'Die Hard Collection' - High-Def Digest review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM

I would have to disagree with the review, being a big fan of these films, I know the dvds by heart and their quality, and I was very pleased with what was released. There is a definite improvement in the sound. Huge improvement. Picture on #1 could have been better with a brand new high def master, but it still gets a 4.5 from me. All in all, I think Fox did an excellent job on this, not sure why there was a 3 rating on some of these, each one was significantly improved from the dvd releases. I recommend anyone who is dubious rent these and try them out, I think they are terrific and you will buy. The sound alone is worth it, the richness of the score is finally there, timbres, dialogue, all sound cleaner, crisper, and the separation is improved especially in the surrounds.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSICmovieboy View Post
Picture on #1 could have been better with a brand new high def master, but it still gets a 4.5 from me.
I'm pretty sure you would give Cars and Rat video quality of 5, who wouldn't. So how can you say that Die Hard is only a 1/2 star away from having as good of video quality as Cars/Rat? You need some perspective here. 3 stars video quality for Die Hard 1 and 2 makes perfect sense. I think they both look good for a catalog release but they are NOT 4 1/2 star video quality Blu-ray's.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:04 PM

I just got parts 1 through 3. Ill get Part 4 unrated on DVD. I am replacing my Trilogy on LaserDisc (THX AC-3 Releases) with the BD's for obvious reasons. I haven't watched them yet but I am sure I cannot complain especially since I am comparing them to my LD versions.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM

It looks like the first two are the exact same transferts (which probably were done in HD in 2001) as the previous SDs, only tweaked a bit and on HD. I say it's not fair, they both should look just like 3, which is clearly a different transfert than before.
Overall, with the addition of the PG-13 version of 4, this box set is totally lackluster. Only part 3 is worth the upgrade. Upconverting 1 & 2 will probably give very close results to what we have here.
We still need good transferts of 1 & 2 and the unrated 4 on HD.

Bottom line : just rebuy DH 3.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Yeah, I know Amazon is selling them as a bundle now. But I actually liked the box design and passport for the original one.
I pre-ordered at amazon for $49.95. That's a great deal!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post
Bottom line : just rebuy DH 3.
Exactly! That pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly UNLESS you are a hardcore fan of this particular series.
Very unfortunate that 4 is not the unrated version. Just read a UK magazine article about this in my local Barnes and Noble, and after reading it, I was more depressed than I was originally. Even the packaging of the bundled set stinks up the place to high heaven. Why Fox Why?? Why was it so hard to get this release right?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Well 3.5/5 is still quite good, It would have been 100x better if Live Free was unrated
Old 11-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Hmm blacks lack punch in DH1 eh? Dissapointing. Would love to see it get the royal treatment.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
HDD Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron View Post
why are you merging reviews? why not make it separate.
We'll be posting in depth reviews of each of the stand-alones ('Live Free or Die Hard is already up). This is a review of the box set.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post
Upconverting 1 & 2 will probably give very close results to what we have here.
Did you even look at the pics from AVS? The DH1 screens are a huge improvement on BD, the DVD is a blurry mess. Then again it all depends on how the old eyesight works