How many of you watch your bluray movies in true HD/DTS-HD audio? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: have you upgraded to HD audio hardware?
Yes running HD audio receiver 59 51.30%
Yes - LPCM via HDMI 38 33.04%
Not yet but I do plan on very soon 5 4.35%
Not yet but waiting for prices to come down 7 6.09%
Dont care for upgrading, reg 5.1 is good enough 3 2.61%
Undecided, never heard true HD audio before 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM

My dad only has a legacy 5.1 Denon receiver (with no HDMI, only component and optical/coax, and i also believe it has 5.1 audio in). A Sony projector (that is capable of 720p/1080i) is hooked up via s-video, but I have not gotten the opportunity to hook it up via component.

I also have a PS3, but that's not capable of doing analog 5.1 audio out.
The setup my dad has is pretty sweet though: full B&W 5.1 speakers.
Regular DVD's DD and DTS tracks already sound pretty good, and I'm not an audiophile, so would a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA be a MASSIVE upgrade from the standard DD/DTS tracks?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
I'm sure eventually you'll outgrow that bedroom and your HT will be in another room
Lol, yeah, someday I'll be able to upgrade my HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
What does only having 5.1 sound have to do with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA?? There are HUNDREDS of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA Blu-rays out there and only a handful are 7.1. The number of channels has nothing to do with it being lossless or not.
Sorry, I should have said that I only have a 5.1 setup and the receiver isn't equipped for HD audio. I know all I would have to do is upgrade my receiver, but again, that's not really an option right now.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 AM

I really don't get this question?

If the disc has a lossless track and you are able to play it, why wouldn't you?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Sony BDPS550 7.1 analog to my Sony STRDA5000ES receiver. Pure audio, no processing. Does anyone else experience audio this way? It truly is amazing!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmodiarshazbot View Post
Sony BDPS550 7.1 analog to my Sony STRDA5000ES receiver. Pure audio, no processing. Does anyone else experience audio this way? It truly is amazing!
just because you're coming out of 8 analog outs on your BD player, that doesn't mean there's no processing

the BD player has built-in decoding

there's really no advantage to doing it that way

but there's a better chance of losing quality on an analog signal when it transfers to your receiver than a digital signal, especially since RCA is an unbalanced cable
Old 04-18-2009, 02:40 AM

I have a PS3 and HDMI connected to my Onkyo 605 receiver. Hopefully when i have some spare money and see a good deal. I will jump on a standalone player and start to bitstream it to my receiver.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycracksopen View Post
just because you're coming out of 8 analog outs on your BD player, that doesn't mean there's no processing

the BD player has built-in decoding

there's really no advantage to doing it that way

but there's a better chance of losing quality on an analog signal when it transfers to your receiver than a digital signal, especially since RCA is an unbalanced cable
Ok, fine, but I have no option. I will not replace my $1800 receiver for HDMI when I have spent $400 on a BD player to do everything for me. I have heard what my receiver does when it processes DD or DTS, etc. and I have heard what newer versions of my receiver do with audio over HDMI and prefer the sound that comes over the analog connection. I refer to it as "Farting Bass" Nothing sounds like that in real life. When it needs bass, I hear it loud and clear. When it doesn't, I hear normal audio levels. Don't equate "loud and obnoxious" with "no processing" I have listened to uncompressed audio daily since 2006. I can tell the difference.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmodiarshazbot View Post
I have listened to uncompressed audio daily since 2006. I can tell the difference.
i don't get what you're trying to say here.

audio that goes over an HDMI and is decoded at a receiver isn't any more compressed at the end of the chain than audio going through analog cables.

they are both reading off the same exact audio track on the Blu-ray disc. both signals get decoded (uncompressed). the only difference is where in the signal path that takes place.

if you're just saying that analog RCA connections sound different than HDMI, then that's all in the specific gear you've tested, and it's not a universal truth.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 AM

I listen to trueHD when available.

I don't have a HD AV receiver yet(getting 1 during the summer) but listen to true HD via the 5.1 channel analogue on my BD player and AV receiver
Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM

I do now since my contract with Nielsen is up. Their equipment gimped my receiver & it couldn't do DTS HD/True HD.

Currently I only have 5.1 though, I am shopping for 2 more speakers to make 7.1.