How have your Classic Film Favorites held up on Blu? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Short Circuit didn't hodl up well, but that has nothing to do with hi-def.

There is such a thing as too old to benefit from HD. I doubt you coudl make Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend look any better, for instance, but the cut-off is pre-talkie.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
It never ceases to amaze me when the whole "too old to benefit from HD" sentiment is expressed. Simply because it is so very wrong.
yeah, there's a guy that i work with that i get in HD discussions with sometimes, and he often says things like

"well, those old movies weren't filmed in HD so they won't look good on blu-ray"

i've had to explain how it works to him at least 3 times, and every time he forgets and brings it up again a few weeks later

it's amazing how difficult a concept it is for some people to grasp
Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM

For me personally, when I hear the term "classic movies" I think of films from the '30s & '40s. As previously mentioned, The Adventures of Robin Hood & Casablanca really look terrific in HD. I'm anxiously awaiting the forthcoming Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs .

And hopefully we'll see some nice transfers of "classic" films like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, King Kong (1933), All Quiet on the Western Front, It Happened One Night, Citizen Kane, David Copperfield, Captain Blood, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, etc, etc, etc.

If done right, any film can benefit from a nice HD release.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Personally, I would love to see more pre-1970 classic films released on blu-ray. These are some of the classic titles on my list.

Ben Hur
Shane
Lawrence of Arabia
North by Northwest
Twelve O'Clock High
The Big Country
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
Red River
The Quiet Man
Ice Station Zebra
Where Eagles Dare
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Magnificent Seven
Guns of Navarone
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Smile

Just finished watching Ferris Beuller's Day Off and Kramer Vs Kramer on Blu. Both looked beautiful!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 AM

The Warriors looks really good. As so did The Thing. I have yet to see my Casablanca(never seen the movie), but Fantastic Planet does look good enough to watch so far twice as I have.

*Kramer vs Kramer did look pretty good. I haven't seen it since the 80's.

Last edited by HDM-GHANDI; 05-07-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: adding*
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDM-GHANDI View Post
The Warriors looks really good. As so did The Thing. I have yet to see my Casablanca(never seen the movie), but Fantastic Planet does look good enough to watch so far twice as I have.
I have yet to see Fantastic Planet in HD. You're the 2nd person to tell me that it doesn't look all that hot.

I'm picking up Casablanca next week. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Criterion's Wages of Sin transfer is just as impressive as Casablanca. That one is 55 years old and counting. I think the fact that Paramount was able to wring out such a beautiful image for Star Trek, filmed for television in the 60s, tells you that there is the potential for any classic title to look significantly better on Bluray, if there is a print of enough quality to start with.

And to answer the original question - yes, there will be something even better down the road, I expect you'll only need to wait ten years. If that doesn't make you decide that Bluray is for you, then you just don't love film enough.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspertame View Post
I have yet to see Fantastic Planet in HD. You're the 2nd person to tell me that it doesn't look all that hot.

I'm picking up Casablanca next week. Looking forward to it!

I had never seen the movie before viewing in HD, which now I have seen twice. It looked HOT!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 AM

The only movie i own that i loved as a kid is Goonies.

I am happy with the treatment it got too,How ever i was hoping it would be a directors cut with the octopus scene put back in.

I own blade runner but that was a blind buy,but the PQ on that movie is outstanding.

Waiting for labyrinth and Tango & cash