'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 AM

I'm a big Peanuts fan, but the "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" Hallowe'en Special is my least favourite of all of the Peanuts specials. The characters are authentic, but this story just isn't very good. When Lucy rants at Linus for them wasting the whole night sitting in the pumpkin patch and missing on on trick 'r' treating, that's how I feel about watching this TV special. Unlike the entertaining and wholesome Thanksgiving, Christmas, and St. Valentine's Day Specials, this one is very disappointing. The reviewer was correct that this Special is ironically about faith, but I feel like one of the South Park Hallowe'en episodes got it right when they explained that Hallowe'en was just about costumes and candy.
I'll probably watch this special on TV this year, merely because of tradition; but I don't think it's worth buying on Blu-ray. I'm considering buying the Peanuts Holiday Collection on Blu-ray, but this definitely is not worth buying on its own.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Just ask yourself if this short feature is worth the relatively high price to own this new high-definition incarnation. For me, the answer is no,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post

This is out, I got just it today
Yep, I preordered mine too. Why pay $18 for one when I can pay twice that and get FOUR shows? That makes it to be about $8.50 a show. Hasn't been shipped yet, though, which surprises me, I have Amazon Prime.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Four shows? You mean 3 releases? Six specials on those 3 releases. The cover art shows four images, but they are just three releases. I have to own both simply because the slip covers are some of the best.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
Four shows? You mean 3 releases? Six specials on those 3 releases. The cover art shows four images, but they are just three releases. I have to own both simply because the slip covers are some of the best.
You're right. I was thinking It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown was a seperate disc. It looks like each disc, though, holds two shows, so this breaks down to about $6.00 a show. or about $12 a disc (sorry, don't feel like doing the exact math right now). But I understand the box art thing. As for me, they all sit on the shelf with just their spines sticking out, so I really don't mind if its a boxed set, three different cases, or one standard size case that houses 3 discs.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM

My boxed set came in yesterday. I think the scoring here is a BIT harsh, but I agree with the reasoning. This is the best it ever looked, and I cannot find anything to fault. As such, I think video should recieve probably 4 stars, simply because there is nothing wrong with it, its just not demo material.

I agree 100% with the audio on Its The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

As for Its Magic, the audio and video is slightly better. Much more detail and textures are in it, and the show seems to possibly have been mastered in stereo rather than mono, and the fidelity is much better.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Finally got mine from WB shop today. Pretty slow. As for the quality of the transfer, it is excellent. The audio on "Halloween" was exceptionally flat and dull. Considering most of these were mono to begin with, it was no surprise. For the Peanuts fan, this set is a no brainer. Oh and it does contain a dvd version for the kids to watch as well.