Dragon Ball Z Hits Blu-ray Disc - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM

I just got it today at Best Buy. I'm gonna watch it right now. I'll let yall know. I dont know why the release date is so late but this was there on the shelf and it was okay to buy so heh I'll let yall know.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM

I already own the complete DBZ series so I'll pass. It will too expensive to get them all again.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:44 PM

no offence to the fans but man I just hate Dragon Ball Z!!! the only thing intresting about it was the song in the begining which made me laugh all the time!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
DBZ is one series that is completely pointless to buy in HD. They aren't going to do a full expensive remaster, so it won't look any better, and as for widescreen, ALL the DBZ theatrical movies were shot in 4:3, they added black bars to the picture for the theaters in Japan.
If I remember correctly, 35mm photographic plates were the source that they remastered from. a 1080p remaster from 35mm, limited-style animation or not, is going to look significantly better.

Furthermore, theatrical matting is true of most animated films. That doesn't prevent purists from wanting those films in the way they were originally meant to be exhibited.

Quote:
I'm a purist, so I won't buy ANY anime in HD that wasn't in a widescreen aspect ratio to begin with, you're just re-buying 4:3 shows that will be cropped and have the mpeg compression artifacts eliminated.
There's nothing in the guidelines published by the Blu-Ray Disc Association that states that an HD title can't be pillarboxed. Hard letterboxing survives just fine on both dvd and scope titles on Blu-Ray.

Yes, I too would like my HD anime presented in their original intended aspect ratio. This is not impossible for them to do.

Quote:
Most of the shows had low budgets cause they were on TV anyways, Evangelion? That show would be pointless in high definition, they couldn't even do the last couple episodes right because the studio ran out of money.
That argument would eliminate a good third of the Blu-Ray catalogue titles I would buy if they ever came out. Yes, Evangelion the TV series will not look comparable to 'Spirited Away' in HD. But it will look significantly better than DVD. I didn't avoid picking up the Evangelion Renewal DVDs when they came out because the show didn't have the highest budget. I bought them and enjoyed them immensely because even on DVD, the upgraded telecine technology made them look incredible. Gainax themselves remastered the whole series and feature films from their original source film stock. The renewal archival masters were scanned in at 2K for the episode's main content off of digitally scrubbed 16mm stock and 4K for the opening and end credits which were 35mm stock.

Basically, Gainax has Evangelion mastered natively at 2048 1556 resolution in their vault. It's pretty safe to say that a blu-ray set of the Evangelion series will look *much* better than its SD counterpart.

Quote:
And judging by the cropping job funimation did on their new DBZ series season boxsets, they don't do a good job. (I own them anyway because I never paid the 20 dollars per 3 episode disc price gouging before).
I've heard that their cropping comes from peripheral damage on the full-gate transfer. It could be BS, but I don't know enough about it.

Quote:
Basically all 4:3 older anime is completely pointless to release in HD, but they'll do it anyways to cash in on the nerds.
If there's a properly pillarboxed 4:3 transfer and as long as the original source can be remastered in HD... not just a bicubic upscale from SD. Then I don't see why not.

I'd rather see Evangelion on blu-ray as a 4:3 HDTV transfer than Mahoromatic Season 2 as a 16:9 EDTV transfer.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Question

Any word on FUNimation releasing the 'Witchblade' series on Blu-ray?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM

Interesting but thats a hell of a price for a 45 minute flick??
I havent seen it but thats about what they run.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM

I just can't get this one, no matter how much I want to help anime on BD. Tekkonkinkreet and WoH were good, but these movies are by far not even close to that level.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Did anyone pick this up ??????????
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM

i hope they can fit everything into 5 discs and keep it affordable
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM

i picked it up for 25 bux, looks SOOOOO much better than my vcd version