Packaging Instructions for Your 'Back to the Future' Blu-rays - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
The best multi-film release packaging is the simple basic multi-disc Blu-ray case like Blade Runner and The Godfather sets came in.
Indeed!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHunt View Post
This is a good PR move by Universal. I like that play.

Doesn't make up for killing off the Back to the Future ride in Disney World though, NOT COOL.
ummm, do you mean universal studios Florida???? not Disneyworld??

For me... i was interested in buying, but if the packaging is retarded, i can wait for a second box set or buy each movie individually on sale. i am not in a rush.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM

they still had the delorean and the train out in front of where the ride was housed the last time i went
Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Good thing I did not buy this boxset. I am waiting until the individual release of Part 1.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Its really sad that they have instructions on how to get the discs out. Universal should be embarrassed over this, but it doesn't seem like they are. It also seems like they don't care at all either. I e-mailed Universal about this issue and they sent me a response saying they will forward my comments to the correct department and that they will send me instructions in a separate e-mail. Hopefully they forward these types of e-mails to the "how to make a normal standard disc case for Blu-ray movies" department.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

I just don't undrestand why these jackasses continue to refuse to just give us standard Blu-ray cases. If it's a set my strong preference is for thincases in a sturdy box like Matrix or Star Trek movies.

These lame attempts at packaging don't neccessarily prevent me from buying movies I REALLY want bad, but it makes it MUCH less likely I will pick up movies that are in the "maybe" column. BTTF are in that category, as well as the TMNT movies.

The Alien box looks really sharp, but my discs were scratched by the cardboard straight out of the package.

I wish the Blu-ray standrad had mandated standard packaging. If they want to then stick them in whatever crappy outer box to grab attention then fine, but give me the option of pulling standard cases out and sticking them up on my shelf without having them stick out like a sore thumb.

I also hate digibooks and digipacks.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaymofo View Post
As bad as the BTTF case is, the Alien Anthology is worse.
Yup. That's why I got the UK version of AA...and why I'll be ordering the BTTF from the UK as well.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
I'll be ordering the BTTF from the UK as well.
Yeah this should've been the real instructions they sent out: "Get the UK version". I ordered mine last night, I just hope there aren't any random PAL/NTSC issues with anything. I'm not one that usually harps on packaging/art, but not only are the cases crap they just threw on the lamest text-only silkscreening on the discs themselves while UK gets this very nice creative look with the 3 different Martys. Looking back at my dvd set they at least had the nice one-sheet art on them, I really can't understand why they went so shoddy for the release here.

Last edited by balsho; 11-02-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddie View Post
BTTF are in that category, as well as the TMNT movies.
Yeah, but at least the TMNT box set had a reason for being the way it was. The TMNT "pizza box" is actually pretty neat, and it is relevant to the series in some way. The BTTF box set has no reason to be designed like that, other than to annoy the hell out of everybody.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
lmfao, this takes the cake
100%. I don't have this set, but you just gotta' love the instruction pdf: the hands are depicted so contorted in the drawing, that one has to believe this is not only a difficult experience, but a painful one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaymofo View Post
As bad as the BTTF case is, the Alien Anthology is worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
Yup. That's why I got the UK version of AA...and why I'll be ordering the BTTF from the UK as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddie View Post
I just don't undrestand why these jackasses continue to refuse to just give us standard Blu-ray cases. If it's a set my strong preference is for thincases in a sturdy box like Matrix or Star Trek movies.

These lame attempts at packaging don't neccessarily prevent me from buying movies I REALLY want bad, but it makes it MUCH less likely I will pick up movies that are in the "maybe" column. BTTF are in that category, as well as the TMNT movies.

The Alien box looks really sharp, but my discs were scratched by the cardboard straight out of the package.

I wish the Blu-ray standrad had mandated standard packaging. If they want to then stick them in whatever crappy outer box to grab attention then fine, but give me the option of pulling standard cases out and sticking them up on my shelf without having them stick out like a sore thumb.

I also hate digibooks and digipacks.
I was wondering if any of the 3 of you could elaborate on what sucks so bad about the Alien Anthology packaging. I was seriously considering purchasing this set over the weekend, but all the local Best Buy's were actually out of stock. I know this is the BTTF thread, but I have seen a video online of the Alien set, and it seemed pretty cool the way it was laid out with the discs within the book.

--Is the problem really just the tendency to slide-out and scratch (as happened to DigitalFreakNYC)? ...Or is it worse than that?

On another note: DigitalFreakNYC, you bring-up some good points. I am not a fan of the digibooks, either (mostly for the reason that they are JUST too big to fit nicely on a 'tightly-packed' shelf with regular blu-rays).

But, on the converse, I do like things like the Target special editions of Iron Man 1, Star Trek, and Dark Knight, and the Best Buy spec ed of Terminator Salvation (better known as the "head" and "ship" editions). Your proposed 'mandate' would prevent some really cool inventive ideas.

I think the real problem is just the cheap bastards at Universal. Or, maybe they're not cheap, and just take "thinking outside of the box" (literally) too far. I have the old HD-DVD Season 1 BSG set, and that is one DELICATE, dainty lil' thing. Inventive. Maybe cheap. But kinda' cool from a distance.

...Just (again) thinking WAY so far out of the box, that there is no box!!