'Need for Speed' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM

If you're a Disney 3D fan then you should automatically buy a region free player if you don't already own one. It sure beats being pissed every time they release a 3D movie elsewhere but not here, or paying $20-$30 more for a Brazilian or Hong Kong version just because it's region A (not to mention that the cover and menus are in a foreign language).
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM

What an excellent review. Actually, it's more akin to a thesis or a dissection. Well-written and intelligent. Hats off to Michael.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Yeah....I'm pre ordering the 3D version as well from Zavvi. Not steelbook though. But both the steelbook and the regular 3D blu releases from Zavvi have Maleficent listed as region b. Does this mean it only works on region b players or is it something they list automatically but is really region free?? Confused!
Zavvi says pretty much everything is Region B, even when proven otherwise. Just laziness I guess.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Ok just watched my copy and Holy Sh-t!!! This is the best looking blu-ray I've seen since Pacific Rim. Reference indeed. As for the sound, perfect as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find it a lot more bass heavy than I remembered in the theater or what the reviewer lead on. This disc gave my system a very nice workout. This goes in the demo pile for sure.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman208 View Post
Ok just watched my copy and Holy Sh-t!!! This is the best looking blu-ray I've seen since Pacific Rim. Reference indeed. As for the sound, perfect as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find it a lot more bass heavy than I remembered in the theater or what the reviewer lead on. This disc gave my system a very nice workout. This goes in the demo pile for sure.
Too bad the the movie itself makes it go into that Holy pile.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 PM

FYI, VUDU has this for rent, in 3D for $6.99 (IIRC). I haven't watched it yet, but plan on it.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Yo, Jessie acted the s*** out of that b****!

Seriously though, you can tell he really tried on this one, out acting everyone else around him. Not by a huge margin, but enough to wonder if him and his crew were in a tonally different movie.

As for the movie itself...a lot of stupid stuff happens. Enough for me to not bother picking it all apart here. Well, maybe
Spoiler
I'll point out the risk of racing using evidence in a vehicular homicide...I hope that paint transfer is still the only one on there by the end of the race....or the fact that the prize was all the other (totaled) cars. Great prize. No money to save the garage then, and he also was given the (now totaled) Mustang on the premise he'd give the owner 2 million in cars.

Anyway, the insane wrecklessness on display makes sense when you think of the same exact type of racing playing out in the video games...but it made all the racers come off like asses, even the main character, when they so willingly put the public's lives at risk.

Still, this was one of those movies I enjoyed because it was an average flick made more fun by way of decent 3D. Not really any 3D gimmick shots, but the first person driving (with the HUD) was pretty enjoyable in 3D.

Worth the $6.99 rental, for me.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM

Can anyone that purchased any of the 3D versions comment on the quality (PQ, AQ, 3D)? Thanks in advance.