'Jurassic Park - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 9 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #81  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Which scenes (time stamps would be handy)? I got the 42inch version of the Vizio that you have, and I have that movie, I would love to test it out.
That disc is plagued with ghosting throughout. Pick a scene, any scene. There's an early scene (at a convenient chapter mark) where Reese Witherspoon's character is in a gazebo talking to her fiance. The branches and leaves in the trees behind them have terrible crosstalk on both of my displays.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
Currently at: Primetimer
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That disc is plagued with ghosting throughout. Pick a scene, any scene. There's an early scene (at a convenient chapter mark) where Reese Witherspoon's character is in a gazebo talking to her fiance. The branches and leaves in the trees behind them have terrible crosstalk on both of my displays.
One of my favorite 3d films. This scene along with many others including the bridge section look horrible on my JVC. On the DLP, perfection and not a ghost to be found.

The bridge scene is a classic for testing ghosting, especially with displays that struggle with dark on light ghosting which is where the JVCs get the most choked up. Again, on the JVC, it is a distracting mess, but on the DLP, gorgeous.

The Epson 5010, 6010, 3020, 5020 and 6020 do VERY well with this film and MUCH better than the JVCs (though not quite perfect which a single chip DLP will give you).

If you are a fan of this 3d film, you owe it to yourself to try and watch it on a 3d display that does not ghost like hell which the 40 obviously does, especially as the lamp ages as you have experienced as well.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
I am not open to it due to my experiences with the various 3d displays I have used over the years in conjunction with all the various tests, comparisons and everything else I have read on the subject over time all of which points to the contrary.
... Putting this as diplomatically as possible, that is illogical.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
... Putting this as diplomatically as possible, that is illogical.
As is your stance to me.

What other 3d displays have you owned Plissken besides your JVC projectors?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post



I'm sorry, but this is flat-out false. Crosstalk is very visible on passive LCD. I have an LCoS (active 3D) projector and a passive LCD TV. My signal can be split to display on both simultaneously. If you take a disc like Monsters vs. Aliens, you can see crosstalk in the exact same shots, in the exact same frames, in the exact same intensity at the exact same time on both screens. Completely different technology, yet the same crosstalk is visible. Are we really supposed to believe that's a coincidence, and the disc has absolutely nothing to do with it?

Yes, apparently this is a coincidence in this case. Take ANY ghost heavy scene in this film and play it back on a single chip DLP and report back. This movie, just like every other I have played shows ZERO ghosting on my 7000, and again, the Epsons (besides the 3010) do considerably better with this disc vs the JVCs. One reason this movie is such a challenge for the JVCs is because of all the dark on light type scenes which is where the JVCs struggle the most and in turn why the Epsons' are noticeably better since they struggle more with dark on light (although the Epsons do much better in general vs the JVCs as far as ghosting).

I am curious to try it on the Panny plasma and see which scenes ghost and don't ghost compared to my RS45. I always thought the bridge scene was the most challenging for my JVCs.

Last edited by ToddS; 04-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Josh,

Post #1549 in this thread has a few of the most display challenging scenes as far as ghosting goes in Monsters vs Aliens, including the infamous bridge scene. Note how there is not a ghost to be found in the through the glasses shots..................

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/so...2012-2013/1530

These through the glasses captures were taken with a BenQ W7000 and either TrueDepth or Optoma ZD201 glasses. How is the transfer to blame when you can get results this clean on a better display, a DLP in this case?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,570
Default

Lol that is completely irrelevant ToddS. I owned The Big Lebowski on DVD, I had an old Sony player that it looked bad on, and the Oppo DVD player that it looked good on. Which to me said, "here is a screwed up disc that is not supposed to look like this on any player, boy am I glad I have the Oppo though."

Likewise if I have a display that does not ghost full time, but only on certain titles. Regardless whether those titles look fine on another display, the logical conclusion is that they were not authored properly.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Lol that is completely irrelevant ToddS. I owned The Big Lebowski on DVD, I had an old Sony player that it looked bad on, and the Oppo DVD player that it looked good on. Which to me said, "here is a screwed up disc that is not supposed to look like this on any player, boy am I glad I have the Oppo though."

Likewise if I have a display that does not ghost full time, but only on certain titles. Regardless whether those titles look fine on another display, the logical conclusion is that they were not authored properly.

That answers my question, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,570
Default

People like you don't have changeable minds do they? Your argument is not based in logic, it's happened to me, and I am grown up enough to admit it. The Internet makes everyone right cause they wish to be. I did own the RS40 as well btw.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Your stance defies logic from my perspective as well. I have changed my mind many times if there is a "logical" reason to do so which is not the case here from what I have seen and experienced over the years on this subject. You don't agree, so be it. I would encourage you to check out some other 3d displays with some of the scenes that trip up your JVCs though if you are open minded enough to do so as it might open your eyes as it did mine. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,570
Default

See that's the thing, I know other displays handle 3D better. I could have opted for the Sony HW50 if I wanted better 3D, opted for the JVC so that the other 99% would look its best. Buying another projector isn't as simple as buying the best error free DVD player was.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 167 05-09-2016 12:17 PM
'Jurassic World' and 'Jurassic World - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 44 11-03-2015 03:00 AM
High-Def Digest Goes Back To The Park: 8 Thrilling Amusement Park Movies Attebery Film Forum 4 06-11-2015 10:28 PM
'Jurassic Park: The Game (PS3)' - High-Def Digest Review Brian Hoss Game Room 7 05-11-2014 01:43 AM
Review Jurassic Park Trilogy Cobravenomous Blu-ray Software General Discussion 7 10-07-2011 06:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off