'Napoleon Dynamite: 10th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-05-2014, 03:52 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
Default

The review is fine for what it is, but this is a movie where the sum of its parts are greater than the whole. This was 'classic 80s' for me in a large sense; the only misstep was the "Backstreet Boys" song. Anyway, you'll either 'get' Napoleon or you won't. This move is a good time, definitely.

If this line makes you smirk, even in the least, you owe it to yourself to watch Napoleon Dynamite.

Deb: "What's a Liger?"

Napoleon Dynamite: "It's pretty much my favourite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic."


That's gold, Jerry... GOLD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 25
Default

Vote for Pedro.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 73
Default

I've not got much to say but this movie is a 5 star Classic.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Yes, the T-1000 Review Robot will be installed shortly on HDD's website.
It will remove all subjective human bias. All comedies will be reduced to
0s and 1s with binary evaluation for objective measurement of funny.
What, do you don't acknowledge that there exists objective measurement of artistic merit? Have you ever heard of the term "taste", or more specifically, someone referring to somebody elses "good taste"? You appear to have no idea what the term means. I wonder, if somebody told you they thought Godfather, Seven Samurai, and Citizen Kane were all horribly shot movies, not worth a 1/10 rating, and that Setzer and Friedburg were the giants of our time, you would consider this position equally vallid as any other? Because otherwise, you deny subjectivity, and you are already on my side, in this case, the correct side.

Humans have inherent aesthetic appreciations. Art which taps into this is objectively better than art which does not. For example, music which is most pleasurable has been found in studies to resemble speech syntax.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I think as a rule, reviewers with a bias against a particular movie should not review it. I personally think Napolean Dynamite is a perfect piece of post-modern comedy, and that it is far superior by any objective measurement than these by-numbers Judd Apatow movies&clones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Yes, the T-1000 Review Robot will be installed shortly on HDD's website.
It will remove all subjective human bias. All comedies will be reduced to
0s and 1s with binary evaluation for objective measurement of funny
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
What, do you don't acknowledge that there exists objective measurement of artistic merit? Have you ever heard of the term "taste", or more specifically, someone referring to somebody elses "good taste"? You appear to have no idea what the term means. I wonder, if somebody told you they thought Godfather, Seven Samurai, and Citizen Kane were all horribly shot movies, not worth a 1/10 rating, and that Setzer and Friedburg were the giants of our time, you would consider this position equally vallid as any other? Because otherwise, you deny subjectivity, and you are already on my side, in this case, the correct side.

Humans have inherent aesthetic appreciations. Art which taps into this is objectively better than art which does not. For example, music which is most pleasurable has been found in studies to resemble speech syntax.
Whoa, Nelly.

You go from comparing Napoleon Dynamite to Judd Apatow movies... to
references to the Godfather! Seven Samurai!! Citizen Kane!!! Let's not
go hyperbolic.

Your argument is... is... who knows what you mean? It seems that half
way through your argument you DO understand that it all is SUBJECTIVE
measurements of artistic merit. But you make an incorrect leap at your
conclusion to say that it becomes OBJECTIVELY measured.

An overwhelming SUBJECTIVE agreement of expert opinions still add up
to a collection of SUBJECTIVE measures. Even at 100% agreement, it
never becomes an OBJECTIVE measurement of funny, of artistic merit,
of beauty, of pleasurable music, etc.

Yes, you like Napoleon Dynamite more than Judd Apatow movies. Good
for you. Just stop acting like there is some OBJECTIVE algorithm that
proves your opinion to be a universal truth of nature and reality.

And let's not get into Objectivism and theories of ideal forms of beauty
and other Platonic or Hegelian bullsh*t.

-----

Let me correct you with precision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Humans have inherent aesthetic appreciations.
Humans have aesthetic appreciations, learned consciously or subconsciously
that are similar to other humans of their culture and their collective
experiences.

Have you not seen a foreign film and people of that culture laugh
uncontrollably at something you don't find that funny?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 83
Default

I will account for cultural differences, but a sufficiently educated film enthusiast can overcome those barriers.

And the point is that there is objectivity to art. To all art. This is why someone that goes to film school, and makes it a career to review cinema, like a Roger Ebert (Rip) is a better judge of film than you, I, or 99% of the population.

Art appreciation and art enjoyment are two different things. You could like a bad movie, and hate a great movie. Examples would be Norbit and Citizen Kane, respectively. If someone said that in their opinion Citizen Kane is a horrible film, their opinion would in fact be wrong. Demonstrably so, in fact.

In that case, the viewers taste has not developed sufficiently to appreciate the quality of the film. It would be like a truck driver at a wine show, finding nothing tastes much better than the $10 bottle he buys Friday at the liquor store.

As you grow in your knowledge of film, nuance and pacing become paramount. Many film fans incorrectly praise mundane and trivial films (those by the likes of Bay, Emmerich, Jurassic World, etc), as their exposure to proper cinema is underdeveloped. There's nothing wrong with that, except when said people begin acting like film reviewers. Just as I wouldn't tell you how to build your house, an ignorant film goer should abstain from qualitstive evaluation of cinema.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Napoleon Dynamite: 10th Anniversary Edition' is coming February 4 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 1 01-30-2014 06:43 PM
Napoleon Dynamite and Smokin' Aces Blu-rays for sale cheap or trade thelwig14 Blu-ray Disc Exchange 1 05-26-2011 03:29 PM
"Napoleon Dynamite", "Sideways": 2/3/09 Arkadin Blu-ray Software General Discussion 58 02-16-2009 05:15 AM
Napoleon Dynamite & Office Space $17.99 Frys.com etorres04 Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 7 02-03-2009 10:44 PM
Little Miss Sunshine, Napoleon Dynamite, Office Space, Sideways hits Blu-ray 2/3/09 dvdandblu-raymovies Blu-ray Software General Discussion 5 10-30-2008 11:39 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off