'Jurassic Park - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
See that's the thing, I know other displays handle 3D better. I could have opted for the Sony HW50 if I wanted better 3D, opted for the JVC so that the other 99% would look its best. Buying another projector isn't as simple as buying the best error free DVD player was.
So what is preventing you from a dual projector setup? Assuming you enjoy 3d enough, adding a DLP, especially with your HP screen (I use the same screen 2.8 version) would give you the best of both worlds. That nice big HP screen of yours is screaming for a quality 3d projector! I guarantee your interest in 3d will go a bit higher than 1% if you get a quality 3d display which the JVCs are not (please don't take offense to that, it is just the truth once you experience flicker free/ghost free and bright 3d). There is no doubt in my mind though that your perspective will change not only on ghosting/flicker, but 3d in general if you get to experience a better 3d display which I hope you will try at some point.

One thing we can agree on I am sure is how great the JVCs are for 2d which is where they shine obviously.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 PM

I had a dual projector set up for a while, the Epson 8100 I got for a song from a guy on these forums. It had the same bulb issue as the RS40 as it turned out, but the guy threw in a couple of spare bulbs, then a polarizer went bad(thats what the techs told me), resulting in a large red tint at the top and blue at the bottom, both about the size of 2.35:1 bars lol. It wasn't 3D, I only used it for gaming and regular TV shows, once the bulbs went, I sold the RS40 in favor of the RS46.

A single chip DLP is no good, DLP gives me headaches, it would take a 3 chip machine, and they can be as bad as anything else for ghosting. The other problem is this year I'm a poor college student, can't afford a secondary projector.

Still as I said, once this season of Game of Thrones runs it's course I'll be sending my RS46 in for that firmware update thats supposed to improve the crosstalk, if not nearly eliminate it.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 AM

I would love to upgrade to a 46 just for the more reliable lamp alone. My first bulb needed replaced at 600 hours on my 45. I am now at 450 hours on this bulb and high lamp flickers non stop which might be a sign that it could go at any time. I have a version 3 "flapper" on tap which is supposed to be more reliable, but who knows. All the reports so far on the lamps on the new models has been extremely positive.

Might wait and see what comes out of Cedia though before deciding what to do. The show is in Denver the next 3 years which is where I live so it will be nice to see potential 2d upgrades first hand.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM

Ouch, you went from the RS40 to the RS46? I about lost my religion over the bulb issue. I was at 600 hours on my gen 3 flapper bulb when I sold it, and I heard from the guy 2 months later that it burnt out, asking me where to get another one.

Yeah my plan with the RS46 and its hopefully actual 4,000 hour bulb is to keep it a few years, hopefully the tech will evolve with faster panels and excellent 3D handling, and 4K. Not to mention maybe they'll be bulbless, either lasers or led. I really feel projectors are on the verge of a big evolution.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM

I went from a 40 to 45 which did not cost much out of pocket after selling the 40. Total lateral move, but I was not expecting much and I was always thrilled with the 2d. I lucked out with my 40 lamp as it went strong for the nearly 600 hours I had it.

A big evolution would be great. For me as far as 2d goes, there has not been anything all that exciting since the RS1 hit. That was a big step IMO and it would be great to get another jump similar in significance.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Is this thread even remotely about Jurassic Park anymore?

I got my disc yesterday. I thought it looked good, but not nearly as good as it looked when I saw it in 3D in the theater. I went twice and was extremely excited about this disc, but it seems a lot darker than it was on the big screen. I own a ton of 3D movies and have never had this experience. Changing the brightness just washes out the black. I'm definitely disappointed.

Edit: I don't know if I would be this disappointed if I wasn't such an irrationally huge fan if the movie.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Still as I said, once this season of Game of Thrones runs it's course I'll be sending my RS46 in for that firmware update thats supposed to improve the crosstalk, if not nearly eliminate it.
Just wondering, why do you need to send it in? I was poking around the JVC support site yesterday, and it looks like they have the firmware and instructions for most of their projectors on there, and I thought the RS4x line had the firmware updates available online.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I was just about to post: "This thread has a disappointing light amount of Jurassic Park gushing ..."

Still one of my favourite movies of all time, with one of the best uses of CGI ever (and this for 20 years in a row!). In fact, I have never been as impressed with CGI since, apart from Tron Legacy. Jurassic Park is still the benchmark and the goalpost.

I can't believe it's been 20 years since I saw this as an impressionable 9-year old kid. This was just after my birthday (released in September 1993 over here), for which I received action figures, the Game Boy game etcetera. I was sorely bummed out when McDonald's didn't run a promotion in my country.

Just thinking about Jurassic Park makes me happy. What a great movie.

The 3D version will be released in Belgian cinemas on 1 May 2013. I know where I'll be with the biggest Coke money can buy and the widest smile I can produce.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I got my disc yesterday. I thought it looked good, but not nearly as good as it looked when I saw it in 3D in the theater. I went twice and was extremely excited about this disc, but it seems a lot darker than it was on the big screen. I own a ton of 3D movies and have never had this experience. Changing the brightness just washes out the black. I'm definitely disappointed.

Edit: I don't know if I would be this disappointed if I wasn't such an irrationally huge fan if the movie.
I was kind of wondering the same thing...

I didn't see the 3D release in the theater, but (as I mentioned a few pages back - in what was probably the last actual on-topic post in this thread ) I was pleasantly surprised with the 3D Blu-Ray. I didn't really notice it looking any darker than any other 3D disc. I guess I was just impressed with the depth I was seeing. When done correctly, 3D can really add a lot to a movie (especially one that you've seen a million times already).
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

:-) I got my disc yesterday, but it will be Saturday at the earliest before I can get to it. BUSY week - I do a lot of volunteer work outside of my regular job, and this week is just crazy. So while I say Saturday at the earliest, I will probably not crawl out of bed Saturday. I finally got around to watching The Hobbit last week. :-)