'Paprika' - High-Def Digest review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon_flux View Post
one of the best drawn and with one of the greatest soundtrack ever written (by plaid) but the story is so shallow that you can hardly root for those kids.
Really? You don't think there's a significant amount of literary metaphor to make hay out of? I did.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Brown View Post
Really? You don't think there's a significant amount of literary metaphor to make hay out of? I did.
the metaphor of industrialisation and the costumer society? the nearing winter as the dusk of men? i think that's weary and thin as ice. but to hell with it: the release will worth the price beacause it's the perfect eye candy.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM

Awesome, gonna pick this up. Bring on Jin-Roh review please
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon_flux View Post
the metaphor of industrialisation and the costumer society? the nearing winter as the dusk of men?
I suppose those as well, although it's difficult to throw a brick in the hall of literary tropes and not hit at least one industrialisation metaphor these days.

I was thinking more along culturally specific lines. Japan's supercharged youth-phobia contrasted with its youth-mania, for example. Or Snake as the unidentified other—especially interesting once one takes into account just who's credited as director on this picture.

Maybe it's just that I really dig oddball magical realism in my gritty street movies.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
'The Promise' was in a list of upcoming hi-def titles that was accidentally released and subsequently pulled from the Warner's hi-def site.
The Promise is a really, really awful movie. Really awful. I wouldn't get too excited about that one. A High-Def transfer is only going to show off how fake the terrible CGI looks, anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Brown View Post

I was thinking more along culturally specific lines. Japan's supercharged youth-phobia contrasted with its youth-mania, for example. Or Snake as the unidentified other—especially interesting once one takes into account just who's credited as director on this picture.
have you seen mind game? you'd love it.

i think the segregation of young and old can be found in every other japanese movie from battle royale to suicide club. so that's not a new sensation either but maybe i'm just bitchy.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Hello fellas, as you can see, I'm new here. I have been lurking the site for a year though. In any case, I have a question about the transfer itself. I just picked this particular disc up, and while I find the sound and visuals to be relatively impressive, I noticed that the disc exhibited some weird framing. The disc is supposed to be framed at 1.85:1, which would mean that it would nearly fill our 1.78:1 HD screens. This is not the case with my disc. It has a slight black border around the entire screen. This border is non-existent with any other 1.85:1 Blu Ray that I own. I read the review, and didn't see anything mentioned, so I am wondering if I have a defective copy. The sound, picture, and menus all seem fine, so it is a tad puzzling.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The Promise is a really, really awful movie. Really awful. I wouldn't get too excited about that one. A High-Def transfer is only going to show off how fake the terrible CGI looks, anyway.
Agreed, but for all it's faults (and there are many) it's a good looking movie (CGI aside). The shallow person within me is looking forward to some hi-def Cecilia Cheung.

Out of interest, which cut did you see, the full Chinese cut or the US version?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
Out of interest, which cut did you see, the full Chinese cut or the US version?
Chinese version. I reviewed it on DVD here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21039
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM

The Promise was definitely more of a visual treat, but the storyline was very weak.

Can't wait to see this one, seems like another visual treat, ala Ghost in the Shell: Innocence.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael