'David Gilmour: Remember That Night' -- pre-release buzz - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 AM

Sony cited "production delays" for the reason of the 6 week delay.

Looks like their yeilds aren't as high as they would have you believe and this got bumped to make sure some movies would be pressed in time for their street date.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
Sony cited "production delays" for the reason of the 6 week delay.

Looks like their yeilds aren't as high as they would have you believe and this got bumped to make sure some movies would be pressed in time for their street date.

Thats a big jump to make that conclusion.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnakeSSS View Post
Eventhough 1080i is the broadcast standard, they could have recorded it at 1080p for later duplication.

I do agree that it will look great anyways.
On a 60hz TV there is no difference between 1080i and 1080p. HD DVD and Blu-ray content is 1080p/24. If your player outputs a 60-Hz signal (that is, one that your TV can display), the player is adding (creating) the 3:2 sequence. So, whether you output 1080i or 1080p, it is still inherently the same information. The only difference is in whether the player interlaces it and your TV deinterlaces it, or if the player just sends out the 1080p signal directly. If the TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p (even with that extra step). There is no new information—nor is there more resolution, as some people think. This is because there is no new information with the progressive signal. It's all based on the same original 24 frames per second.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Aaarrrgh. Darn blue ray production delays - get your act together already!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

PCM stereo 24/48
Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit/48kHz

Looks pretty good!

2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION!!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

This is going to be amazing. If you saw the show last year, Gilmour's performance of Echoes was intense. Now I can only hope Roger Water's upcoming DVD is a BD release too!

Pink Floyd at Pompeii is another one that needs the hi-def treatment.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Can't wait for this. It was very hard to resist picking up the SD version....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm a PF/Gilmour/Waters fan and I have to say if the HD version is anything like the standard-def DVD release then people are going to be severely disappointed. The level of video noise in the SD is so extreme it can only be deliberate. I'm a video producer and DOP and work in this field all the time. It seems to me that the concert has either been filmed in extremely low-light-friendly video levels and/or there has been significant colour grading to grunge up the picture even more.

In some songs like Comfortably Numb, the picture noise is almost posterised. It's absolutely awful. I'd love to know what the DVD masterers were thinking. And the amazing thing is that the concert was filmed in HD.

If you compare the DG concert to Roger Waters' In The Flesh SD DVD or even Pulse which was filmed on Digital Betacam back in the mid-90's, it's well, a huge disappointment. Gilmour said he wished they'd filmed the Pulse concert on film; well he may as well filmed this one in DV. Great music, stage lighting and songs but the picture quality is schiesen hausen.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powervideo View Post
I'm a PF/Gilmour/Waters fan and I have to say if the HD version is anything like the standard-def DVD release then people are going to be severely disappointed. The level of video noise in the SD is so extreme it can only be deliberate. I'm a video producer and DOP and work in this field all the time. It seems to me that the concert has either been filmed in extremely low-light-friendly video levels and/or there has been significant colour grading to grunge up the picture even more.

In some songs like Comfortably Numb, the picture noise is almost posterised. It's absolutely awful. I'd love to know what the DVD masterers were thinking. And the amazing thing is that the concert was filmed in HD.

If you compare the DG concert to Roger Waters' In The Flesh SD DVD or even Pulse which was filmed on Digital Betacam back in the mid-90's, it's well, a huge disappointment. Gilmour said he wished they'd filmed the Pulse concert on film; well he may as well filmed this one in DV. Great music, stage lighting and songs but the picture quality is schiesen hausen.

That's a shame to hear that. I haven't picked up the SD version because I don't want to double-dip. With the exception of a couple of songs, it wasn't a very visual concert (not the NYC shows, anyway). I hope the audio mix is excellent. For any Floyd-related release, that's the most important thing (IMO).
Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powervideo View Post

I agree with you 100%. Some of the shots are amazing even on SD (the close ups of Richard Wright are brilliant) but the DVD got so much noise, couldn't believe it at first sight. Fingers X-ed for the BR release.
Anyone got a confirmation that Roger will release a DVD too? Haven't read that anywhere at all.