worst movie of 2010, Piranha 3D failed as even a horror movie because it was totally bereft of scares. I suppose I've been de-sensitized to gore, because the raw, eaten flesh or missing limbs didn't bother me at all. There wasn't even suspense or thrills, because you could see the kills coming. Was there any doubt that the topless para-sailing babe was going to get half-eaten? Even the "twist" at the end I predicted in the few seconds from when Christopher Lloyd said that the Piranhas were only babies; I thought, "Who's the most expendable character left?" The movie cuts to the marine biologist guy -- "Ah-ha! He's dead!" -- he asks the predictably dumb setup question and then EATEN. ~rolls eyes~ And as the credits rolled, my friends and I began ripping on the movie.

I realize the futility of arguing this case, because the fans of this movie inexplicably like it. I'm content with being the voice of dissent. Regardless, I truly believe that Piranha 3D was the worst movie of 2010 -- that I saw. Perhaps Twilight: Eclipse and Sex & the City 2 were worse, I don't know. But those three movies belong together.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Idioteque...'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
If you were the "genre fan" that you claim, you'd know that the original Piranha was a comedy-horror movie that parodied Jaws. The only thing funny about Piranha 3D is how awful and absurd it is.

You're also wrong about the best genre flick of 2010. Firstly, "Best of..." doesn't belong in the same sentence as.... "Piranha 3D" -- unless it's "Best of the Worst". Second, Kick-Ass was the best genre flick of 2010, followed closely by Machete.


Obviously, there's no accounting for taste.

Off the top of my head, the best horror movies of 2010 were:
Let Me In
The Crazies
Predators
Paranormal Activity 2
...
Sex and the City 2 (haven't seen the movie, but the trailers with those ugly hags scared the sh!t out of me, which is why it makes the list)

And there were plenty of other horror movies, such as Resident Evil: Afterlife, Saw 3D, and Romero’s Survival Of The Dead, while not great, were certainly better than Piranha 3D.

Apart from being the worst movie of 2010, Piranha 3D failed as even a horror movie because it was totally bereft of scares. I suppose I've been de-sensitized to gore, because the raw, eaten flesh or missing limbs didn't bother me at all. There wasn't even suspense or thrills, because you could see the kills coming. Was there any doubt that the topless para-sailing babe was going to get half-eaten? Even the "twist" at the end I predicted in the few seconds from when Christopher Lloyd said that the Piranhas were only babies; I thought, "Who's the most expendable character left?" The movie cuts to the marine biologist guy -- "Ah-ha! He's dead!" -- he asks the predictably dumb setup question and then EATEN. ~rolls eyes~ And as the credits rolled, my friends and I began ripping on the movie.

I realize the futility of arguing this case, because the fans of this movie inexplicably like it. I'm content with being the voice of dissent. Regardless, I truly believe that Piranha 3D was the worst movie of 2010 -- that I saw. Perhaps Twilight: Eclipse and Sex & the City 2 were worse, I don't know. But those three movies belong together.
Actually it was much better than Crazies. Crazies wasn't even scary one bit and it was muddled with cliches and was trying to be a good movie. Piranha was just a good way to kill time, it was entertaining and somewhat funny lol.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
thejnc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
SHould get to you Wednesday
Got it. But haven't watched it yet. Not to my wife's taste. So we watched Social Network last night. She has to work tonight, so maybe then (but probably will be gaming).
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Actually it was much better than Crazies. Crazies wasn't even scary one bit and it was muddled with cliches and was trying to be a good movie. Piranha was just a good way to kill time, it was entertaining and somewhat funny lol.
I bet anything that you're confusing gore with genuine scares. Gore isn't scary, it's disgusting. Horror fans like myself are de-sensitized to it; when I see gore, I focus more on how good the special effects are than feel scared or disgusted by it. While you use big-boy words like "muddled" and "clichés", I doubt that you could identify and articulate a genuine horror movie cliché in The Crazies or any other movie.

Unlike Piranha 3D, The Crazies had good scares. The part with the mother and her son hiding in the closet and peering through the keyhole, even though I knew what was coming, it still got me. There were many other scary parts, like in the funeral home, at the Sheriff's home, in the car wash, and at the truck stop.

My favourite things about The Crazies were that it had excellent pacing, the characters were well-developed, smart and rational, and the plot was believable. Piranha 3D had none of those things. And it's not like I'm a film snob that can't appreciate an entertaining popcorn flick. I can switch my brain off and enjoy a Michael Bay movie. But Piranha 3D was just so awful that I couldn't enjoy a single second of it. The characters, the acting, the plot, the dialogue, the direction, the obvious 3D exploitation -- all embarassingly terrible. I have no idea how they got first rate actors like Richard Dreyfus or Elizabeth Shue to be in this awful movie -- no, actually, I do: $$$.

Piranha 3D was so predictable I could anticipate every death and ignore every false alarm: when the Sheriff fell into the marsh = false alarm; when the marine biologists dove into the underground lake = dead; when the girl apparently disappeared and the boy dove in to look for her = false alarm; the topless para-sailer = dead; all of the "Girls Gone Wild" group = DEAD. Predictable, and totally bereft of suspense or thrills.

Then there was the big piranha feeding frenzy, which was supposed to be the highlight of the movie that the audience was waiting for for an hour. What should've taken less than 30 seconds for everyone to get out of the water, apparently lasted for fifteen minutes of screen-time. No one was further than 50 feet from dry land or a boat; even considering that the people were panicking and probably intoxicated, it shouldn't have taken them more than a minute. The party barge that tipped over; it made sense that it tipped, but after half of the people fell off, it would've righted itself -- it wouldn't have gone vertical, and sunk Titanic-style. And the only thing stupider than the deputies shooting the piranhas with their shotguns was the Sheriff zapping them with that tazer. Probably the worst thing was the unsatisfyingly ambiguous "death" of that @$$hole that mowed down all of the helpless people. I mean, he was the wussy protagonist's rival, and he selfishly killed countless people to save himself -- even though he was already safely aboard a large boat -- but the movie only shows the piranhas taking a few bites out of him? WTF!?

I could go on, but what would be the point? If I wanted to make a list of everything wrong with this movie, it would be simpler to get a copy of the script and say, "HERE. This is what's wrong with Piranha 3D" -- but perhaps I'm being too generous in assuming that this [email protected] movie had a script.

Seeing Piranha 3D in the theatre was bad enough; I should've known better than to watch this again. I was really angry at my friend for renting this movie when we knew how terrible it was. But at least he didn't buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Hunk Golden's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Default

I too think this is highly overrated. It's gotten great reviews all around. I'm not with the majority on this one. I like a lot of the people in it. I like some camp. This one just didn't work. Finally got around to seeing it in 3D in an empty theater (after walking out during a horrible experience the day after it opened)...I think it's the worst 3D movie I've seen (3D-wise). Maybe my screen was just too dark or something, but the 3D was very lame.

Not quite getting the love on this one, but to each their own.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Piranha - 3D (2010)' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 19 01-03-2012 06:26 PM
FS: Piranha (2010-CDN Version) TylerDurden10 Blu-ray Disc Exchange 0 02-05-2011 03:22 AM
PIRANHA (2010) - $17.93 - Jan. 11th-13th @ Walmart (Canada) tridon Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 1 01-08-2011 01:51 PM
'Piranha' - HIgh-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 25 11-11-2010 05:00 AM
"Piranha" (1978): May 4, 2010 Arkadin Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 12-27-2009 09:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off