the descent=garbage movie - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
****SPOILERS****

i just finished watching the unrated cut where i ges the difference is that she wakes up from her dream and is still in the descent. i bought this movie because it got a very high 84% rating on rottentomatoes as well as a great review from the editors here. for some reason, i just didnt find the movie to be scary at all. i didnt think the "crawlers" were any intimidating at all other than that they slit ur throat with their teeth. it was a different kind of horror movie than most of them today which i liked. i liked how it wasnt like the hills have eyes and all that crap. so idk maybe my hopes were too high or idk. probably the number one thing i disliked was how it was all repititious with just having a monster come out and somebody being killed and then 10 minutes of wandering and then another monster comes out and another person is killed. so idk maybe i should watch it again but thats just my opinion. if theres a sequel, i'll see it jsut to see if it makes the story all the better to like.
I absolutely love this movie and Neil Marshall's other horror flick, "Dog Soldiers." The Descent is far more than a repetitive kill-fest. First of all, it was gorgeously filmed, with thematic visual changes happening amazingly often for an underground (literally) movie. It was like a "descent" into the paranoid mistrust of the human condition when placed in peril. It reminded me, in ways, of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre, in that mistrust and violence were an unspoken given.

Anyway I think this is the greatest horror film I've seen in years, and the best of the new wave of horror directors. The crawlers are exquisite and scary as frak. Crank up the volume, turn all the lights off, and prepare to be scared out of your skin!

-TK
Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkin-Monkey View Post
I have to completely disagree with you. I love this movie. One of the best horror movies I have seen to date. The Uncut ending (also the UK ending) is way better than the ending that was released in the US (US ending...).
I agree with you. I thought this movie was great
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 AM

I have to say I loved the movie as well. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. This is one of the very few BD exclusives I wish was on HD DVD.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
yeah i love scary movies but i just didnt find this movie scary at all. it was more of a just killfest and thats it. no scare factor at all.
I agree with you completely. I saw this film quite a while after release. I had seen the reviews and comments from other people saying how scary it was and it was meant to be the best horror film in recent years.

How disappointed could I be? Quite a bit. I was expecting a scary film but it was not... at all. Yes, it was jumpy but not scary. Plus, the film wasn't that good imo either. I still am baffled when people rave about this movie, I just did not see the attraction.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
I agree with you completely. I saw this film quite a while after release. I had seen the reviews and comments from other people saying how scary it was and it was meant to be the best horror film in recent years.

How disappointed could I be? Quite a bit. I was expecting a scary film but it was not... at all. Yes, it was jumpy but not scary. Plus, the film wasn't that good imo either. I still am baffled when people rave about this movie, I just did not see the attraction.
I agree. Didn't like it. Sold my copy. The End.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM

I love horror and suspense movies, but this movie was boring and silly to me. Worst of all the acting was horrendous, I was glad when each girl was killed just so I wouldn't have to hear them any more. The creatures were just not scary at all, they get killed easier than the vampires on Dusk till Dawn.

The one cool scence was when they had to push the bone back into the girl's leg to repair a fracture. Other than that I was falling asleep on this one.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 PM

It could be that the word is out and people know how scary this movie is. When I saw it, the day it came out in the theatres (US), I didn't think it would be that scary. Most of the audience screamed throughout the movie and the two girls next to us were crying. I thought it was very well done and there were parts where I could feel my heart pounding on my chest because of the tension. I showed it to my sister- on our 43" Plasma screen, Bose 7.1 surround sound, lights out, volume turned up- and she thought it was pretty scary. I think it all depends where and who you see it with.
I agree with the other guy on here- turn of the lights, crack up the volume, and watch the movie.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkin-Monkey View Post
I agree with the other guy on here- turn of the lights, crack up the volume, and watch the movie.
I did - and it had no effect on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
The one cool scence was when they had to push the bone back into the girl's leg to repair a fracture. Other than that I was falling asleep on this one.
For me, the scariest part was when they were wiggling through the tunnel and one of them got stuck. That sense of claustrophobia was more scary than anything else!