Is the movie suppose to look grainy? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl923 View Post
Ok my Blu-ray player is my PS3 and it's connected to my Sony Bravia 40XBR-2with a HDMI cable. Im not sure but for some reason when I sit close to the TV while Im watching a Blu-ray disk, the picture is very grainy. Is it suppose to be like that? The worst one is MI3.

If I remember correctly, in the review on this website of MI:III there was a fairly good explanation on the intent of film grain in movies and the presence of film grain being predominant in certain video sources. I think MI:III was filmed in a 35mm film process. The transfer from film usually results in some amount of grain. Check out the link below and I think you will find a decent explanation on video grain.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/miss...ssibleiii.html

Also check out the review on Monster House where the discussion of intentional film grain (on an animated feature) is adressed.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

Have you ever been to a movie theater? Do you know how movies are made? They're shot on celluloid film. Film has a natural grain to it. Your Blu-ray movie is a representation of the film. They take the film rolls and scan them digitally at 4k resolution. The film grain is also scanned.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
Have you ever been to a movie theater? Do you know how movies are made? They're shot on celluloid film. Film has a natural grain to it. Your Blu-ray movie is a representation of the film. They take the film rolls and scan them digitally at 4k resolution. The film grain is also scanned.
There's no need to be condescending here. We all know how movies shot on film are made. My point is that some have grain so thick it's distracting from the movie, and ruins the experience, and others have grain so light you barely even notice it unless you're looking for it.

Look at the BDs of Sleepy Hollow and then Apocalypto to see the opposite ends of this spectrum.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
There's no need to be condescending here. We all know how movies shot on film are made. My point is that some have grain so thick it's distracting from the movie, and ruins the experience, and others have grain so light you barely even notice it unless you're looking for it.

Look at the BDs of Sleepy Hollow and then Apocalypto to see the opposite ends of this spectrum.
You can't use apocalypto as an example, because it was shot using 1080p cameras, not film.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, that's odd. There is light film grain in it. I just watched it today.

Ok fine, pick POTC or something else with good PQ that was filmed and has light film grain.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 AM

I notice a bit of grain in some blu-rays where various reviews I've read said there was barely any (Transporter 2 for instance).

I figure it was the settings on my TV more than anything, this was especially true for Curse of the Golden Flower, I had the damn sharpness cranked all the way up, turn it down.. looks amazing. But when it comes to Transporter again, it just looks really, really grainy, and the sharpness down anymore, the picture looks practically blurry.

So eh.. it's just the movie mainly, POTC looked great, so did Ghost Rider, hell that movie looked more amazing than it really has any right to.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it, as I haven't seen those four. The two Paramount BDs I've viewed both looked horrible (Sleepy Hollow and Tomb Raider.) I sold them after viewing them because the DVDs actually looked better. Hopefully Paramount's transfer quality is improving as time goes on.
Tomb Raider is a bad movie with ugly photography. Sleepy Hollow, on the other hand, is very conscientious in its artistic use of grain to provide texture and atmosphere. In neither case can it be said that the DVD edition of the movie looks better.

Paramount's transfer quality is stellar. Take a look at The Warriors, a 30 year-old, zero-budget movie and the disc looks absolutely amazing.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
In neither case can it be said that the DVD edition of the movie looks better.
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

I flipped back and forth, watching the same scenes on both Blu-Ray and upscaled DVD, and I found the DVD to be better visually. My opinion is that the DVD of Sleepy Hollow looks better than the Blu-Ray, although with most movies this will not be true.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

I flipped back and forth, watching the same scenes on both Blu-Ray and upscaled DVD, and I found the DVD to be better visually. My opinion is that the DVD of Sleepy Hollow looks better than the Blu-Ray, although with most movies this will not be true.
Only if by "better" you mean that the DVD is so soft that it can't properly resolve the grain in the image, or much of the fine object detail.

Grain is not your enemy. Film is made of grain. It's like the brushstrokes on an artist's canvas. Would you prefer to see the real painting or a texture-less Xerox copy of it?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 PM

I really only notice grain on backgrounds that are out of focus behind the actors.