'Deep Purple with Orchestra: Live at Montreux 2011' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM

yeah. with all due respect, this review is flat-out atrocious, as evidenced by the amount of evidence listed by other forum members in this thread.

here's another complaint - in the closing notes of the review, Luke states: "The majority of their repetitious music is "butt rock," and with Gillian's vocals sounding like an Iron Maiden impression, it sure doesn't help."

my guess is that he is referencing Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson with this statement, and if that's the case, then i think he should know that Dickinson references Gillian as one of the extreme influences on his style and evolution as a singer.

i think some sort of explanation is in order.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx66 View Post
I've been an avid follower of HDD for the past 3 yrs. & never felt compelled to post a reply until I read this ludicrous review.

And why is it that almost all rock bands at one time or another feel it necessary to be accompanied by an orchestra? From extremely melodic bands like Yes, I can see it fitting. But why Deep Purple? Why Metallica? The riff-driven, heavily distorted music doesn't lend itself well to orchestral accompaniment.

Deep Purple was the first rock band ever to record with an orchestra. They recorded (live) a full length album in 1969, with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, titled "Concerto for Group & Orchestra". Hows "that" for innovation? If any band is qualified to play with an orchestra it would be DP.
Since when is a band's talent measured by how many "hits" they've had? Jimi Hendrix never had any top 10 hits either...(not in America)These guys paved the road for what was to become Heavy Metal (along with Sabbath & Zepplin)
As far as Ian Gillan's attire is concerned, would you rather have seen him wearing some spandex & spikes? Who cares? He's paid his dues & can wear whatever he wants.

Well said well said. Reviewers are here often to defend their reviews why hasn't this guy sacked up and come in here and explain his poor excuse for a review.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Imho this disc looked quite good on my 32 inch LCD tv[no contrast issues at all].
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmess View Post
I'll admit that I'm probably only commenting because of the very negative comments about the band, but...did Luke type this review on his Blackberry or does he need an editor? The review is scattered with poor wording such as:

"The current Deep Purple is shell of the original band. Most of the members are now replacement of the originals."

"By why Deep Purple?"

"Presumably, true Deep Purple fans with enjoy seeing their beloved rock band"

"Inserting in the case is a four-page booklet with photos from the show and an essay about Deep Purple by writer Max Bell."

And as far as I know, three of the five band members are from the classic line-up.
You missed the funniest one:

"Ian Gillian reminds me of geezer I met at the pool while visiting my grandparents at the retirement community Leisure World in Arizona"
Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeskillz View Post
Serious can we get someone who is a fan of the band to review this?
You assume that there's anyone on staff who is a fan of Deep Purple, or knows anything about the band, or gives a flying frack about them. That's an AWFULLY big assumption. This is not deeppurplefans.com. Luke is entitled to his opinion of the band and the concert, whether you agree with him or not.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You assume that there's anyone on staff who is a fan of Deep Purple, or knows anything about the band, or gives a flying frack about them. That's an AWFULLY big assumption. This is not deeppurplefans.com. Luke is entitled to his opinion of the band and the concert, whether you agree with him or not.
i agree completely Josh, that reviewing this disc has nothing to do with whether or not the reviewer is a fan of Deep Purple, but the other fact of the matter is that Luke wrote a review plagued by an extreme lack of research on the band, not even showing the necessary amount to back up his incorrect claims, as well as not proofreading his writing, since the review is crippled by several grammar problems. the latter might be the editor's problem but regardless, this review is a very bad one, and that's the legitimate complaint.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Josh, the fact that he's not a fan of Deep Purple is really the least of this review's problems. It's full of grammar mistakes, bafflingly ignorant statements and plain falsehoods.

I've come to expect a certain standard from this site, and this review makes me wonder whether you guys have any sort of quality control.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Wow seriously wow now your defending this piece of crap review? Fine you guys aren't fans of DP but damn at least act professional and do a good job with the review. I've been on here since the start of your site and this really is a shame you guys are acting this way. If you are going to crap out a review then why even bother.

Hey here is my disc review of Shakira

ummm some chick from a few years ago ummm she looks like some random hispanic girl I saw at the pool at some random vacation I took somewhere I don't really like her music and what is she doing singing in Spanish? Like everyone does that nowww.

1 Star.

Luckily I don't try to pass myself off as a professional reviewer or else that would have looked bad!

Review:

And why is it that almost all rock bands at one time or another feel it necessary to be accompanied by an orchestra? From extremely melodic bands like Yes, I can see it fitting. But why Deep Purple? Why Metallica? The riff-driven, heavily distorted music doesn't lend itself well to orchestral accompaniment. The only times that the orchestra proves to be a worthy addition to this concert is when they're without the band or functioning as the supporting back-up music to sweet guitar or keyboard solo. Aside from that, they add nothing to the show.

Wiki freaking pedia:

The band gained some much-needed publicity in September, 1969, with the Concerto for Group and Orchestra, a three-movement epic composed by Lord as a solo project and performed by the band at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Malcolm Arnold.Together with Five Bridges by The Nice, it was one of the first collaborations between a rock band and an orchestra.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Sorry Josh,

I do not mind that you do not care about DP. But writing a review with less research than a 5th grader at school is a big quality issue. I always considered this site as very professional but this review with all the flaws that have been pointed out is a shame for any serious reviewer.