'Pink Panther 2' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonous View Post
With Steve Martin, there's just something so quietly preposterous with him just walking into the room with that stupid Clouseau ego/conceit .....I'm already laughing before he's said a word. And, if the words he does utter have anything to do with a particular American fast food ....

I think the movie does deserve to be judged on its own right (and not on the basis of some 30yr-old movies that no one today is bound to go out of their way to watch on video). It's Steve Martin. It's funny.
I just watched this last night and I have to thank Nate for his review. My expectations were so low, I REALLY enjoyed this movie.

I am totally with Damonous on this, Martin is just so absurd that I find him hillarious. Now the movie wasn't laugh out loud the entire way through but there WERE some really and truly laough out loud funny moments. In fact there was a spot at the beginning that had my wife and I completely cracking up. The middle and end were a little slower but I was happy to have rented it.

Considering the retail package comes with 3 hrs of classic PP cartoons I will prolly pick this up if I find it under $15.

Also, re: sellers, I have never seen (or can't remember seeing) him in the old Blake Edwards flicks. He might be funny as well, or even funnier, but I walked into this without the baggage of him owning the character and was able to enjoy this movie.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
uh huh...2 things wrong here.

1- you said this film was very good. that's like saying "hey i murdered someone before" as an excuse to try to get out of jury duty. some things are best never admitted.
The movie was very good. This isn't an excuse, but a fact.

Quote:
2- 4/5 and 3/5 are respectable scores, and the reasonings why they got said marks are detailed.
I stand by my original remarks. It is more than obvious that Nate's prejudice against this movie tainted his supposition for the aq and vq in the negative. The first looked and sounded stellar, and so will this one.

Quote:
cry foul all you'd like (as your post history shows, you do like to do such), but believe this or not, i write and score the audio and video reviews BEFORE i sit down to write out the film section. there are more to reviews than just the star ratings, you know, words in bunches, forming sentences, that explain how the scores were come to. WHARGARBL, much?
I am not crying foul, but simply holding him accountable for his review. You may find sub-standard s to be acceptable, I on the other hand do not. If a doesn't meet the highest of highest standards that the format allows for, then I'm going to point it out, as you so kindly refer to my post history; thank you.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictrmbl View Post
if you say so. ask nearly any critic and you're going to get the exact opposite opinion on this film. get used to it. 87% of critics called it a bomb. 87%. that's 5/6. or you can look at the other blu-ray sites. many found it to be equally dreadful.

Quote:
I stand by my original remarks. It is more than obvious that Nate's prejudice against this movie tainted his supposition for the aq and vq in the negative. The first looked and sounded stellar, and so will this one.
if you look for a conspiracy hard enough, eventually you'll find it. by find it, i mean convince yourself of it. and by convince yourself of it, i mean, seriously, get over it. you don't listen to the horse's mouth because you have a preconceived notion of what the horse thinks. and that right there is the horse's shit.

Quote:
I am not crying foul, but simply holding him accountable for his review. You may find sub-standard s to be acceptable, I on the other hand do not. If a doesn't meet the highest of highest standards that the format allows for, then I'm going to point it out, as you so kindly refer to my post history; thank you.
him? when you're replying to him, shouldn't you be holding me accountable? unless my reviewer persona and my forum persona have split.

ironic, when i find something substandard, it's in my scores, then it gets freaked out about. hmmm....doesn't sound like i found it "acceptable"...wait, that's not acceptable! think about your last sentence, and realize what the reviews on this forum are about. ironic, really.

Last edited by project-blu; 07-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
if you say so. ask nearly any critic and you're going to get the exact opposite opinion on this film. get used to it. 87% of critics called it a bomb. 87%. that's 5/6. or you can look at the other blu-ray sites. many found it to be equally dreadful.
Since when do my likes have anything to do with what a professional Critic thinks? Also since when do I have to like movies based on what others think? You can take your mind-indoctrinating critics (whom you obviously can't live without since you need them to dictate your likes and dislikes) and shove them down your brittle throat. And keep them there!
Quote:
if you look for a conspiracy hard enough, eventually you'll find it. by find it, i mean convince yourself of it. and by convince yourself of it, i mean, seriously, get over it. you don't listen to the horse's mouth because you have a preconceived notion of what the horse thinks. and that right there is the horse's shit.
You're one to talk because from this vantage point you write like an inane cretin. Seriously.
Quote:
him? when you're replying to him, shouldn't you be holding me accountable? unless my reviewer persona and my forum persona have split.

ironic, when i find something substandard, it's in my scores, then it gets freaked out about. hmmm....doesn't sound like i found it "acceptable"...wait, that's not acceptable! think about your last sentence, and realize what the reviews on this forum are about. ironic, really.
How am I supposed to know that you're the reviewer? It's not like you advertise it. For your information, I do know what these reviews are about, and let's keep the focus there: video, audio, and supplements. If I wanted your inchoate opinion on the movie itself, I'd go to a professional critic, not you! So please, whoever you are, stay on the subject and we'll both be happy. Great.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think you know what a fact is

Quote:
So you haven't even seen the disc yet you acuse him of bias?

Quote:
So you have high standards, but are angered by reviewers not giving a disc perfect ratings? You sound confused.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Jesus, Nate, it looks like you pissed on a beehive in here. I had no idea this movie even had fans!

Well, I for one, enjoyed the review.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0d View Post
Jesus, Nate, it looks like you pissed on a beehive in here. I had no idea this movie even had fans!

pissed on a beehive...gotta remember that one.

and thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0d View Post

Yes, I am a fan of this movie. It's funny, quite witty, and just very good. And I'm not alone. As to your previous post: I do know what a fact is; I was merely using the word 'fact' as an emphatic measure, not literally though. Yes, I have not seen the yet, but since the first one was very good, I can't imagine why the sequel would be lesser than its predecessor. It's obvious that Nate detests this movie to no end and that it is very likely it affected his judgement in scoring the video and audio. Normally I do not question a reviewer's verdict, but this warrants it.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Since when do my likes have anything to do with what a professional Critic thinks? Also since when do I have to like movies based on what others think? You can take your mind-indoctrinating critics (whom you obviously can't live without since you need them to dictate your likes and dislikes) and shove them down your brittle throat. And keep them there!
A survey of ALL of the professional critics is a bit telling of the MERIT and WORTH of a film, not of someone's PERSPECTIVE.

i like PLENTY of bad movies. i know they're not great, but i still enjoy them. that doesn't make them good, my enjoying them.

Quote:
You're one to talk because from this vantage point you write like an inane cretin. Seriously.
eyy name calling! fun times had by all! nothing better to counter point someone than to call 'em names! w00 w00!

Quote:
How am I supposed to know that you're the reviewer? It's not like you advertise it. For your information, I do know what these reviews are about, and let's keep the focus there: video, audio, and supplements. If I wanted your inchoate opinion on the movie itself, I'd go to a professional critic, not you! So please, whoever you are, stay on the subject and we'll both be happy. Great.
because i replied with the word "i" when you started saying Nate is biased blah blah blah? also, for over a month, my tag said "MOD. reviewer. ninja." you know, that middle word, kinda means i review things.

also, funnily enough, you're wrong. again. these reviews are about EVERYTHING concerning the disc, and that includes the movie that is on it. you refuse to admit that, despite having it "shoved down your brittle throat" as you say, every single time you disagree with a reviewer's opinion, but your refusal to accept that is your problem, and yours alone.

Quote:
Yes, I am a fan of this movie. It's funny, quite witty, and just very good. And I'm not alone. As to your previous post: I do know what a fact is; I was merely using the word 'fact' as an emphatic measure, not literally though. Yes, I have not seen the yet, but since the first one was very good, I can't imagine why the sequel would be lesser than its predecessor. It's obvious that Nate detests this movie to no end and that it is very likely it affected his judgement in scoring the video and audio. Normally I do not question a reviewer's verdict, but this warrants it.
Sometimes, an argument can be fun, when a second party can debate, counterpoint, and the discussion moves forward. When someone just repeats things over and over, and ignores the counterpoint, then it's just an exercise in futility. like talking to a wall. when arguments fall on deaf ears (in other words, when someone doesn't want to hear what you're saying), why bother talking in the first place again, 4/5 and 3/5 are actually good scores, respectable. if you refuse to accept that, on a blu-ray disc you have neither seen nor heard (and after this build up, you're going to convince yourself to see and hear perfection to further your "argument"), then it just isn't worth the time it takes to show someone how perplexing their prattle is anymore.

good day sir!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
EVERYTHING concerning the disc, and that includes the movie that is on it. you refuse to admit that, despite having it "shoved down your brittle throat" as you say, every single time you disagree with a reviewer's opinion, but your refusal to accept that is your problem, and yours alone.
One correction. His refusal to accept reality is our problem too, because we have to hear about it. And it sounds ridiculous. You're right though; it's definitely pointless to debate with someone who can't distinguish between fact and opinion.