High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Die Hard Collection' - High-Def Digest review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/26824-die-hard-collection-high-def-digest-review.html)

jed 11-21-2007 01:01 PM

'Die Hard Collection' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's mammoth review of 'The Die Hard Collection.' Containing all four flicks, this is more or less what you would expect from a series that spans two decades, with the earlier installments clearly showing their age. Still, this one ultimately delivers on the bottom line, porting over most of the supplements from previous DVD releases, and finally bringing the complete McClane quadrology to high-def.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1105...ollection.html

RandellG 11-21-2007 01:06 PM

Good enough for me...

Lucifuge 11-21-2007 01:12 PM

Peter (or anyone else who can answer),

This might be a bad question, but here goes - do you think the BD versions of DH 1-3 are a significant improvement over the DH Trilogy SD box set that came out a few years back (the ones with DTS audio)? I really want to pick this up, but now I'm hesitant after reading this. The SD set looks fairly good upconverted. How worth the upgrade do you really think this is?

Brad1963 11-21-2007 01:13 PM

I thought about buying just DIE HARD by itself. But now after this review I will pass.

Arkadin 11-21-2007 01:19 PM

WOW. Sorry this sounds extremely dissapointing regarding pq for 1 and 2. Everybody hopefully will finally quit claiming that Fox is somehow the next coming of God with their transfers. Bottem line is Fox's catalog transfers of 4 extremely high profile titles have not blown ANYONE away. In fact, not even close. I'm not saying these movie (Robocop, The Fly, etc.) will ever look pristine necessarily, but it seems to me that regarding catalogs, Fox is average at best so far. Universal has done far better with their recent catalogs than Fox imo, no question.

dominica 11-21-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifuge (Post 457778)
Peter (or anyone else who can answer),

This might be a bad question, but here goes - do you think the BD versions of DH 1-3 are a significant improvement over the DH Trilogy SD box set that came out a few years back (the ones with DTS audio)? I really want to pick this up, but now I'm hesitant after reading this. The SD set looks fairly good upconverted. How worth the upgrade do you really think this is?

SD vs BD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12197385

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12197388

Lucifuge 11-21-2007 01:45 PM

Are my eyes f***ing with me? It looks like the difference in PQ in DH1 is dramatically better on the BD, and not so much on DH: WAT. I just might run out and grab the first DH today. Thanks for the links!! :)

Hobbun 11-21-2007 02:08 PM

I'll have to agree with some of the others sentiments on here that the review left me disappointed. I understand some of these movies are old, but I was hoping for a better review for both PQ and AQ for the 1st and 2nd movies. Especially the first one as it is my favorite.

I mean heck, if Star Trek: TOS series can be cleaned up, so can the orginal Die Hard.

dominica 11-21-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifuge (Post 457881)
Are my eyes f***ing with me? It looks like the difference in PQ in DH1 is dramatically better on the BD, and not so much on DH: WAT. I just might run out and grab the first DH today. Thanks for the links!! :)

Ya it looks much better than the SD. Amazon/UPS is on the way today :D. Should be a great watch over the holiday. :o

metatron 11-21-2007 02:15 PM

why are you merging reviews? why not make it separate.

dachst8087 11-21-2007 02:42 PM

They Blew It Again! A Collection That Should Have Been Worked On Till It Was Clean And Ready To View. But No They Rushed Out And Didnt Give It The Pq It Needs! Another Blu Blunder!

Superking 11-21-2007 02:49 PM

Judging from those pics posted on avsforum, I'd say it's definitely an upgrade over the DVDs.

But without unrated LFoDH, I'd have to pass. =/

taygan315 11-21-2007 02:55 PM

Thanks for the detailed and complete break down for each disc Peter. Very informative. Best review for this set than any other site I have been on...which is why HDD is the best, imho. Alright...I need to stop. My lips are turning brown,lol. Seriously, thanks.

ChrisInCali 11-21-2007 03:06 PM

Wow, those pics won me back over. It's a definite upgrade, and there's the proof.

Lucifuge 11-21-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisInCali (Post 458168)
Wow, those pics won me back over. It's a definite upgrade, and there's the proof.

I have to agree, in regards to DH1. That looks fantastic. DH3 looks a little better. Did anyone do a side-by-side of DH2? I didn't see it in that thread.

Still, I have to hold off on LFoDH until they release the unrated cut. I'm sure they'll get around to it one of these years. :D

shanester 11-21-2007 03:33 PM

The picture quality isn't much of a surpise for the first 2.

Wasn't this release rushed after one of the Studios (?) said they were going HD exclusive

I'm gonna pass on this and spend my money on the Bourne Trilogy coiming out at Xmas instead

Hobbun 11-21-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanester (Post 458287)

Wasn't this release rushed after one of the Studios (?) said they were going HD exclusive

I'm gonna pass on this and spend my money on the Bourne Trilogy coiming out at Xmas instead

Universal unfortunately cancelled the Bourne Trilogy boxset.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...n_HD_DVD_/1171

Spideybat 11-21-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbun (Post 458352)
Universal unfortunately cancelled the Bourne Trilogy boxset.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...n_HD_DVD_/1171

You can buy them in a bundle at a great savings. :)

messin18 11-21-2007 03:49 PM

PLEASE PETER. You HAVE to do this for your site. This is what we all need to see. Side by side so we can judge the upgrade ourselves. After reading th review i wasn't going to buy it. After seeing these pictures I AM going to buy it. The PQ upgrade shown in these pictures is very significant.

Hobbun 11-21-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spideybat (Post 458363)
You can buy them in a bundle at a great savings. :)

Yeah, I know Amazon is selling them as a bundle now. But I actually liked the box design and passport for the original one. :)

Besides, it's not too big of an issue for me as I already got the Bourne Idenitity for free when buying my A35. It actually saves me from having an extra copy of 'Identity.' ;)

CLASSICmovieboy 11-21-2007 03:56 PM

I would have to disagree with the review, being a big fan of these films, I know the dvds by heart and their quality, and I was very pleased with what was released. There is a definite improvement in the sound. Huge improvement. Picture on #1 could have been better with a brand new high def master, but it still gets a 4.5 from me. All in all, I think Fox did an excellent job on this, not sure why there was a 3 rating on some of these, each one was significantly improved from the dvd releases. I recommend anyone who is dubious rent these and try them out, I think they are terrific and you will buy. The sound alone is worth it, the richness of the score is finally there, timbres, dialogue, all sound cleaner, crisper, and the separation is improved especially in the surrounds.

SBrooks1 11-21-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLASSICmovieboy (Post 458396)
Picture on #1 could have been better with a brand new high def master, but it still gets a 4.5 from me.

I'm pretty sure you would give Cars and Rat video quality of 5, who wouldn't. So how can you say that Die Hard is only a 1/2 star away from having as good of video quality as Cars/Rat? You need some perspective here. 3 stars video quality for Die Hard 1 and 2 makes perfect sense. I think they both look good for a catalog release but they are NOT 4 1/2 star video quality Blu-ray's.

supra2jzgte 11-21-2007 04:04 PM

I just got parts 1 through 3. Ill get Part 4 unrated on DVD. I am replacing my Trilogy on LaserDisc (THX AC-3 Releases) with the BD's for obvious reasons. I haven't watched them yet but I am sure I cannot complain especially since I am comparing them to my LD versions.

dvdvision 11-21-2007 04:13 PM

It looks like the first two are the exact same transferts (which probably were done in HD in 2001) as the previous SDs, only tweaked a bit and on HD. I say it's not fair, they both should look just like 3, which is clearly a different transfert than before.
Overall, with the addition of the PG-13 version of 4, this box set is totally lackluster. Only part 3 is worth the upgrade. Upconverting 1 & 2 will probably give very close results to what we have here.
We still need good transferts of 1 & 2 and the unrated 4 on HD.

Bottom line : just rebuy DH 3.

shanester 11-21-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobbun (Post 458377)
Yeah, I know Amazon is selling them as a bundle now. But I actually liked the box design and passport for the original one. :)

I pre-ordered at amazon for $49.95. That's a great deal!

Arkadin 11-21-2007 04:29 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdvision (Post 458450)
Bottom line : just rebuy DH 3.

Exactly! That pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly UNLESS you are a hardcore fan of this particular series.
Very unfortunate that 4 is not the unrated version. Just read a UK magazine article about this in my local Barnes and Noble, and after reading it, I was more depressed than I was originally. Even the packaging of the bundled set stinks up the place to high heaven. Why Fox Why?? Why was it so hard to get this release right? :confused::(

mrkiller 11-21-2007 04:49 PM

Well 3.5/5 is still quite good, It would have been 100x better if Live Free was unrated :(

Vriess 11-21-2007 05:17 PM

Hmm blacks lack punch in DH1 eh? Dissapointing. Would love to see it get the royal treatment.

jed 11-21-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metatron (Post 457973)
why are you merging reviews? why not make it separate.

We'll be posting in depth reviews of each of the stand-alones ('Live Free or Die Hard is already up). This is a review of the box set.

Kenshiro 11-21-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdvision (Post 458450)
Upconverting 1 & 2 will probably give very close results to what we have here.

Did you even look at the pics from AVS? The DH1 screens are a huge improvement on BD, the DVD is a blurry mess. Then again it all depends on how the old eyesight works ;)

Spideybat 11-21-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenshiro (Post 458733)
Did you even look at the pics from AVS? The DH1 screens are a huge improvement on BD, the DVD is a blurry mess. Then again it all depends on how the old eyesight works ;)

Wow! I just looked at the comparison shot. The BD Set blows the SD away! Glad I got min in today. :D

RandellG 11-21-2007 06:39 PM

I actually like how this review is done. It's a lot better than the box set of Spider-man. The reviews aren't cluttered. I never even went to read the review for the SM Tri. cause it didn't break the reviews down for each disc, which I believe was a good idea. I checked and Peter did do both reviews, before buying the SM Tri. I wanted to see if SM 2.1 was in it and it took me a year and a day to find out it was. I wish he could go and redo the SM one, well then again no cause I know he won't have time, but I hope he does it for the HP box set....

Oh and whoever said they wished he would have separated the reviews, he did. He more than likely didn't want to waste time putting each one on a different page, that takes a while, trust me I know.

WinLwin 11-22-2007 12:03 AM

Are you kidding me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachst8087 (Post 458073)
They Blew It Again! A Collection That Should Have Been Worked On Till It Was Clean And Ready To View. But No They Rushed Out And Didnt Give It The Pq It Needs! Another Blu Blunder!

Don't believe in those reviews who looked down upon this Die Hard Collection. Picture Quality is outstanding for me as well as Audio Profile. I have more than 125 BDs and 30 HD DVDs and I can say it's a collection you must own. It's much better than most of Universal HD titles. Forgot about those HD DVD backers who couldn't get FOX titles. This is it. Jealousy. :p

weasl 11-22-2007 12:09 AM

Going to have to agree with the other posters on this one. Even the first 2 movies are a solid 4 out of 5 on PQ in my book.

WinLwin 11-22-2007 12:15 AM

What do you (HD DVD Backer) know about Blu Ray?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkadin (Post 457801)
WOW. Sorry this sounds extremely dissapointing regarding pq for 1 and 2. Everybody hopefully will finally quit claiming that Fox is somehow the next coming of God with their transfers. Bottem line is Fox's catalog transfers of 4 extremely high profile titles have not blown ANYONE away. In fact, not even close. I'm not saying these movie (Robocop, The Fly, etc.) will ever look pristine necessarily, but it seems to me that regarding catalogs, Fox is average at best so far. Universal has done far better with their recent catalogs than Fox imo, no question.

Don't spread your reckless childish critism over this Blu Ray Collection. If you have a good system set up properly, in any point side of view, blu ray quality is much better than HD DVD. Did you really see all 4 blu ray dvds. Sorry you couldn't enjoy coz you are HD DVD backer and can't get FOX titles. I have more than 20 Universal HD DVD titles and most of them suck in audio but I admit some of the picture quality are good enough but can't beat blu ray except the last Dreamworks title Shrek the Third HD can compare with Blu Ray titles, forgete about Transformers HD(even though I owned it, compared with Ratatouille). Pls. don't use your extreme assumption of "Universal has done far better than FOX", LOL. <:-|

mrkiller 11-22-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinLwin (Post 459524)
Don't spread your reckless childish critism over this Blu Ray Collection. If you have a good system set up properly, in any point side of view, blu ray quality is much better than HD DVD. Did you really see all 4 blu ray dvds. Sorry you couldn't enjoy coz you are HD DVD backer and can't get FOX titles. I have more than 20 Universal HD DVD titles and most of them suck in audio but I admit some of the picture quality are good enough but can't beat blu ray except the last Dreamworks title Shrek the Third HD can compare with Blu Ray titles, forgete about Transformers HD(even though I owned it, compared with Ratatouille). Pls. don't use your extreme assumption of "Universal has done far better than FOX", LOL. <:-|

I support both formats but I have to say that Universal is a stronger supporter/backer for HD DVD than Fox is for Blu-ray.

and how is the blu-ray's quality "much better" ? they are the exact same! watch King Kong on HD DVD and you'll understand.

WinLwin 11-22-2007 12:33 AM

Sorry You Can't Enjoy our Blu Nation

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanester (Post 458287)

Sorry, mate. You gonna lose a lot of good titles from FOX, Disney, and Sony. DH Blu Ray Collection is much better than SD Versions in terms of picture quality and audio profiles coz I owned both formats. If you have a good/ up to date receiver such as Yamaha 3800, Onkyo 875/905 or Denon 3808 etc to encode DTS loseless HD Master Audio or Doubly True HD with HDMI 1.3 profile plus HDTV with 24 frame capability, you will definitely see the difference between Blu Ray and HD DVD. I own both formats but I prefer Blu Ray now because I know which one is better now. Seeing is Believing. That's why if you don't know the whole thing, don't imply the partial stuff and pls. post your goodies in your HD DVD side. Pls. tell me if you watched all 4 movies in blu ray format or not. Otherwise pls. shut up.%-(

WinLwin 11-22-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkiller (Post 459553)
I support both formats but I have to say that Universal is a stronger supporter/backer for HD DVD than Fox is for Blu-ray.

and how is the blu-ray's quality "much better" ? they are the exact same! watch King Kong on HD DVD and you'll understand.

You are right King Kong is one of the outstanding releases from HD DVD sides, I do agree with you and I owned it too. In terms of human eyes, about 80% of ordinary people couldn't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p and forget about 1080p 24 frames and 60 frames difference. In average, you can't argue with me Blu Ray beats HD DVD in audio. Look at WB titles, such as 300, pollar express. You will see the difference after a while you spent watching in both formats. But I just want to say don't assume bad things if you haven't seen and known about other formats and spread the rumors. If you really support both sides. :eek:

ds0gt 11-22-2007 01:03 AM

wow hose pics on avs fourm sure helped me , now ill b egetting this for sure with my Birth-Day money!!

mrkiller 11-22-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinLwin (Post 459578)
You are right King Kong is one of the outstanding releases from HD DVD sides, I do agree with you and I owned it too. In terms of human eyes, about 80% of ordinary people couldn't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p and forget about 1080p 24 frames and 60 frames difference. In average, you can't argue with me Blu Ray beats HD DVD in audio. Look at WB titles, such as 300, pollar express. You will see the difference after a while you spent watching in both formats. But I just want to say don't assume bad things if you haven't seen and known about other formats and spread the rumors. If you really support both sides. :eek:

Well, if you have a lossless system, then yes, blu-ray does win in the audio section, but if you dont and your using optical (me), they sound the same.