'David Gilmour: Remember That Night' -- pre-release buzz - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour View Post
Anyone got a confirmation that Roger will release a DVD too? Haven't read that anywhere at all.
My former colleague at Sony Music says it's in the works for February or March. They filmed quite a few shows, especially in South America.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM

I'm bummed for two reasons on this release...

DVD - I own it and LOVE the music, setlist, etc. But I have to agree with the postings in this thread - the noise in it is just awful. I thought I got a bad copy or something. My HD-A3 does a nice job upconverting DVDs and making them look nice, but not on this one. Lots of grain, bad bleeding in the highly lit scenes. Overall I am impressed by the actual content, but the presentation is very low-res. I wonder what happened.

HD-DVD - I only own an HD-DVD player, so I don't get to see this in Hi-Def It seemed on the GIlmour site that he had it listed as dual format (BD, HDDVD) but now only the Blu-ray version is out.

Oh and this is my first post! I like the site so far
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 AM

I got the blu disc today. I wish I would have read the reviews first. Needless to say I'm very disapointed with the video noise. It looks like (Concert part) it was shot in two different formats. Some is shots are detail oriented and other are blow out bad. The sound I must say is excellent. Another lession learned before with Bruce's "Night In Dublin".

You would think they wouldn't bother with this poor quality. This is not the Blu Disc concert film (I was hoping) to show off my 1080 Video & Audio system to my friends.

I'll keep using Cream @ RAH in HD. (Still my Favorite to date)

My hope now is Paramount will release The Stones "Shine a Light' in HD in spring 08.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinrock View Post
I got the blu disc today. I wish I would have read the reviews first. Needless to say I'm very disapointed with the video noise. It looks like (Concert part) it was shot in two different formats. Some is shots are detail oriented and other are blow out bad. The sound I must say is excellent. Another lession learned before with Bruce's "Night In Dublin".

You would think they wouldn't bother with this poor quality. This is not the Blu Disc concert film (I was hoping) to show off my 1080 Video & Audio system to my friends.
I can't believe this. Considering how nice the PQ is on Roger Waters 2000(!) concert on SD DVD I can't understand why in 2007 David Gilmour is not able to shoot a concert the right way. Like I said, the DVD has some nice high quality shots (Rick Wright close ups) but also lots of grain. And that remains in the BluRay disc? Wow! Amazing. But then in a negative way
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyG View Post
I'm bummed for two reasons on this release...

HD-DVD - I only own an HD-DVD player, so I don't get to see this in Hi-Def It seemed on the GIlmour site that he had it listed as dual format (BD, HDDVD) but now only the Blu-ray version is out.
I believe the HD DVD release is UK-only. I don't think the extras are as extensive as the BD version though.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour View Post
I can't believe this. Considering how nice the PQ is on Roger Waters 2000(!) concert on SD DVD I can't understand why in 2007 David Gilmour is not able to shoot a concert the right way. Like I said, the DVD has some nice high quality shots (Rick Wright close ups) but also lots of grain. And that remains in the BluRay disc? Wow! Amazing. But then in a negative way
That is a shame to hear. I'm going to pick it up anyway as I'm a Floyd completist. Reminds me of the Pulse DVD. The picture quality was abysmal because it was shot on video.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinrock View Post

I'll keep using Cream @ RAH in HD. (Still my Favorite to date)

My hope now is Paramount will release The Stones "Shine a Light' in HD in spring 08.
I just started to watch and skip around the BD. Excellent Audio. Great PQ on the close up and stage. However, Noise because it is dark and allot of changing lights with bright colors. Excellent package and Blu Ray case with double case and booklet. The slight video noise comes from the changing lights and the stage lights are very bright and I mean bright & the lighting people should get a slap . A blind buy!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM

I picked this up yesterday and watched it last night. I concur with most of the other reviews here. The audio quality is amazing (even the stereo PCM is great) and the close-up shots are nice. But the far-away shots are atrocious. Still worth the money and the extras are fantastic. No regrets purchasing it. I just hope future hi-def Floyd material gets treated a little better.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 PM

I would love Pulse on Blu-Ray. Wonder if that's soon to follow...
Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Man this was a great purchase, video noise aside. The set is awesome, lighting is awesome and the AQ is great.