'Monsters' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 AM

It's a weird film. Very different. I don't think the Blair Witch comparisons work, because the only real similarity is the low budget and slightly ad-libbed dialogue. It's amazing how many little effects are in this as well, of the kind that really stand out for me (In a good way) because I've done a lot of similar ones in my own experiments.

I kinda like it. Not sure if it's the movie or the way it was filmed that I find more fascinating, but I like the way it works overall, even if it's not something you could watch again and again. It's got a pleasingly different quality to typical Hollywood.

As for that final(story) scene that's at the beginning, watching with the commentary, the director himself said she's either dead or unconscious. So I suppose it's up to the viewer. Personally, I like to think unconscious, so it doesn't make the film pointless.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 PM

If you go into this looking for a action-packed alien invasion movie, you're barking up the wrong tree.

The entire point of this film is showing our dark nature. If you look at the movie from the perspective of the aliens, they are really just animals trying to survive and defend themselves. Also, we use bad situations to take advantage of members of our own species. WE are the monsters.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM

The german BD has the black point at greyshade 17 instead of 16. I hate that.

Is the US BD also hampered by that error?

The movie itself was boring. If the girl wasn't so beautiful, I would have stopped the player after twenty minutes.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 AM

Guess I wanted Gareth Edwards' audition for the Godzilla film.
And saw it at Best Buy for $7 currently, so it'll compliment the
Big Guy's blu-ray.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/monsters...disc/1865227.p
Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Guess I wanted Gareth Edwards' audition for the Godzilla film.
And saw it at Best Buy for $7 currently, so it'll compliment the
Big Guy's blu-ray.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/monsters...disc/1865227.p
I have had this one sitting in my cart on Amazon for quite some time. Whether I get to Best Buy this week or they PM, looks like it will be mine.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM

I was surprised I received a nicely embossed slipcover on this 3.5 year old release.
It had a "From the Director of Godzilla" sticker on it.