'Lost in Translation' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicelect View Post
Yeah, because opinions require a 1,600 post minimum in this forum. Seriously, do we need to ask for your permission before we post? And why not compare two movies both starring Bill Murray? Should we compare LIT to Star Wars?

Mark
No, but when you only have so few posts and then start spouting off crap it makes that person look like a troll.

You can't compare 'Groundhog Day' and 'Lost in Translation' because they're different genres. Doesn't matter if they have the same actor in them. You'd never compare 'Braveheart' with 'What Women Want' just because they both have Mel Gibson in them.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Great movie. Try watching it again in ten years if you hated it. Funny how movies grow on you as you get older and realize where they were coming from.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Perhaps one has to have been to Japan to appreciate this film, I dunno. I love it. Easily 4 stars imho.
I agree. Lost in Translation really captures the disorientation and loneliness of international business travel, something few films try to explore (Up in the Air did a brilliant job of this for domestic business travel.) People who has travelled to Japan and felt "lost in translation" will immediately connect with the film.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM

One of my favorite films. Maybe the fact that I wasn't all about the explosions and nakedness, like other 16 year-olds, helped my enjoyment of the film.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
"where's all the titties and explosions?!!"
They're in the deleted scenes of course.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM

I LOVE this movie.

Yeah, it isn't some action showpiece but it is intelligent and moves along well enough. Having been to Japan and seeing that so much of what was shot is actaully real, including the crazy TV host, only adds to the movie for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM

I have the HD DVD, but this is a first day purchase for me. My favourite film ever and I fully agree with the score. Those saying it's boring must have attention deficit disorder. Do you only like Michael Bay films?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apemilkbuddha View Post
...the reason why the audience is never privy to what Bill Murray whispers into Scarlett's ear is because the movie is 100% pointless & the writer couldn't think of anything.
No, the reason is that it was improvisation by Bill Murray not meant to be heard by anyone but him and Scarlett Johansson.

As for Lost In Translation itself, it is one of my favourite films of all time. I saw it before my first trip to Japan (which will always be special to me for the reasons we went and the experiences we had) and the film really brings back some very pleasant memories, so I always watch it if I need a pick-me-up. I love the Charlotte and Bob characters and find their respective existential crises to be fascinating.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 PM

i paid $3 for the HD-DVD.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
i paid $3 for the HD-DVD.
I bought it when it came out. I paid close to $30.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.