Gonna be an early 4K Blu Ray adopter or not? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
I agree. I have Amazon Prime (for the free shipping) and I have never been impressed with streaming. The same with Netflix. But give it a couple of years. Look at the music industry and what iTunes has done. People don't care that CDs sound better, it's the convenience that counts. The same will happen with movies and TV shows. And even though Blu-Ray might be better, people won't care.

I'm deaf, so it's not something I usually consider. But just look at what's happened with CDs and iTunes. Everyone knows that CDs provide the better quality, but it's the convenience and cost that matters to most people.
If Apple Music is the future of movies, then that is a future we must fight.

People don't care about quality of music because they have crappy (Beats)headphones where lossy and lossless sound the same. And actually audiophiles seem to be on the rise again(hipsters are good for something lol), lossless music is more of an option as hard drive sizes get bigger, plus the vinyl resurgence. TVs however, keep getting nicer and nicer. And as people get larger displays, quality becomes more of an issue.

Streaming is here to stay, I don't think who enjoys Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and or Hulu can deny that. And in all honesty if they can match Blu Ray, or 4K Blu Ray quality, guarantee playback without interruption and that I'd never lose that which I paid for.. then yeah I might consider getting away from physical media. Given the height of that list, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Netflix and Amazon are already streaming 4k. Within the next two years streaming will be better than Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, physical media is dying.
Unless heavily compressed, to get a hiccup-free stream probably requires you be in their backyard, sort of like the tin cans tethered by a wire.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I agree. I have Amazon Prime (for the free shipping) and I have never been impressed with streaming. The same with Netflix. But give it a couple of years. Look at the music industry and what iTunes has done. People don't care that CDs sound better, it's the convenience that counts. The same will happen with movies and TV shows. And even though Blu-Ray might be better, people won't care.
I'm going to disagree there. The only reason iTunes and crap took off is because the artists today can't provide an entire album with owning. Most of them have maybe 3 good songs out of an 11ish track album, which makes spending $15 on a CD outrageous when you can buy the only song or two you like for $2.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I'm going to disagree there. The only reason iTunes and crap took off is because the artists today can't provide an entire album with owning. Most of them have maybe 3 good songs out of an 11ish track album, which makes spending $15 on a CD outrageous when you can buy the only song or two you like for $2.
..... Word.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The size of the screen doesn't matter. It's how close you are to the screen that makes the difference. If you sit 15' away from a 65" screen you won't be able to see the difference between 1080p and 4K. If you sit 3' away from a 50" screen then you'll see the difference.
While I do agree with you about the viewing quality, I think you would eventually see a difference between 1080p and 4K. Like how you'd start to see a difference with 720p vs. 1080p around the 42 inch screen size. Now with 4K, I don't think you'd start to see a difference around the 85-90 inch mark and even then the difference would be a slight one. The majority of TVs I see for sale right now with 4K resolution are anywhere between 40 inches and 65 inches. Personally, I just don't get why people would spend all that additional money on a resolution that's negligible at that screen size.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
While I do agree with you about the viewing quality, I think you would eventually see a difference between 1080p and 4K. Like how you'd start to see a difference with 720p vs. 1080p around the 42 inch screen size. Now with 4K, I don't think you'd start to see a difference around the 85-90 inch mark and even then the difference would be a slight one. The majority of TVs I see for sale right now with 4K resolution are anywhere between 40 inches and 65 inches. Personally, I just don't get why people would spend all that additional money on a resolution that's negligible at that screen size.
Then tell me how I can see a difference in HD between my TV and a 60" 4K in Best Buy? Are they just pumping in the highest 4K HD content? Do they have their settings jacked up?

Like I said, I have an LCD HDTV and when I look at TV todays I see a HUGE different in quality from LED to 4K.

Maybe if you ALREADY own a somewhat recent LED HD TV you won't see a big difference going to 4K, but for me, I see a huge difference.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM

I'm looking forward to getting a 4K projector so I can speak to comments like those. Because I remember the same comments when Blu Ray came out, that you'd need a 65"+ display to appreciate any difference. Of course you can see the difference even on a 19" PC monitor.

What I haven't gotten to see anywhere is a 1080p and 4k set from the same manufacturer, same specs other than resolution and seeing how big the difference really is.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Maybe if you ALREADY own a somewhat recent LED HD TV you won't see a big difference going to 4K, but for me, I see a huge difference.
There you go. You can't compare an older LCD with a state of the art 4k screen. You need to compare a state of the art 1080p and a state of the art 4k. Unless you are within a few feet of the screen you are not going to see the difference.

BTW, Best Buy and other stores have access to 4k material that is not available anywhere else. The sets in the store are setup to accentuate the differences.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
There you go. You can't compare an older LCD with a state of the art 4k screen. You need to compare a state of the art 1080p and a state of the art 4k. Unless you are within a few feet of the screen you are not going to see the difference.

BTW, Best Buy and other stores have access to 4k material that is not available anywhere else. The sets in the store are setup to accentuate the differences.
To your first paragraph this is my point. FOR ME, upgrading to 4k would be a NICE upgrade, ie I would see the difference on a 60-65" TV.

To your second paragraph, I agree, which is why I was a little skeptical at how good the media looked in the store.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Yeah Best Buy and others avoid material that makes their sets look bad. Just like how you'll never see fast motion demo stuff on 4K sets, unless you ask them to put something on, it'll be nice slow panning and/or static shots.