'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM

I just watched (some) of this movie and I have to say this is about the most overrated, horribly unfunny movie I've had the displeasure of watching this year. I cannot believe it did so well at the box office. I'm very disappointed in Happy Madison for this one. Turned it off after 30 minutes. Very happy I didn't buy it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I'm very disappointed in Happy Madison for this one.
Have you seen Happy Madison's other productions? The company isn't exactly synonymous with "quality."
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post
As a movie itself, it is clearly inferior to most of the "good" comedies people have been buying on blu (i.e. Anchorman, Virgin, Walk Hard, etc).
I think what a lot of people don't get is that this is aimed at a younger audience. None of the better examples you list, that others are comparing this to, are suitable for a PG audience. I do think all of those movies are better, I'll never buy Paul Blart, but I own Walk Hard on BD. This is one for the kids that haven't had their equivalent of Anchorman or 40 Year Old Virgin, and also haven't seen this plot formula enough times to be tired of it. It is like comparing Curious George to Family Guy. I was entertained enough for it to be worth the rental, and as I said in my post above, respected its attempt to stay clean. Most of the funniest moments in the movies this is being compared to just couldn't make a PG rating, and that is a challenge. I expect it only to be enjoyed by kids, families watching with kids, or people interested in how to make a formula movie that is typically PG-13 or R into a PG film. Not the best of its genre, but not terrible, and the only of its genre with a family rating in a long time. I didn't realize how hyped it was, no one I talk to had seen it and I wasn't aware of its box office take, so I watched it with low expectations and liked it a little more than I thought I would. If you are expecting something great from the hype, it won't live up. I doubt you'll find a 10 year old that wouldn't enjoy it though, unless they are told it isn't good before they can form their own opinion. I still stand by the reviewer's "Give it a Rent" rating. Audiences too young for adult humor just haven't had a decent live-action underdog movie in recent years (and no, Underdog doesn't count! As good or a movie!). In that respect, this movie delivers.

As far as Happy Madison productions, the only other movie I'm aware of seeing by them is "Grandma's Boy" which I found extremely overhyped and insulting to anyone that knows the first thing about game development. I'm no game developer but I know the difference between bitmapping and bumpmapping, though that one is forgivable. What I found really distracting is that the characters didn't seem like parodies of any real nerds I know, and the fact that one guy is making an Xbox game that would have taken a team months to put together. I kept feeling like the movie was saying "We think you're an idiot and won't know any better" just like Independence Day did. Either of those movies could have gone completely goofy with the technology and used made up terms, or gotten it right, instead they try to sound like they know what they are talking about when they don't, just tossing out words they remember seeing in the last issue of Game Informer where they don't belong. It isn't hard to find a nerd around a movie studio to ask.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 PM

This movie was so boring. It was the most flat movie experience I've had in awhile. Pass and go for Observe & Report.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Hence, the movie-going population has a collective IQ with a decimal in front of the number.

This is why they keep making useless films like this and those even more useless romantic comedies that always seem to star Owen Wilson and some retread from the TV show Friends.
If you are referring to Marley and Me, then you must not have seen it as its only partly a romantic comedy and based on an autobiography.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM

I have to agree with a few others that commend this film for being family friendly through and through. It's incredibly rare these days to have a non-animated family comedy. It made the money it did because families were going together. I'm not a big fan of the film and would give it a 2.5/5, but it's harmless family fare. I can imagine a family with children ages 8-13 enjoying this very much. It knows its demo and doesn't try too hard.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM

I just cannot bring myself to waste my time watching this movie. The trailer did not even make me crack a smile and it just looks like the cheesiest movie ever. It must have been timing or something that this movie made so much at the box office. Another movie that was made to bring in dollars, hoping people would waste their money on seeing. It just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM

I don't think this movie was made with any expectations of cashing in like it did, I'm sure they thought they were taking a risk making a formula comedy with a PG rating. I do think the good box office is giving people expectations that it can't live up to. I usually keep up with how the box office is doing, and I knew this didn't totally bomb, but didn't find out until after I saw it how well it actually did. I think going in just expecting something funny and cheesy is the best way to go, I'm glad I didn't have big expectations. I think Roger Ebert summed up my feelings on it better than I did. While I keep up with his reviews, I disagree with him as strongly and as often as I agree with him, I just know how he thinks, his bad reviews can make me want to see a movie, his good ones can make me not, but when we do agree, it seems to be for the same reasons. Paul Blart is one we agree on. For those that haven't already made an opinion without giving the movie a chance, check out his review that highlights the same positives I found in the film, written in much better form than I could ever arrange my ideas: Ebert's Review. It still isn't for everyone, but as the reviewer said here, it isn't a terrible film. To me it was just this side of good.

As someone that is into actually shooting short films and hopefully something full length, I liked how Ebert points out that the movie is a great example of camera angle and lighting changing how we see a character. He is a fat goofy slob at the beginning, but by the time he is trying to save the day, the camera is a little lower, and the lighting a little different, making him look like a perfectly acceptable hero type. I think I will watch it again just to take notes on how this was handled. Liking it or not aside, a good lesson for filmmakers, though I realize that wasn't this movie's main point. Good use of the subconscious to evoke different perceptions of a character though.

Last edited by Hastor; 05-21-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 AM

Just saw this one with the kids. A few laughs, but nothing special. One time watch and that is all I ever want or need in this flick. Review was spot on.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 AM

Just watched with my wife. Probably similar to the review here, but my thoughts are up in my own review at Amazon.com.