'The Island' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post
Also listen to the commentary about Scarlett wanted to get naked in the love scene but Bay has to stop her from getting naked to ensure PG-13 rating.
Scarlett naked would make this beyond great!....The movie didnt do well in theaters, Bay should have just went rated R and do us all a favor.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM

If anyone buys this release and has the UK version, can you please do a PQ and AQ comparison? I was hoping HD Digest would do that for us but nope. Or maybe you can direct me to a website that has compared both. I have the Uk version and would like to know if it's the same transfer and worth getting the US release.. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Nevermind, I went ahead and bought it. It's only $15.99 on amazon. If I get a chance I'll do a PQ/AQ comparison for those who are still curious.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaFDN View Post
Scarlett naked would make this beyond great!....The movie didnt do well in theaters, Bay should have just went rated R and do us all a favor.
Totally agree. Just read a link about her wanting to show off in that movie, and it's interesting that it was 5 years ago and to the best of my knowledge she hasn't taken her clothes off in any other movies.

What are these directors waiting for?

She is hot enough that I would buy 'Catwoman' levels of awful tripe just to have her hawt bod in 1080p for posterity, haha.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

This is easily one of if not the best movie that Bay has done. If you didn't know who he was and watched this along with his other movies you woudn't know it was the same director. I got the import HD DVD awhile back and the video/audio is amazing. Don't think I will need to rebuy on Blu-ray.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:25 PM

So this review made me say "ok fuck it! I'm gonna get this"(as soon as it's below $10), but when I went on amazon, I noticed 2 different covers at different prices.
Both were in stock. One was 15.65 and it's a different cover than the one in the review.
The one that has the cover from the review is now 15.99.
What's the difference?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SEXY View Post
If anyone buys this release and has the UK version, can you please do a PQ and AQ comparison? I was hoping HD Digest would do that for us but nope. Or maybe you can direct me to a website that has compared both. I have the Uk version and would like to know if it's the same transfer and worth getting the US release.. It would be greatly appreciated.
The reports I've read say that the new disc looks slightly better, but the difference is small, probably the sort of thing you can only see in screencaps. The biggest improvement is that the American disc has lossless audio, whereas the UK disc is standard DD 5.1.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Exclamation 'The Island' screw-up!

The Canadian first DVD release version of 'The Island' had only a DD 2.0 English audio soundtrack, with a French DD 5.1 one!
I know, I have it (got three different versions now, including the Blu).

Then the other version from the USA came with the proper DD 5.1 English audio soundtrack.

-> That was a big mistake from the people who did the transfer!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM

I think this is his best because the first half is a fairly direct remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror, a movie featured on MST3K. When I first saw a trailer for this, a friend that is a hard core MST3K fan commented that it looked just like a remake of that movie. A couple months later, surprise, I'm reading news about the makers of that film attempting to sue the people behind this movie. Never found out how that turned out. Anyways, Bay's best even involved screwing someone over. Hopefully they got a big settlement at least. With Bay, I don't know if I'm more put off by his personal morals, or his film making. I think one pretty much feeds the other anyway.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
Hopefully they got a big settlement at least.
I believe the big studio lawyers crushed him, and he just gave up.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.