'Jurassic Park - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 11 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm going to have to mess with the calibration on my set when I have time. Admittedly, I haven't really ever properly done this set since I got it in December.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Has the reviewer had chance to check the scene I mentioned for the ghosting that appears? Please note, I am NOT talking about crosstalk or indeed anything to do with the 3D. Watch it in 2D, and there is severe ghosting in a couple of scenes (the one where they eat sea bass, and the one with Tim on the electric fence).
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I'm going to have to mess with the calibration on my set when I have time. Admittedly, I haven't really ever properly done this set since I got it in December.
Um, how often are you supposed to recallibrate? I callibrated my set when I got it a year ago, and haven't touched it since. Didn't know I was supposed to.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Actually, it is true. On a 1080p set, you are seeing 540 lines per eye when you wear the glasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz..._disadvantages

However, if you have like a 40 or 50 inch set and are sitting more than 5 feet away, the drop in resolution isn't all that dramatic.
Each eye sees 540 lines, but your brain puts it together. You are seeing 1080 lines.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
Each eye sees 540 lines, but your brain puts it together. You are seeing 1080 lines.

;-) LOL, good point, I can't argue with that. Still, you are seeing 540 at two slightly different images, but I guess you can also argue that your brain combines the two to generate one 3D image. Very interesting perspective, and I can't fault the logic here.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Um, how often are you supposed to recallibrate? I callibrated my set when I got it a year ago, and haven't touched it since. Didn't know I was supposed to.
I'm saying I have never properly calibrated it.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootball View Post
Has the reviewer had chance to check the scene I mentioned for the ghosting that appears? Please note, I am NOT talking about crosstalk or indeed anything to do with the 3D. Watch it in 2D, and there is severe ghosting in a couple of scenes (the one where they eat sea bass, and the one with Tim on the electric fence).
I won't have time until this weekend, but yeah, I can check those out. Can you provide specific timestaps I should take a look at? I'll take some screengrabs of both the 2D and 3D discs.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Just wondering, why do you need to send it in? I was poking around the JVC support site yesterday, and it looks like they have the firmware and instructions for most of their projectors on there, and I thought the RS4x line had the firmware updates available online.
I wish, that would be logical, but no JVC makes you send it in(rumor has it, it's more than a FW update, they might be replacing a circuit board perhaps). Really freaking lame us early buyers have to pay to ship it so it will function as advertised(was always supposed to have improved 3D).

Sorry for the derailment folks, got carried away, Todd and I took it to private messaging.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
That's not how it works. On a passive 3D display, you only see 540 lines from each image. They are separate images. You lose half the vertical resolution in each. On an active 3D display, you get the full 1080 lines from each image.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That's not how it works. On a passive 3D display, you only see 540 lines from each image. They are separate images. You lose half the vertical resolution in each. On an active 3D display, you get the full 1080 lines from each image.
I agree 100%, I just understand where he is coming from, and, technically, he is right. In passive, one eye sees the even lines, the other eye sees the odd lines, so you are TECHNICALLY seeing 1080 lines, just each eye is only seeing 540. But yeah, each eye is getting a different image.

So, yes, the resolution IS halved, you ARE only getting half the resolution you are getting with an active display, but he is correct that you are actually seeing all 1,080 lines on your display, and they are all active. :-)

:-) Once I realized where he was coming from, I just cracked up. Still am.