High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Owl City: Live from Los Angeles' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/123356-owl-city-live-los-angeles-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 02-07-2012 07:20 PM

'Owl City: Live from Los Angeles' - High-Def Digest Review

Read our review of 'Owl City: Live from Los Angeles!'

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6205/owl_city_la.html

VincentVinyl 02-07-2012 09:51 PM

Completely agree with the review, as I was also a The Postal Service and Death Cab fan.

Owl City is mainly a rip off and it is nice easy listening pop music that is quite catchy but also quite forgettable and not very unique. It surely does not harm anyone, but it will not be remembered when itīs gone either.

custos 02-08-2012 12:41 AM

*sigh* Another amateur review with no fact checking.

I am slightly amused at the split personality vibe I am getting from this review. The article says it's by one guy so I will proceed with that in mind.

Luke says the sound of this particular concert is "monotonous." And Yet he proceeds to praise and admit the perfect mixing and implementing skills of Adam here. Kinda confused me to his position on how the sound quality was in the Bluray.

Well, besides that, I would like to point out a fact, in response to his comments on the music being "amateurish" Adam IS a amateur musician. That point wouldn't have bothered me so much, except he is comparing Adam to professional musicians who have been classically trained, and on tour (with loads of money) with skilled artists for many many years. Hence Adams beginner filming experiment is, just that. Haha.

But perhaps the most annoying part of the review is the is Luke's opinion that Adam has "ripped" the sound of the Postal Service. *sigh* If Luke had bothered to even casually listen to an interview with Adam, Adam specifically states that he had never heard of the Postal Service when he started his music making. Like me, Adam had to search up who the Postal service was. I have moved in music circles and venues ranging from rock, to blues, to country, and even hip hop for many years with a very diverse group of people. And in all my years I have never heard of the Postal Service. And with good reason haha, they are very monotonous, and not very catchy. Hence the obscurity.

I am familiar with FL studio, the program Adam first used, and it is geared for electronic sounds and loops, so it doesn't surprise me that Adams music has grown from that genre. His greatest strength though is his lyrics. They are by far the cleverest whimsical wordplay you will hear on the radio, although sadly innocent music doesn't seem to be sophisticated enough for the music "connoisseurs" of today.

lifeat30fps 02-08-2012 01:28 AM

I hope dude is as tough with movies as he is with a kid who was inspired to try his own hand at music.

I mean, any tragic romance is obviously a ripoff of at least Romeo and Juliet and shouldn't be considered an artistic endeavor, right?

Any vampire movie is a blatant ripoff of Dracula and has no merit, obviously.

Lovecraft? Totally ripped off Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Might as well nuke Rome since it was a ripoff of Ancient Greece, right?

We can destroy the Beatles masters since they were just ripping off Elvis. We can destroy the Elvis masters since he was just ripping off black folks. John Williams is ripping off Copeland. Copeland is ripping off Debussy. Wagner is ripping off Bach and Beethoven. Destroy all the guitars because they are just bastardized sitars. We don't need The Godfather II because we have The Godfather. We don't need The Godfather because we have all the crime films from the 40s. We don't need Heston as Ben Her because they had already made a version in the silent era.

I mean, in this world, we cannot have appreciation of a kid listening to something, liking it and trying his own hand at it.

VincentVinyl 02-08-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Luke says the sound of this particular concert is "monotonous." And Yet he proceeds to praise and admit the perfect mixing and implementing skills of Adam here. Kinda confused me to his position on how the sound quality was in the Bluray.
Cant see any contradiction there: He says the songs are monotonous but from a technical aspect the mix is well done. It is like saying a movie has a boring story but is well shot by the cameraman.

Quote:

If Luke had bothered to even casually listen to an interview with Adam, Adam specifically states that he had never heard of the Postal Service when he started his music making. Like me, Adam had to search up who the Postal Service was. I have moved in music circles and venues ranging from rock, to blues, to country, and even hip hop for many years with a very diverse group of people. And in all my years I have never heard of the Postal Service. And with good reason haha, they are very monotonous, and not very catchy. Hence the obscurity.
Death Cab For Cutie are one of the most famous Independent acts of the whole planet and The Postal Service is a side project of their frontman Ben Gibbard with a member of Dntel. Their album with quite a hit in the Independend scene and their songs are still played very often in clubs here in Germany. All people that I know who even sporadically listen to Indie music know them. Canīt speak for the USA but I recall they also made a lasting impression in the indie scene there.

And to say that songs like "Such great heights" are not catchy amazes me...Maybe Adam did not know them, maybe he did. It is highly unlikely he would go public and admit "Yeah, I listen to The Postal Service nonstop and mainly try to sound like them, only more commerical." :-).

I can understand if someone likes Owl City for what it is. And of course there are many similarities between bands without making one a rip off of one another. But in this case I would also go as far and say Owl City just sounds like a lighter, poppier version of The Postal Service - even the singing style is extremely alike.

grabinski84 02-08-2012 10:39 AM

Postal Service.

Postal Servie were HUGE. Not having heard of them indicates Owl City and these commenters are not very knowledgable about music. Not surprising since Owl City are awful.

VincentVinyl 02-08-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Postal Servie were HUGE. Not having heard of them indicates Owl City and these commenters are not very knowledgable about music.
At least not about Independent music. The Postal Service were a huge phenomenon and are still regularly played in big Indie clubs. So saying they are obscure is very daring...

That is why I doubt Owl Cityīs Adam never heard about them. Probably some PR guy just told him if anyone mentions The Postal Service it would just be best to say he never listened to their music, so the copycat stuff will not go even further.

caliminius 02-08-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VincentVinyl (Post 2295780)
At least not about Independent music. The Postal Service were a huge phenomenon and are still regularly played in big Indie clubs. So saying they are obscure is very daring...

How is that daring? Huge to who? To the general populace or only to those heavily into the indie music scene? I have a couple of Death Cab for Cutie albums but I've never heard of The Postal Service. And to be an honest I'm not even sure what an "Indie club" would actually be defined as let alone what would constitute a big one. I've listened to albums by several symphonic metal bands but I couldn't tell you if they were big names in that genre or not. You can like a genre and not be heavily invested in it enough to know major details about it.

VincentVinyl 02-08-2012 08:15 PM

Well The Postal Services Album was the most succesful of their label (Sub Pop) since they released Nirvanaīs "Bleach" so I guess that says a lot about their popularity.

Of course people who just listen to music that is in the top ten of the charts will not know The Postal Service, but they probably would not know many other bands that sold millions of albums either. "Such great heights" was even used in TV spots.

The debut and only album of The Postal Service "Give up" won Gold in the US and Canada and was on the top position of the Billboard charts for electronic / dance, the billboard Heatseekers charts and third place in the billboard Independent charts.

So to say they are an obscure band is quite inappropriate in my opinion and based on the facts mentioned above :-).

Even the real US Postal Service used their songs in advertisements und sold their CDs via their webiste.