JP Jeunet Disowns Alien Resurrection Blu-ray Transfer - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 PM

I assume they didn't want to pay him?

They didn't remaster the film, wouldn't it have been a waste of money to consult the director on a simple AVC encode?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
I assume they didn't want to pay him?
They didn't want to pay to remaster the movie, with or without him.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The City of Lost Children is expected to come out on Blu-ray this year, released by StudioCanal.

This very nearly came out on courtesy of Studio Canal so it will be interesting to see if the will utilise the same (planned) source.
One of my very favourite Jeunet films, this dark, dreamlike, and bewitching tale has been for far too long absent from Hi Definition. Will be a real and genuine pleasure to be able to watch this in 1080p and experience the accompanying Lossless Sound.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
This very nearly came out on courtesy of Studio Canal so it will be interesting to see if the will utilise the same (planned) source.
One of my very favourite Jeunet films, this dark and bewitching tale has been for far too long absent from Hi Definition. Will be a real and genuine pleasure to be able to watch this in 1080p and accompanying with Lossless Sound.
I have the laserdisc which has the correct English subtitles. I also have the DVD and the subs are pretty mediocre on it. I do not know what they were thinking. I just watch it in French nowadays, but do hope that the BD subs are corrected.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
It also sounds like he actually likes to remove film grain from his movies going by the comment on Delicatessen so maybe it would have been worse if they had allowed him to supervise a new transfer, of course maybe his comments are taken out of context for that movie in the way Cameron's was when he made similiar comments about Aliens.
That is whats worrying me about The City of Lost Children, I do not like the idea of it getting the Delicatessen BD treatment which clearly is scrubbed more then a tad (typical StudioCanal) and has EE. If the director wants to mess with it at least do it like the Evil Dead BD and give use the original look as well. Unlikely from SC however.

I cannot read french though so I am unsure how he meant it.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:57 PM

So I guess the news here is that The City of Lost Children will finally be coming to Blu-ray and HDD has a blog!

...I kid.

But, seriously, that COLC BD is a day one buy for me so long as they do it justice.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 AM

He's actually proud of his pos movie? Only good thing about it was Wiona Ryder and Perlman. I'm beginning to dislike this guy and I don't know if I should bother with City of Lost Children, I've tried watching it several times but it seemed silly weird, I need to sit down and finish that.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
He's actually proud of his pos movie? Only good thing about it was Wiona Ryder and Perlman. I'm beginning to dislike this guy and I don't know if I should bother with City of Lost Children, I've tried watching it several times but it seemed silly weird, I need to sit down and finish that.
Why wouldn't he be? He directed it. City of Lost Children is amazing. That's the first of his films that I saw and was made an instant fan. Yeah, you do need to finish it. That, or start with Delicatessen first.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Believe it or not, french directors rarely make typical hollywood fare movies.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
Believe it or not, french directors rarely make typical hollywood fare movies.
The following movies beg to differ...
Renaissance
Crimson Rivers 1&2
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Largo Winch
Chrysalis
Leon: The Professional
Empire of the Wolves
Lucky Luke
Mesrine 1&2

...feel free to jump in here anytime, Cheez...