'Piranha (2010)' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM

FYI. The explosion did not kill every fish in the lake. Elizabeth Shue's Character even said it's a start. It's a B movie that's all about the boobs and the blood. That is all it ever promised it intended to be and it delivered in that aspect. People got what they paid for and people were happy because it delivered on it's promises. This is pure B movie fun that doesn't take itself seriously, if it did it wouldn't probably be as well liked as it was.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
I can't believe how high this movie was scored, and how many posters here are in agreement. IMO Piranha 3D was the WORST movie of 2010. If you wanted to see a brainless-blood-&-boobs movie, then this movie certainly met such low expectations. But if you wanted to see a good horror movie, Piranha 3D was a terrible disappointment. There wasn't a likeable character in the movie -- except for the Sheriff, her two youngest children, and Christopher Lloyd's cliched scientist -- I was hoping that the super-piranhas killed EVERYONE else. The twist at the end was kinda good (if you don't bother to ask why the huge adult piranhas weren't in on the feeding frenzy); but the climax wherein an underwater explosion from two propane tanks somehow kills every demon fish in the entire lake? That was so ridiculous that it killed this movie too.

I'm a fan of boobs and horror movies, but the way Piranha 3D shamelessly exploited and combined the two was incredibly off-putting. This is a one-time, guilty-pleasure rental, at best. If you're stupid enough to buy it, you'd HIDE it from your girlfriend. I bet the posters who claimed that this movie is a no-brainer-first-day-buy will forget about this movie in a month or two, never watch it again... and then go see Piranha 3DD in theatre this summer.
This film certainly doesn't deserve a 4.5 rating but it was a good film for its exploitation genre.
Spoiler
It had lots of gore ,all the stereotyped paper thin charactered bad people died horribly (except the horny son who i hated as well) ,it had t+a and decent fish effects.
I liked the mother and her deputy .I'm actually surprised they killed off the one girls gone wild whores because they seemed to be waffling on whether she was just a slut or a sympathetic slut.
The final act was unusually gory for one of these films which i really liked.
The ending where they simplified the killing of all the fish was pretty typical for one of these films as well.In mega-piranha they merely cut a fish open and the feeding frenzy was sposed to kill them all which is even sillier.
I'm not sure that you're really a fan of exploitation cinema after reading your post.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorynArkayn View Post
I can't believe how high this movie was scored, and how many posters here are in agreement. IMO Piranha 3D was the WORST movie of 2010. If you wanted to see a brainless-blood-&-boobs movie, then this movie certainly met such low expectations. But if you wanted to see a good horror movie, Piranha 3D was a terrible disappointment. There wasn't a likeable character in the movie -- except for the Sheriff, her two youngest children, and Christopher Lloyd's cliched scientist -- I was hoping that the super-piranhas killed EVERYONE else. The twist at the end was kinda good (if you don't bother to ask why the huge adult piranhas weren't in on the feeding frenzy); but the climax wherein an underwater explosion from two propane tanks somehow kills every demon fish in the entire lake? That was so ridiculous that it killed this movie too.

I'm a fan of boobs and horror movies, but the way Piranha 3D shamelessly exploited and combined the two was incredibly off-putting. This is a one-time, guilty-pleasure rental, at best. If you're stupid enough to buy it, you'd HIDE it from your girlfriend. I bet the posters who claimed that this movie is a no-brainer-first-day-buy will forget about this movie in a month or two, never watch it again... and then go see Piranha 3DD in theatre this summer.
If you went to see it expecting a classic horror movie, you're just as stupid as the people you lament for liking it. The film is a great example of it's genre, but to go to a movie in that genre and then complain about it is just odd.

I loved this movie. Light-hearted, funny, great entertainment and all round cheesy. Great film.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM

I love cheesy movies, so there were many things I liked about this one. Unfortunately, not enough to make me buy it. Too self-aware, and not in a good way. Came off like 'Snakes on a Plane' cheese, rather than 'Eight Legged Freaks' cheese, (which is one of my genre favs). I will say the boobs and practical gore were much appreciated. CGI, and what I considered to be a fairly witless script, left me feeling I hadn't just watched a bad-in-a-good-way flick. Just a bad-in-a-SyFy-Channel-movie way.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Why is the director not being asked back for the sequal?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootball View Post
If you went to see it expecting a classic horror movie, you're just as stupid as the people you lament for liking it. The film is a great example of it's genre, but to go to a movie in that genre and then complain about it is just odd.

I loved this movie. Light-hearted, funny, great entertainment and all round cheesy. Great film.
Completely agree with you there...some people just dont get it :-)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM

I enjoyed it after a blind buy. We're snowed in down here, so it was a fun flick on a day off.

Gotta say, though, I'm annoyed that trailers have moved beyond giving away the ending, and instead are showing what amounts to the last shot of the film. (This one, Quarantine, Paranormal Activity).

I don't get why directors allow/are OK with that.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM

^ I'm super happy I didn't see the trailer then, because I thought the last few minutes were a complete hoot!

As for the movie itself, the main character was very annoying...and the movie played it way too safe with the gore for the first hour, and then came on way too strong in the last 30 minutes. I would have liked it more if the gore was more evened out through the film.

As for the nudity, I don't want to sound like a perv or anything....but the camera seemed to be pulled way back throughout a lot of the movie, and it made it seem more tame than it should have. It wasn't just a nudity thing though, it was more of a director's choce to have the camera pulled back through other scenes as well.

Overall, I'd give the movie a 3.5 out of 5. Like, "Machete", I was expecting to have a lot more fun with the first half of the film...but instead all the fun to be had was in the last half hour...
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM

I honestly think Aja makes MUCH smarter films than most of his audience understands. The Hills Have Eyes was masterful for its political commentary, but so much of that flies right over peoples' heads. Piranha was constantly winking and nudging, but unfortunately, a lot of people just don't "get it."
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I honestly think Aja makes MUCH smarter films than most of his audience understands. The Hills Have Eyes was masterful for its political commentary, but so much of that flies right over peoples' heads. Piranha was constantly winking and nudging, but unfortunately, a lot of people just don't "get it."
I dunno.I think the movie was a pretty unsophisticated blunt object really. There was no depth to the characters. People laugh at the SYFY originals but most of them have better character development than this.
The Girls Gone Wild guy was so over the top it was scary and the male lead was just your average horndog.