Looks Like "The Deep" May Be Coming To BD! - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
Now if I could only talk Columbia into releasing "Fright Night" and "Heavy Metal" on Blu Ray...
I cannot wait for Pink Floyd's "The Wall" to be in 7.1 Master Audio PCM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM

There looks to be quite a lot of deleted material from the 3 hour special edition on this disc that Ive never seen - As a big fan of the book im looking forward to seeing that - although id really like to take a look at the full 3 hour experience.... Has it ever been available ?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Looked everywhere for this around the GTA - Toronto. No-one has received any copies in ?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM

I went to the local Best Buy at yesterday morning, they had 3 copies. I guess Sony and the retailers weren't expecting a lot of interest on this title.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Has anybody seen this BD yet?

Just started it, but it awfully grainy, should it be like that? Would think a film like this should be as clean as possible.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersT2 View Post
Has anybody seen this BD yet?

Just started it, but it awfully grainy, should it be like that? Would think a film like this should be as clean as possible.
Yes, its very grainy at the beginning, but it definitely clears up quite a bit. Its a nice looking older title, and its a fun movie too!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 PM

I finally got this, and was pretty happy with the pq overall.
most shots look as I would expect them to, while most of the distance shots mainly of locations look very soft.
almost like they were done that way on purpose.
not sure.
lots of good detail and contrast in the underwater scenes, which could have been a disaster.
don't think anyone who likes this movie will be disappointed with this bd.
It's a good one for such an old 70's film.
one thing that is a bit strange--
I watched the "deleted" scenes and though they appear to be 1080p, when you compare them directly with similar scenes from the actual movie they look noticeably worse.
much more digital noise or something similar.
almost like the studio didn't quite go the whole way to make them look just like the rest of the film.
Also: perhaps they are all from a different source.
either way they don't look too good, and are pretty much worthless scenes imo that would have been out of place in the actual released film.
In other words, thank god they were cut.
the scenes involving the ships in the storms are particularly pathetic, and not believable at all.
Overall though--good disc imo.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM

It's deff a good flick! Some shots are a bit grainy, but when the beauty shots come in, they're very good! What I find surprisingly good is the lack of DNR anomalies. There are a couple of spots I had to pause and recheck, but overall I believe that it was rendered very well.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I watched the "deleted" scenes and though they appear to be 1080p, when you compare them directly with similar scenes from the actual movie they look noticeably worse.
much more digital noise or something similar.
almost like the studio didn't quite go the whole way to make them look just like the rest of the film.
Also: perhaps they are all from a different source.
The deleted scenes were undoubtedly taken from a print a few generations removed from the original.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 AM

Watched through the whole movie.

The beginning was the worst, but some of the indoor scenes to had a lot of grain. It's wierd to watch when shots in the same scene switches from grainy to not grainy. They definitivly could have done a better job on this.

The underwater scenes did look great, like most of the movie.

I didn't watch the deleted scenes, but since they are from the TV version, they most likely isn't from the same reel as the rest of the movie.

I did start the Making of. And I can't believe people did watch that quality before. It's worse than VHS. And they also did put it in 1080p on the disc.
They should rather have put this in SD, and used more of the space on the disc for the movie.