How many of you watch your bluray movies in true HD/DTS-HD audio? - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: have you upgraded to HD audio hardware?
Yes running HD audio receiver 59 51.30%
Yes - LPCM via HDMI 38 33.04%
Not yet but I do plan on very soon 5 4.35%
Not yet but waiting for prices to come down 7 6.09%
Dont care for upgrading, reg 5.1 is good enough 3 2.61%
Undecided, never heard true HD audio before 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
Say What?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycracksopen View Post
Is there even a difference between letting the Blu-Ray player do the decoding and letting the receiver do the decoding? I mean, they should really give you the exact same end result, shouldn't they?
One of the advertised features for the HD formats is simultaneous playback of multiple audio tracks, which is impossible to do while bitstreaming. Other than that the only differences between decoding in the player vs the receiver is volume and post processing. More often than not bitstreamed audio will be a titch louder and there are often less ways for receivers to monkey around with PCM output than bitstream (i.e. matrixing 7.1 from a 5.1 signal).
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 AM

TrueHD or DTS-HD? Pft, I can't even get Dolby Digital.
I'm just going directly to my TV from my sources.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
One of the advertised features for the HD formats is simultaneous playback of multiple audio tracks, which is impossible to do while bitstreaming. Other than that the only differences between decoding in the player vs the receiver is volume and post processing. More often than not bitstreamed audio will be a titch louder and there are often less ways for receivers to monkey around with PCM output than bitstream (i.e. matrixing 7.1 from a 5.1 signal).

by "multiple audio tracks", do you mean like the film's normal audio track, plus something such as commentary?

if so, that makes sense. i guess i just never thought of it before.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
by "multiple audio tracks", do you mean like the film's normal audio track, plus something such as commentary?

if so, that makes sense. i guess i just never thought of it before.
Yeah that's a common use for the function, used most for picture-in-picture tracks, it's also used for popup menu sounds during the movie.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 PM

I've got a receiver that can handle anything, but all of my players are the LPCM type rather than the bitstreaming type, so there it is. At least I'm ready should I get a different player!

I know from experience, though, that it doesn't matter as much as whether you have really kick-ass speakers, and mine are good but not the best. I'm hoping to upgrade them a lot more than I'm hoping to see the logos light up on my receiver, believe you me.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
boomy in a good way or a bad way?
In a good way.

I dislike PCM tracks on disks, The quality seems less... cheaper in a way. It is not a volume thing, there is a 'fuller' sound when my receiver does the decoding.

As if there is small signal loss from my player to receiver.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Before getting a Blu-Ray player, I upgraded from an Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver to the TX-SR606. The previous receiver had no HDMIs in or out, and I was using a Monoprice HDMI switcher just to switch videos into my set. I would have had to get another switcher and an audio switcher for the blu-ray player, so I sprung instead for the receiver.

I have only 6.1 channels, but the Onkyo knows to play the two rear channels as one. I listen to Blu-rays via HDMI in True HD and DTS HD Master. I listen to HD DVDs in via HDMI as PCM multichannel. My DISH receiver and all-region DVD player via HDMI for standard 5.1 audio.