'The Hunt for Red October' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalW View Post
BTW, it's 'Das Boot' (not Boat) and the director is 'Wolfgang Petersen' (not Peters). Though I'm sure it's one of your fav's.

Both are great flics IMHO. I enjoy both immensely. The pacing is completely different between the two so I think there's room for both. The only thing that they have in common is that they both revolve around subs.

Kal
Yes you are correct Das Boot is my fav WWII movie you can almost smell the oil and diesel.

But yes i also like the hunt for red october so thats a movie that goes into my BD collection.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 PM

This will be a blind buy for me when I can find it used for a descent price. I'm a little too young (25) to have seen this in it's glory days.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalW View Post
BTW, it's 'Das Boot' (not Boat) and the director is 'Wolfgang Petersen' (not Peters). Though I'm sure it's one of your fav's.
I wouldn't be surprised if more people have seen Hunt though, so it might still be more highly regarded than Das Boot, simple because, more have seen it.

That being said, it does make me a little sad seeing that...or even Neverending Story, than thinking about stuff like Troy or Poseiden. Wolfgang is a pale imitation of his former self, now he just peddles mediocre stuff with some nice special effects.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
This will be a blind buy for me when I can find it used for a descent price. I'm a little too young (25) to have seen this in it's glory days.
Really in 25 years you haven't see it at least once? It was on AMC everyday for like 3 years (or so it seemed.) Now it's on HDNET and UniHD all the time.....

I find it quite astonishing that you haven't seen this movie..... not that there's anything wrong with not seeing it...... it's just surprising.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Really in 25 years you haven't see it at least once? It was on AMC everyday for like 3 years (or so it seemed.) Now it's on HDNET and UniHD all the time.....

I find it quite astonishing that you haven't seen this movie..... not that there's anything wrong with not seeing it...... it's just surprising.
They actually showed it again last week in the wee hours of the morning. Agreed on Das Boot I'm a big sub nut and have probably seen just about every sub movie made. The only problem I have with Das Boot is the real sized remote controlled sub was only half the size of a real U-Boat but to get the shot of real people on a real boat can't be CGI'd. So it wouldn't look real but the scene where they are putting out to sea leaving the sub hanger is where it doesn't look right.

But you have to get the original directors cut in German it's the only way to watch this flick imo.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM

I saw this movie at the theater when I was 9 and loved this movie. Definitely picking this up. Alec Baldwin is a great actor and was great in this movie. I've never read the book the movie is based on so I can't say how accurately he portrayed Jack Ryan though.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 PM

I gotta pass on this one, as I just never found it to be that compelling, and I'm also not a very big Alec Baldwin fan. I get my sub movie fix from Crimson Tide.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 PM

I have the Jack Ryan Collection on HD DVD so I probably won't double dip on this.

Das Boot is a great flick. The best? hmmm. Lots of great WWII allied movies.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM

good news.
sounds like Paramount did something right for a change.

and btw: I have seen indications that "Das Boot" may not be that far off from its own bd release. say by x-mas maybe.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM

Here's a question I have. Does this release have the original burned in subtitles when the Russians speak or are they player generated?

Reason I ask is because the Australian DVD release has the subtitles in the wrong place, most notably when Alec Baldwin is holding the gun at the cook, the subtitle says "Captain scared em out of the water" which is incorrect because that should be when the Dallas jumps out of the water...

It's always annoyed me!