High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   My review of The Host (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/13271-my-review-host.html)

messin18 07-28-2007 04:44 PM

My review of The Host

*** This contains some very minor spoilers ***

I just watched this movie on blu-ray.

The picture and sound quality were fantastic. (4.5/5 pq), (4.0/5 sq) The movie was very visually interesting. It had a great look and feel to it.

The movie itself? Not all the great. I understand the high IMDb score as it's one of the biggest Korean movies ever but it doesn't exactly hold up to Hollywood.

The strengths? The characters were unique and like able. The family dynamic was interesting, believable, and moving.

There were a few very good stand out scenes. The first look at the monster attacking people, the break out from the hospital, and the brother getting away from the cops were all good.

The Weaknesses? The premise of the film is a big bad evil white American doctor forces a poor Korean employee to dump hundreds of bottles of chemicals down the drain because there is dust on them...

When your entire movie is based of of such a flimsy start it's hard to build from there.

The story doesn't get much better. Filled with a bit too much anti-US propaganda as well. It gets in the way of a realistic story imo.

The CGI on the monster is OK. It looks a bit dated but isn't all that bad.

The story kind of drags on. At times isn't very believable (this monster with huge teeth was able to "hold" the girl without harm twice) Like i said it's an OK movie with some great visuals. But if you're looking for a truly enthralling gripping story like Jaws this isn't it. Whoever put "on par with Jaws" on the cover should be ashamed.

Cochise 07-28-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by messin18 (Post 222192)
*** This contains some very minor spoilers ***

I just watched this movie on blu-ray.

The picture and sound quality were fantastic. (4.5/5 pq), (4.0/5 sq) The movie was very visually interesting. It had a great look and feel to it.

Thanks for the review. I want it anyway. Can you confirm the Blu-ray has PCM audio?

Thanks.
:)

Rabiose 07-28-2007 05:17 PM

I watched this movie yesterday, what struck me is that the movie is an odd rollercoaster of style and pace. It is like they could not decide what kind of movie to make, at times it tries to be funny with a silly cast of characters joking around and doing stupid things. Some parts of the movie is kid friendly godzilla like action, with no gore, then suddenly there is skulls, goo and everything. The pace at the beginning and the end of the movie was fast, it kind of dragged along in the middle.. And maybe I just had a hard time following the movie, but something appeared to be inconsistent in the story too.

But anyway I really liked it as a whole, and I agree that the picture quality is great (especially when compared to the DVD releases). The only thing I can complain about is the slight overuse of edge enhancing in a few scenes.

Oh and btw there is an easter egg on the special features page ;)

messin18 07-28-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CochiseGuy (Post 222210)
Thanks for the review. I want it anyway. Can you confirm the Blu-ray has PCM audio?

Thanks.
:)

Yeah PCM in Korean and English dub... I went with PCM koren w/ english subs.

messin18 07-28-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabiose (Post 222232)
I watched this movie yesterday, what struck me is that the movie is an odd rollercoaster of style and pace. It is like they could not decide what kind of movie to make, at times it tries to be funny with a silly cast of characters joking around and doing stupid things. Some parts of the movie is kid friendly godzilla like action, with no gore, then suddenly there is skulls, goo and everything. The pace at the beginning and the end of the movie was fast, it kind of dragged along in the middle.. And maybe I just had a hard time following the movie, but something appeared to be inconsistent in the story too.

But anyway I really liked it as a whole, and I agree that the picture quality is great (especially when compared to the DVD releases). The only thing I can complain about is the slight overuse of edge enhancing in a few scenes.

Oh and btw there is an easter egg on the special features page ;)

I know what you mean about it feeling inconsistent and and "odd rollercoaster of style and pace"

As i was watching it i had an odd sense of "This COULD be really good" just didn't seem to all come together.

John32 07-28-2007 11:15 PM

messin18--

Well, first off the premise of the film is based on an an actual real event U.S. did dump chemicals in the Han river in Korea.

Also, the person who put the "on par with Jaws" quote was Harry Knowles from Aint It Cool news.

Incidentally, I thought the movie was great. Glad to hear that the PQ is very good. I should be getting this delivered sometime next week.

CaptainCanuck 07-28-2007 11:44 PM

I liked the movie but thought the monster should have been much more evil with more personality.Even after the movie was over i couldn't figure out what it was up to.
About 20 minutes could have been lopped off without much loss to tighten it up also.Most of that would have been the character building of the big fat loser guy.:)
I never really picked up much on the anti-american stuff.

Godstar 07-29-2007 12:35 AM

I've never even heard of the movie. I'll have to look it up.

cooltobeyou 07-29-2007 02:32 AM

I picked this movie up as a blind buy, and I pretty much agree with messin18's review in this thread. I didn't mind the beginning of the film, and I actually thought the first 30 minutes were pretty great...it seemed to have a pretty fun "Godzilla" type vibe.

However, the movie just starts to drag a little after that, and the tone is just very inconsistent. I couldn't tell if some parts of the movie were supposed to be funny, or if the actors were just being overly dramatic.

On top of everything, a lot of the plot line threads were very loosely tied together. I liked the family as a whole, but when the movie diverges into separate story lines for each character I became bored and lost interest. Really, it didn't seem like there was one protagonist that I could really stick with and root for. Then, all the peripheral characters...the doctors, scientists, government agents, etc...just irritatted me.

Then, when I finally thought I was going to give up on the film, and I was going to try to trade it, the ending of the movie really surprised me...as it came full circle and re-established the tone and pacing that I liked at the beginning of the movie.

Overall, for everything I liked about this movie, there was something that I absolutely hated. I'd probably give this a 3 out of 5, but I think I might be able to enjoy this movie more with repeat viewings. The first viewing just kind of threw me for a loop because it was nothing like I expected it to be.

Rabiose 07-29-2007 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck (Post 222589)
I liked the movie but thought the monster should have been much more evil with more personality.Even after the movie was over i couldn't figure out what it was up to.

I know what you mean,

Spoiler
I tried to figure out why the monster took his victims and dumped them in the pit. Especially as it treated the kids so carefully, It almost appeared like it tried to nurse them. But then later the monster ate the people in the pit, so I came to the conclusion it was is like a squirrel. gathering food to eat later.

I have to agree with cooltobeyou, this movie will probably be better viewing it the second time.