High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   Is the movie suppose to look grainy? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/10339-movie-suppose-look-grainy.html)

andrewl923 06-23-2007 11:00 PM

Is the movie suppose to look grainy?

Ok my Blu-ray player is my PS3 and it's connected to my Sony Bravia 40XBR-2with a HDMI cable. Im not sure but for some reason when I sit close to the TV while Im watching a Blu-ray disk, the picture is very grainy. Is it suppose to be like that? The worst one is MI3.

any help?

rayfundora 06-23-2007 11:08 PM

Well, I have a 70 inch Sony, and the same thing happen to me with MI2. I have not seen MI3 yet. I will let you know what happens.

I did see Basic Instinct, Volver, and Planet Earth. They all looked great in HD Blu-Ray!!!!! I think its the MI movies.

Nicodimus22 06-23-2007 11:25 PM

It depends on the movie. Some have so much grain it makes my skin crawl (Sleepy Hollow, Tomb Raider prime examples.) Most BDs I've seen either have such a small amount that it's not distracting, or none if the movie was shot digitally instead of on film.

Now that I think about it, Paramount released M:I and the two films I mentioned. I've not seen one movie of theirs that looked acceptable on Blu-Ray, let alone GOOD. Paramount needs to stop half-assing it.

pkremer 06-24-2007 12:22 AM

First, make sure your PS3 is putting out 1080p (or 720p depending on your TV).

If it is, then this is right. MI-3 does have a fair amount of grain, I noticed this the first time I watched it too. The thing is, though, some people think grain = bad. This doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Most movies still aren't shot with digital cameras, and film has grain...the grain is what captures the image. If you stop focusing on the grain, you can see what the grain captured...which is an extremely clear picture.

I remember the first time I put in Aeon Flux...at first I was horribly disappointed by the "moving things" in the picture. I realized it was film grain! Once I stopped focusing on it though, I saw how amazingly clear that grain allowed the picture to be. It is so clear you can see the grain moving! Admittedly, heavy grain can suck, but MI-3 is perfectly watchable. Remember, HD is about the resolution and the clarity of the picture. Attempting to remove that grain would severely soften the picture and remove the clarity, as some movies have tried to do (and suffered from). The grain is not your enemy, it is what makes the picture so clear.

If it bothers you that badly though, some movies have less grain...try Phantom of the Opera.

Mobius 06-24-2007 05:08 AM

Quick question, have you used a program like DVD Essentials to calibrate your TV? Do you have your sharpness cranked up? I have the HD-DVD of MI3 and if I remember there is some grain in the film, but I thought it was a good transfer and better than MI2 and MI1 for sure.

Kid Banana 06-24-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewl923 (Post 174793)
Ok my Blu-ray player is my PS3 and it's connected to my Sony Bravia 40XBR-2with a HDMI cable. Im not sure but for some reason when I sit close to the TV while Im watching a Blu-ray disk, the picture is very grainy. Is it suppose to be like that? The worst one is MI3.

MI3 was very grainy in cinemas so, yes, it should look like that.

illegalprelude 06-24-2007 08:57 PM

in short like others said, grain does not have to be bad and yes, the movie is like that

LiK 06-25-2007 12:28 PM

i read in IGN or another review that JJ ABrams used two different types of camera for filming MI3 (HD and regular film) and that the film camera looks grainy while the HD is clear. maybe that has something to do with it. did you test some other movies?

Josh Z 06-25-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 174804)
Now that I think about it, Paramount released M:I and the two films I mentioned. I've not seen one movie of theirs that looked acceptable on Blu-Ray, let alone GOOD. Paramount needs to stop half-assing it.

Paramount has released some of the very best transfers on both formats: Dreamgirls, Flags of Our Fathers, Four Brothers, and yes M:I-3 are all terrific discs.

Nicodimus22 06-25-2007 10:02 PM

I'll have to take your word for it, as I haven't seen those four. The two Paramount BDs I've viewed both looked horrible (Sleepy Hollow and Tomb Raider.) I sold them after viewing them because the DVDs actually looked better. Hopefully Paramount's transfer quality is improving as time goes on.