'David Gilmour: Remember That Night' -- pre-release buzz - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powervideo View Post
I have not noticed the dead channel but the picture quality and repetitive camera work/direction/post-production grading is truly awful. How many times do we see that upper level dolly track past the chandelier? Jeesh! David (the real one), are you reading this? Love your work, but Iím sorry to say the Roger Waters "In The Flesh" standard-def DVD kills this one.

Peter

You can only do so much in the home-viewing concert environment.

It's very dependent on the entertainment value vis. the generic camera effects.

High Definition enhances this, but a successful home video presentation is still is hinged on the Entertainment, in the end.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM

In the end, the visual direction is not really a major issue with this release. It's the heavy-handed colour grading and over-use of diffusion that shouldn't have been applied. IMHO.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transpo62 View Post
... my left front channel is dead.
anyway, has anybody else encountered this dead channel issue with this disc?
i'd appreciate some feedback...
tks, mark
Yup, same here - the left front is dead in the 5.1 Tru HD mix. Stereo works fine, as does every other disc I have ...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 PM

thanks for confirming the dead channel. so glad it is not my equipment. much appreciated...

now, how do we get a replacement that works?

mark
Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
thanks for confirming the dead channel. so glad it is not my equipment. much appreciated...

mark
Try posting this to the blog on double u double u double u david gilmour dot com
They will read this and probably let you know.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:

mark
Confirmed again on another setup, making it three different player/receiver combinations that do not pass a left channel in the TRU-HD mix.

How is it that with all the complaints about film grain & noise no one else noticed the missing left channel of audio? Google shows no hint of an issue anywhere and I can't believe there are no other viewers with TRU HD capability ...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 PM

I didn't remember any audio issues with my copy so I just went back and checked the disc... it's fine. I can confirm that I have all channels in TrueHD mode. FWIW, I'm bitstreaming via hdmi.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotie View Post
I didn't remember any audio issues with my copy so I just went back and checked the disc... it's fine. I can confirm that I have all channels in TrueHD mode. FWIW, I'm bitstreaming via hdmi.
Thanks for the reply!

Just double checking what you're saying:

There are two audio tracks on the disc, a 3/2.1 Dolby Digital track and a LPCM 2 channel track. The Dolby Digital track is TrueHD, but will down-mix to a number of other formats including stereo and pro logic surround. The LPCM track will up-mix into fake THX surround etc.

On the receivers I tried, every possible combination of player/receiver option worked perfectly, except choosing the Dolby Digital 3/2.1 audio track with Dolby TrueHD active on the receiver (ie: receiver indicating a TrueHD signal)

All other surround modes worked fine, but TrueHD has no left channel, although it does have good imaging between the center and right channels ...
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdav View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Just double checking what you're saying:

All other surround modes worked fine, but TrueHD has no left channel, although it does have good imaging between the center and right channels ...
There DEFINITELY is a LEFT channel on the TrueHD track on the copy I have. By the way, this disc sounds awesome! I had it cranked up and it felt like I was really there.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 AM

Red face

thanks guys. we are now up to 3 systems that have the same problem = no left front channel from a dolby true hd bitstream.

again, here is my set up: panasonic dmp-bd30 blu ray player [updated w the latest firmware] connected to a brand new pioneer elite receiver via hdmi 1.3, with the player sending a pure dolby true hd bitstream to the receiver for decoding.

...not much more to add to that other than to say thanks.

i'll keep you posted re how i secure a replacement disc that works.

rgds, mark