High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'High Tension' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/110162-high-tension-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 10-28-2010 03:58 PM

'High Tension' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'High Tension' has just been posted. Drew loves this movie, even if the final twist is preposterous. He says this Blu-ray has very nice video and audio, and the extras are all carried over from the DVD. Factor in a low price, and this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3653/hightension.html

jdprice74 10-28-2010 04:13 PM

I agree with your review of the movie...

I thoroughly agree with your review about "High Tension." Throughout the entire movie I was literally on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. Then, in those last 5 minutes I completely felt a major letdown at the film becoming a little too "artsy" with the twist. I felt the same way with the movie "Identity," with John Cusack. But, this really is a very good slasher/scare flick, and I am sure I will enjoy on BD.

twonunpackmule 10-28-2010 04:23 PM

This was a film that I should have walked out on. I didn't. It remains one of my bigger regrets.

the_dude 10-28-2010 04:40 PM

great ending but the end nearly ruined it.....do yourself a favor and dont watch the last 5mins and make up your own ending

DoubleJ 10-28-2010 04:46 PM

I didn't really get much out of this movie and indeed agree that the ending was meh. The one novel by Koontz that wasn't mentioned in the review here is Intensity, which this film almost seemed to completely rip off until the third act. My suggestion is to read Intensity. Hell, check out the made-for-TV movie Intensity, which sees John C. McGinley as the maniac. The movie is okay, but McGinley is the perfect choice.

MegoApesNut 10-28-2010 05:18 PM

This is the first review I have seen that mention Dean Koontz's name, even though he missed the correct book title. While he states that this reminds him of Dean Koontz's style, me misses the obvious - that the screenplay is a CLEAR plagiarism of Koontz's "Intensity". At least it is up until the terrible twist near the end, which I am convinced was done just so they could pretend that it wasn't a rip off. I have been amazed every time I read a review that nobody picks up on this.

Stormshadow4life 10-28-2010 05:47 PM

"But that last twist is such a colossal bungle, not only from a narrative standpoint but just in terms of common sense, that it almost ruined everything that came before it."

it 100% ruined the movie for me. I was really into it too. SO DUMB!

cooltobeyou 10-28-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life (Post 2043262)
"But that last twist is such a colossal bungle, not only from a narrative standpoint but just in terms of common sense, that it almost ruined everything that came before it."

it 100% ruined the movie for me. I was really into it too. SO DUMB!

^ This. The movie went from being a really tense, suspensful thriller....easily a 4 out of 5....then it became just complete BS in the last few minutes...lucily 3/4 of the movie was good and it was still worth the $7.99 I paid for it at Best Buy.

Horsemeat Discoer 10-28-2010 07:36 PM

I'll wade in here in defence of Haute Tension, I loved the film, and had no issue with the 'twist'. A second viewing revealed interesting clues to what was to come. Made perfect sense to me. I guess some just prefer conventional plotting :wink:

The US BD is a fine representation of the theatrical look, and having recently rewatched it on the big screen, I'm pleased it appears as though Lion's Gate have not fudged with the transfer in regards to DVNR/sharpening.

wyattest30 10-28-2010 08:42 PM

Ok I've never seen this movie but heard so much about the ending, could someone please spoil it for me? I don't mind spoilers since this is a horror movie, I only this kind of film for the blood and guts.

porkjelly 10-28-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyattest30 (Post 2043413)
Ok I've never seen this movie but heard so much about the ending, could someone please spoil it for me? I don't mind spoilers since this is a horror movie, I only this kind of film for the blood and guts.

Spoiler
Near the end of the film, the heroine is revealed to be the real killer, even though we are shown another character (a large brutish man) committing the murders. She witnesses some of his crimes and even has a physical confrontation with him during the "climax". The reveal replays the murders in flashback, replacing the male antagonist with her character. It's all sort of Fight Club-ish, but not as good.

hedbeeninfested 10-28-2010 09:36 PM

This is one of the few horror movies that actually had me scared/on the edge of my seat in a long long time. I never knew the ending was the idea of another director and wonder what Aja would have done on his own. I have yet to see an Aja film I don't like, The Hills Have Eyes was incredibly brutal (that trailer scene was tough to get through), Mirrors was creepy with some good gore scenes, and Piranha was just fun. I can't wait to see what he does next!

wyattest30 10-28-2010 10:16 PM

Thanks Porkjelly. I'll check it out anyway even though that ending sounds pretty lame, I'm in the mood for blood and guts.

MegoApesNut 10-29-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedbeeninfested (Post 2043454)
This is one of the few horror movies that actually had me scared/on the edge of my seat in a long long time. I never knew the ending was the idea of another director and wonder what Aja would have done on his own.

That's my point, Aja wasn't on his own. He made almost a scene by scene movie of Koontz's book. If you want to see what he would have done if he wouldn't have been asked to do the twist, just read the book.

Landy 10-29-2010 11:30 AM

Meh, the ending didn't bother me all that much. Yes, it came from way out of left field, and could have been executed better, but it didn't jump the shark. Made sense to me.

Noibeli 10-04-2011 09:24 AM

Because of the "twist" at the end. There is NOOOO "twist" at the end, there is if you want to call it like that, only one "twist" and this is in the beginning: You see Cecile de Fance sitting in the psyc. clinic and then someone starts the camera and Celine starts to tell the story she does remember.

After this point, it's all fictional. It's only her fantasy story, lot's of things/details what director Aja does show after THIS IMPORTANT beginning, are fake or Ceciles fantasies. Celine never drove 2 cars etc., she was driving only one car. Besides, she could drive 10 cars if she want too, in her paranoide head eveything is possible....

THIS MOVIE IS A MASTERPIECE, watch it again and take a look at all hidden details, you will be suprised. Enjoy!

twonunpackmule 10-04-2011 01:05 PM

This filmed sucked. But don't take my word for it...

Noibeli 10-04-2011 02:14 PM

No prob dude! Your opinion makes sense, I just can't here the negative comments about the "twist" at the end, that sucks...