'Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
The review for the first movie is very different to the one that HDD published previously for the last Die Hard box set. This is confusing, as it is the same encode.

The last reviewer had described it as a disappointment and this latest reviewer has described the source to be in "excellent condition". I find it ridiculous that they recycled a 6 year old master for a 25th anniversary addition.
Personally, I've always felt that our original reviewer was far too hard on the transfer for the first Die Hard. It may not be an absolutely perfect transfer, but it's a pretty good presentation for what that movie's photography has always looked like.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM

It's worth mentioning that Bruce Willy does not participate in any of the new extras, according to another review.

It may not be worth mentioning, but whatever anyone thinks about the first 3, I feel like the last 2 don't count. Live Free is just so far away from everything the series is about, and A Good Day is complete ass. Shoehorning the John McClane character into projects that so obviously started life having nothing to do with him brings absolutely nothing to the table.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM

regarding the unrated Part 4, while this collection only has the PG-13, the individual release that came out the same day as this collection does have the unrated. not sure how or why that happened. of course i'm gonna wait for i'm guessing is an inevitable 5 movie collection after Part 5 hits. of course they've announced Part 5 and all its extras and still no word on a new set but its Fox..they will eventually. lol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
It may not be worth mentioning, but whatever anyone thinks about the first 3, I feel like the last 2 don't count. Live Free is just so far away from everything the series is about, and A Good Day is complete ass. Shoehorning the John McClane character into projects that so obviously started life having nothing to do with him brings absolutely nothing to the table.
I'm a Highlander fan. As with all hardcore Highlander fans, I do a lot of pretending that certain movies don't exist. More power to you, it's easy to do and keeps the wrinkles off your brow.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I'm a Highlander fan. As with all hardcore Highlander fans, I do a lot of pretending that certain movies don't exist. More power to you, it's easy to do and keeps the wrinkles off your brow.
I consider myself a Highlander fan, and I only have ever seen the original movie (about 50 times). I know there is other content out there, but I felt watching it all would do more harm than good.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM

If you can't compartmentalize to ignore their plot contributions, then yeah I'd stay away from the sequels lol, they will indeed do more harm than good. I just enjoy the Highlander sequels all as their own stand alone movies, which is really how they work anyway, completely ignoring the ending of the original and each other lol.

Oh Bouncy, that unrated version that got released simultaniously is just the SD DVD they threw in, it's not HD.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedram View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but from what I've read it is not included in this set (and is still only available on DVD). It seems to be mostly adding stuff that wasn't there though (dubbing in swearing and adding CG blood), rather that putting things back in that were cut out - so not really a must have anyway.
No actually it is worth owning, the violence and language were cut OUT for the PG-13, new dubbing wasnt added because you can plainly see in the PG-13 version that their mouths are moving and nothing is being said, I've seen the unrated a couple times and its far superior and puts back what should have been there, especially when it comes to McClane
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Personally, I've always felt that our original reviewer was far too hard on the transfer for the first Die Hard. It may not be an absolutely perfect transfer, but it's a pretty good presentation for what that movie's photography has always looked like.
It's Die Hard, Josh. They can spend a couple mil on the restoration or whatever they need to do to give it the best presentation possible. We know the sales will cover it and more. The fact is that Murdoch is a notoriously tight fisted jerk who doesn't spend money, even on times when it's warranted like this. Another case in point is the first "X-Men" and how they refused to really spend any money on it for effects as such. What did they spend? I think it was like $50 million or a little more for such a storied comic book.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
Shoehorning the John McClane character into projects that so obviously started life having nothing to do with him brings absolutely nothing to the table.
If that's the case, the only Die Hard movie you should like is the new one, A Good Day to Die Hard, which is the first movie in the franchise explicitly written to be a Die Hard sequel. All of the others started out as something else, including the first movie, which was supposed to be a sequel to a 1968 Frank Sinatra film called The Detective.

Die Hard 2 was based on the unrelated book '58 Minutes' by Walter Wager. Die Hard with a Vengeance combined scripts for an unproduced Lethal Weapon sequel and an original screenplay called 'Simon Says'. Live Free or Die Hard began as a cyber-terrorism thriller named 'WW3.com'.

A Good Day to Die Hard is the first time that a screenwriter started with a blank slate and said, "Let's write a Die Hard sequel with John McClane."
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If that's the case, the only which is the first movie in the franchise explicitly written to be a Die Hard sequel.
If I recall correctly, Tears of the Sun was almost revised to be a sequel to Die Hard. Not sure if that was the original intent, then it was rewritten, or what.