High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'How I Met Your Mother: Season Four' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/93740-how-i-met-your-mother-season-four-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 10-14-2009 12:08 PM

'How I Met Your Mother: Season Four' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has begun his homeschooling *in 'How I Met Your Mother.' He says
the show is fun, and he can understand it's following, but it's far
from perfect. This Blu-ray has just adequate video and audio and sparse
extras. Worth a look for sure.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2496...mother_s4.html

DrAndonuts 10-14-2009 12:36 PM

Great review, up until "I'm a n00b to the show".

FeelinRandy 10-14-2009 12:46 PM

"as there is no real reward for being a loyal viewer"

Yea, you're going to sing a different tune once you catch up with Seasons 1-3. HIMYM is full of running jokes, probably the most I've seen since Arrested Development.

I could see how you'd miss it though because Season 4 didn't mention some of them, such as the incredible Slap Bet saga. There's also a few you wouldn't catch unless you had seen the earlier seasons.

Josh Z 10-14-2009 12:47 PM

I think it would help if you'd watched from the beginning. This show is really driven by running gags that play out over the course of several seasons, much in the Seinfeld vein. For example, you complain that Ted is a meandering storyteller and there's no way his kids would have that much attention span. That's actually addressed in the show. Every time it cuts to the future kids, they're obviously bored and just humoring him. Ted is also always getting sidetracked and distracted in the "present day" scenes.

andy0510 10-14-2009 11:13 PM

Too bad you had to start the series with Season 4.
S4 didn't include Barney's popular phrases from previous seasons (Legen wait for it... DARY!, Ted look at me, look at me, look into my eyes, SUIT UP!!)
S1 was full of it which is why it is my favourite season

ben1080p 10-14-2009 11:35 PM

One of my favorite series on Television. This was definitely the weakest season and even Season 5 is trumping this one.
Order of LEGEND....wait for it...DARY status:

Season 2
Season 3
Season 1
Season 5
Season 4

Josh Z 10-15-2009 11:36 AM

I also think it deserves mentioning how blatantly obvious it is through the last half of Season 4 that both Allison Hannigan and Cobie Smulders were very, very pregnant.

lateralis 10-15-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

"as there is no real reward for being a loyal viewer"

Yea, you're going to sing a different tune once you catch up with Seasons 1-3. HIMYM is full of running jokes, probably the most I've seen since Arrested Development.
this.

this show has more continuity than ANY sitcom I've ever watched. it's honestly staggering. an attentive viewing of the entire series will reward anyone with many feelings of "oh yeah!"

one great example revolves around barney's "relationship off-ramps", his prediction of ted and robin's demise and very smart attention to detail in a flash forward to barney's bother's wedding (don't remember the season).

project-blu 10-15-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 1717135)
I also think it deserves mentioning how blatantly obvious it is through the last half of Season 4 that both Allison Hannigan and Cobie Smulders were very, very pregnant.

IMO, it was nowhere near as bad as Julia Roberts in Closer. if a show/film ever surpasses that level of obviousness, i'll hammer it, but otherwise, eh.

it's good to see we have some fans of the show up in here, and yeah, as the new guy to the show, i don't know all the nuances. i could go back and view every episode, but i wanted to do the review from the standpoint of how i purchase titles: if it ain't on blu, i ain't buyin'. since it was fresh to BD on this season, i wanted to go for it fresh.

i do hope they put out the other seasons, as the show does seem enjoyable, and if this is one of the worst seasons, and it's still pretty good, i'd like to see it running on all cylinders.

ben1080p 10-15-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 1717135)

Yeah. and for the season premiere of the 5th season, I was like holy crap....BOOBS! They are f'n huge after the the babies.