'Oblivion' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
Make it SER Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer. Whatever else he is, the man's still a knight.

- Stannis the mannis
I stand corrected
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Pacific Rim was pretty much a live action, Americanized version of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Evangelion has nothing to do with Del Toro's film. That was not one of the influences.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Looking forward to blind buying this one. Great review.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Looking forward to blind buying this one. Great review.
Thanks. Also, wanted to thank everyone with kind words about this review. It's appreciated.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchapp View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Evangelion has nothing to do with Del Toro's film. That was not one of the influences.
Oh come on. Evangelion is a show about humans piloting giant robots to fight giant monsters, and you don't see any connection between that and Pacific Rim? Of course it was one of the influences. Pretty obviously so.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Oh come on. Evangelion is a show about humans piloting giant robots to fight giant monsters, and you don't see any connection between that and Pacific Rim? Of course it was one of the influences. Pretty obviously so.
Agreed. I heard some of Pacific Rim's shots are homages to Evangelion as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Just a reminder. There are 2 or 3 other 'Pacific Rim' threads. Lets try to keep this one 'Oblivion' related. Thanks!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-25-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Oh, so Evangelion is the only show with human piloting robots? Okay. lol.
But seriously, PR is Del Toro's love letter to the programs of his youth. He grew up in the 70's, not the 90's. Plus Evangelion is an inversion of Ultraman according to it's creator.
Del Toro has never seen Evangelion, so how can it be an influence?
Was it shown on Mexico television in the 70's?
Google helps. If you care to look it up, Del Toro freely admits his influences and Evangelion is not one of them.
:-)
Sorry Josh, but you walked right into that one. ;-)

Last edited by Dchapp; 07-25-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 AM

From a recent online chat (read all the pages to get an overview of what influenced him). :-)

GuillermoDelToro
04 July 2013 10:53am
"I'll happily admit to any influence - like Patlabor, or Testujin 28 or many other mecha/pilot anime or manga from a long genealogy - I was born in 1964 and thus privy to most of the evolution of the mecha and Kaiju genres. However, Evangelion remains something I am yet to watch. I enthusiastically bought some of the figures based on the design, and hope to see the anime soon, but the answer remains, so far "no".
Thank you to everyone who posted a question, I enjoyed it and hope you did too."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...?commentpage=2
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=ttringle;2413579]I saw the movie twice at the IMAX and never noticed the ratio changes, which embarrasses me a bit because I notice that type of thing very easily.

Don't be embarrassed, you were watching the movie. "The Dark Knight", I forget the ratio changes. Nothing wrong with that.