High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2010: Best Action Blu-rays of the Year - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Banned

Aliens is an action film through-and-through and has always been widely regarded as such.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Former Member

an action film....in space.....in a sci-fi setting.....full of horror elements....no.

the PREDATOR series, now those i'd call action, due to being sci-fi action, with no real horror attached, just mindless violence. there's no scares.

in the Alien films, those bastards are scary. i'm sorry. just my take. not some magic rule or edict.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Of course it blends multiple genres, but if you had to distill it down to one, it's an action film at its very core. That's how it was deliberately written and directed by Cameron, and he'd probably find it pretty funny that there are people who think otherwise. It's also on just about every single "best action films of all time" list in existence. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion on the subject, but it'd be pretty hard to argue that Aliens isn't an action film without sounding crazy to most people.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM

I agree with those who are complaining about the movies in this list that haven't even been released on BD yet. Yes they may turn out to be reference quality BDs but until they've been reviewed they should not be listed as great to own. That is simply misrepresenting the product.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM

How do real fans of blu-ray take these lists seriously? Where is IP Man?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
Of course it blends multiple genres, but if you had to distill it down to one, it's an action film at its very core. That's how it was deliberately written and directed by Cameron, and he'd probably find it pretty funny that there are people who think otherwise. It's also on just about every single "best action films of all time" list in existence. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion on the subject, but it'd be pretty hard to argue that Aliens isn't an action film without sounding crazy to most people.
at this point logic says agree to disagree, so as to not derail.

we don't see eye to eye on what to call a film. not end of the world.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 AM

"Looking over this list, 2010 has been a pretty great year for balls-to-the-wall action films on Blu-ray."

Wow.... Really??? I usually don't comment on these sort of lists but "Pretty great year for Balls-to-the-wall action films" That is just crazy talk. Looking at the list it reminded me of what a bad year it has been for action films and films in general. I will also say that Scott Pilgrim is Not an action film due to the fact that all the action scenes brought that film to a grinding halt. I should never be board by action but almost two hours of the same gag over and over again makes for some boring action.

However I loved Kick Ass and believe that was your best choice on this list. There are a few others that I enjoyed but would not call them great films. In have not seen Salt yet and I am looking foward to that one.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 AM

I'll just say: its not a good yr for Action BD gift-giving!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsfan View Post
However I loved Kick Ass and believe that was your best choice on this list. There are a few others that I enjoyed but would not call them great films. In have not seen Salt yet and I am looking foward to that one.
I think Aaron is referring to "action" movies, not necessary "great" movies.

Some of the movies such as The Expendables is indeed full of action. I'm sure action junkies would certainly love it! Though I didn't really like it but I'll buy it anyway for its action & the "action stars" in it.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchin View Post
I think Aaron is referring to "action" movies, not necessary "great" movies.

Some of the movies such as The Expendables is indeed full of action. I'm sure action junkies would certainly love it! Though I didn't really like it but I'll buy it anyway for its action & the "action stars" in it.
Yeah that is probably the case.

Book of Eli should have been on this list before many of the other choices.