First Dolby Atmos Blu-ray Announced! - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I may be wrong, but it seems you can do front height, then two rear ceiling speakers. That would be the 9.1.2 configuration. The guide here and what ive read elsewhere implies the 7.1.4 configuration will yield better results. Id tend to agree as ive tried front height and noted no benefits.
What's funny is that I installed ceiling speakers for the back surrounds in my addition/home theater, but not due to foreseeing ATMOS. It was mainly out of necessity, because there was no good place to put two back surround speakers, due to the shape of the room, where the walls, and entry/exit points were. I also installed front ceiling speakers, predicting I would use front heights in the future. This would actually allow me 5.x.4. There is a place where I could probably put a single back surround speaker, for 6.x.4, if needed, but it'd require running an extra speaker wire through the walls.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Administrator

So, I have the first Dolby Atmos Blu-ray in hand.

Since there is no available Atmos gear yet to purchase or borrow, we're going to post the T4 review focused on the 7.1 track first, then next Wednesday (9/24) I'm going down to Pioneer's laboratory to demo their AVRs and Atmos Speakers, and re-watch the movie in Atmos.

I don't know exactly what the setup will be, but I'll try to hear a couple different configurations (in a perfect world, I would get to hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 ear-level setups WITH two to four overhead speakers, so 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4... but i'm not sure if it'll be possible). Stay tuned.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM

I'm currently in a 7.3.2 configuration with plans for 7.3.4 by the end of October, so I'm weirdly excited to hear this in my home when I get my copy but also torn because my first experience is going to be a crappy Transformers movie.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM

As I've let ATMOS at home simmer in my mind for awhile, I've gotten a bit excited about it. As I said in a previous thread, I was hoping to get a DTS NEO:X receiver but couldn't ever really commit to one. Sure, I could wait and see if they are liquidated cheaply, but not if there is a possibility of getting an ATMOS system. What bothers me is that they've only announced one film for the format. Are they really going to judge how well ATMOS at home is going to do in the marketplace by the sales figures of Transformers: Age of Extinction alone? I pre-ordered this film, without any intentions to get an ATMOS receiver, and without any knowledge of it being ATMOS at all.

As of now, I could probably come up with the money to get a 5.1.2 ATMOS receiver, but I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, unless there were processors and pre-amp outputs, for those extra two channels. So, it's one of those wait and see things. Is it going to catch on? How much content will be mixed and released for it? Only time will tell if it'll be another DTS Neo:X
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
As of now, I could probably come up with the money to get a 5.1.2 ATMOS receiver, but I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, unless there were processors and pre-amp outputs, for those extra two channels. So, it's one of those wait and see things. Is it going to catch on? How much content will be mixed and released for it? Only time will tell if it'll be another DTS Neo:X
The difference between Atmos and DTS Neo:X is that Atmos is a theatrical format too. There are already over 100 movies with existing Atmos soundtracks that could be ported to Blu-ray, and a lot more in the pipeline. DTS Neo:X is a home product only, primarily designed for on-the-fly upmixing of standard 5.1 or 5.1 soundtracks. The few Blu-rays with Neo:X optimized soundtracks had to be remixed specifically for that format.

Transformers is the first Atmos Blu-ray release. More are in the works for later this year, but the studios aren't ready to announce titles yet.