High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Pink Panther 2' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/88358-pink-panther-2-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 07-06-2009 10:07 PM

'Pink Panther 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Pink Panther 2.' You might say he didn't like it. This Blu-ray has fairly strong video, sorta weak audio, some fawning extras, and not much to recommend any of it. You can skip this one.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2349/pinkpanther2.html

septim 07-06-2009 10:39 PM

I agree with Nate, this movie was an abomination. I actually thought the first "remake" was alright, but this was a huge piece of shit.

So sad to watch an obvious Steve Martin stunt double do lame slapstick schtick. Pitiful.

Mark Booth 07-07-2009 01:49 AM

Wow Nate, tell us what you REALLY think! :)

Seriously... I laughed out loud at your first paragraph. And that's all I needed to read to know I won't be bothering to rent PP2. The first Steve Martin PP was bad enough (which is tough for me to admit, because I am a BIG Steve Martin fan). If this one isn't better, I won't waste my time.

Mark

InspectorToschi 07-07-2009 03:52 AM

The only reason I saw this (And the first one for that matter) is because of Steve Martin. There's so many bad films out now that even a poor Steve Martin film is enough for me to go to the theater. It's bad when the film is merely an excuse to get out of the house...

Not that I'm trying to defend the film, but all this being said, Pink Panther 1 and 2 are harmless fun for young viewers. I'm assuming thats who they're aiming for. Ya, it's easy to trash them when they're following Peter Sellers. Personally though, I would actually rather watch SM's two Panther films instead of 4 from the original series. Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin was awful IMO. Same Goes with "Trail", "Curse", and especially "Son" of the Pink Panther.

Though Sellers initial four from Pink Panther, Shot In The Dark, to "Return" and "Revenge" are classic IMO. They should have stopped while they were ahead.

Motorheadache 07-07-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspectorToschi (Post 1602379)
Though Sellers initial four from Pink Panther, Shot In The Dark, to "Return" and "Revenge" are classic IMO. They should have stopped while they were ahead.

Hell, they should have at least stopped when Peter Sellers was NOT ALIVE. Trail of the Pink Panther is a very bizarre attempt to fake a character's presence when the actor playing him has died.

mictrmbl 07-07-2009 08:20 AM

No, Do Not Skip It

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZollyPlexReturns (Post 1602179)
Personally i enjoyed the movie, and i would hardly call the extras fawning. how can you not like the 3 hours of classic pink panther cartoons,the gag reel was quite funny as well. well worth the 23.47 i paid for it . . . and funny how the reviewer calls andy garcia,john cleese, and jean reno(all of whom still are seen quite often still in the multiplexs) has beens.

You hit it right on the nail. While this sequel wasn't as funny as the first one, this one is still very good. I couldn't help but detect an unfair bias and contempt from Nate for this movie, which I daresay clouded his mind to unfairly judge the video and audio. The first bbblu looked and sounded great, and I'm sure the second will be just as good if not better.

RoadLizard 07-07-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Yes, they should have. For all the anger I hear when they remake other types of films it surpirises me when you hear nothing of the blasphemy that these remakes are. And, I like Steve Martin a lot. Its nor his fault. Probably needed some cash.

Whatever.

project-blu 07-07-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mictrmbl (Post 1602445)
You hit it right on the nail. While this sequel wasn't as funny as the first one, this one is still very good. I couldn't help but detect an unfair bias and contempt from Nate for this movie, which I daresay clouded his mind to unfairly judge the video and audio. The first bbblu looked and sounded great, and I'm sure the second will be just as good if not better.

uh huh...2 things wrong here.

1- you said this film was very good. that's like saying "hey i murdered someone before" as an excuse to try to get out of jury duty. some things are best never admitted.

2- 4/5 and 3/5 are respectable scores, and the reasonings why they got said marks are detailed.

cry foul all you'd like (as your post history shows, you do like to do such), but believe this or not, i write and score the audio and video reviews BEFORE i sit down to write out the film section. there are more to reviews than just the star ratings, you know, words in bunches, forming sentences, that explain how the scores were come to. WHARGARBL, much?

Dr Kain 07-07-2009 03:44 PM

Just because it is a new series with a new actor does not make it bad, it makes it different. It aims to be funny, and that is what is achieved, what more do you want? It is not supposed to be the Peter Sellers series, otherwise it would have Peter Sellers. It is Steve Martin's series, just like how Daniel Craig's Bond is Daniel Cragi's and Connery's Bond is Connery's.

damonous 07-07-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZollyPlexReturns (Post 1602179)
Personally i enjoyed the movie, ...

...and funny how the reviewer calls andy garcia,john cleese, and jean reno(all of whom still are seen quite often still in the multiplexs) has beens.

Quote:

...Personally though, I would actually rather watch SM's two Panther films instead of 4 from the original series. Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin was awful IMO. Same Goes with "Trail", "Curse", and especially "Son" of the Pink Panther. ...

Both of you echo my opinion on the Martin Panther movies, to varying degrees. Actually, I'm much more with Zolly. I can't help it: maybe it's "wrong"; maybe no one else is laughing ..... but I'm barely able to keep my spleen from bursting every time I watch Martin as Clouseau. Take PP2: I had the free movie ticket from the PP1 BD (a double-dip for me, after having previously bought the DVD). I couldn't convince any friends to go, so I did the rare trip (for me) to go to the theater by myself on opening weekend.

And, while the fairly-well packed theater was fairly-well quiet for most of the show ...it was NOT quiet from my row.:D I was busting-up and cackling throughout the first half (although, I'll admit the 2nd half was not as good). I have yet to re-watch on BD, but it was a 'must buy' for me.

I have a friend who (like Nate) swears by Sellers ....yet, you'd have to hold a gun to my head to watch that guy prance about. You'd probably have to pull the trigger to make me laugh, too.:D

With Steve Martin, there's just something so quietly preposterous with him just walking into the room with that stupid Clouseau ego/conceit .....I'm already laughing before he's said a word. And, if the words he does utter have anything to do with a particular American fast food ....;)

I think the movie does deserve to be judged on its own right (and not on the basis of some 30yr-old movies that no one today is bound to go out of their way to watch on video). It's Steve Martin. It's funny.