Movies scheduled mostly in UK - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
Which site has Pan's Labyrinth listed. Also, don't bank on Guns of Navarone. Play.com had that and Bridge on the river Kwai listed since Nov 2006.
Yes but Bridge on the river Kwai does not have a release date which Guns of Navarone have got recently. Pan's Labyrinth is listed on http://www.amazon.de amongst other sites in Germany.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Yes but Bridge on the river Kwai does not have a release date which Guns of Navarone have got recently. Pan's Labyrinth is listed on http://www.amazon.de amongst other sites in Germany.
Thanks Merlins.

Kwai and Navarone were originally listed with releases dates on Play (I pre-ordered them) and their listings were subsequently updated. I know that work has been done on Navarone as one of the people who worked on it posts at AVS forum. Sadly, we'll probably never see Navarone as good as it was on it's original roadshow release but I hope that a great deal of work can be carried out in the digital domain to get the colours back the way they were.

German DVDs had a nasty habit of not including the original soundtrack, only the German dub. I don't think the majority of German people like subtitles but I hoe that the release of Pan's Labyrinth is geared to the minority who like to see things they way they were meant to be.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:26 PM

It's official:

Tartan Video will make the move into High Definition later this summer and have today announced their decision to go with the Blu-ray Disc format. Arriving on 27th August 2007 is Paul Verhoven’s war epic, Black Book and a special 50th Anniversary Edition of Ingmar Bergman’s classic, The Seventh Seal. A month later on 24th September 2007 fans of Asian cinema can pick up Park Chan-Wook’s revenge thriller Oldboy.

All titles are making their worldwide Blu-ray Disc debut and in an interesting move will come packaged with the DVD edition of each film to “allow consumers who have yet to invest in Blu-ray technology the opportunity to enjoy the films on existing players at no additional cost as they invest for the future. “

Retail is £29.99 each.

Final disc specs are still being ironed out, but Tartan have told us that all titles will be encoded using the AVC video codec and to expect DTS Master Audio and Dolby Digital on Black Book and Oldboy. Extras from the DVD releases of Black Book and the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Seventh Seal should find their way onto the respective Blu-ray Disc editions, while Oldboy on Blu-ray Disc will have the commentary tracks and possibly the deleted scenes with optional commentary carried over.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65295
Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 PM

Bad news, it seems like Pulp Fiction has been bumped from the September 3 date. It disappeared from play.com...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM

What I want to know is why these movies aren't being released in the US... and why some titles that are only on Blu-Ray in America seem to be popping up on HD DVD in Europe.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
What I want to know is why these movies aren't being released in the US... and why some titles that are only on Blu-Ray in America seem to be popping up on HD DVD in Europe.
Certain films have different film company rights in some companies. The Island is a good example. I beleive it was was released bt WB in Europe so therefor they will release it their way in the same territory. In regards to The Island the 30th July is the 3rd release date that has benn given.
I will beleive the dates when I see it on the shelf. I think we all know what FOX have been like with there release dates, even if it does say it on their own website.
Also it will be interesting to see if certain companies put numorous zones on their coding.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Not all movies are owned by the same studios worldwide. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD exclusive movies in US are available on the other format in Europe and Asia and can even be exclusive to the other format in Europe. A movie can also be exclusive to the same format on two continents but be released by two different companies like The Black Book that will be Blu-ray exclusive in both USA and Europe but released by different Blu-ray exclusive studios, Sony in USA and Tartan in Europe.

It's the studios in each country that decides which format to release to and movies to release.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
Not all movies are owned by the same studios worldwide. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD exclusive movies in US are available on the other format in Europe and Asia and can even be exclusive to the other format in Europe. A movie can also be exclusive to the same format on two continents but be released by two different companies like The Black Book that will be Blu-ray exclusive in both USA and Europe but released by different Blu-ray exclusive studios, Sony in USA and Tartan in Europe.

It's the studios in each country that decides which format to release to and movies to release.
I found "cheap" pre-orders of the UK Tartan BD's on sendit.com, 27€ is not bad compared to 37€ on play.com:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000137369

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000137370

Last edited by onyxx; 07-17-2007 at 06:13 AM.