Criterion BD/DVD/VHS combo pack - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, and I'm really worried about the rubber belts decaying.

The issue with hooking it up is that the LD player has so many more cable connections than Blu-ray: S-video, Toslink audio, analog L/R audio, and AC-3 RF audio, plus a separate RF-demodulator for the AC-3. And I need all of those. Some go to my A/V receiver, some go to my video processor, and some have to go into switchers in between. I just don't have the time or desire to map out how everything needs to be connected.

HDMI greatly simplified my life.
That mapping out, and complex interaction between components, is one of my favorite parts. This audio goes through this device, this wire needs that adapter, this selector controlls these...it's a great opportunity to dig through my collection of parts and go "Oh, good, I can make use of this old VGA switch!"
Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

I recently sold the only laserdisc I ever held on to, Highway to Hell with Kirsty Swanson and Chad Lowe. I won it on eBay around 5 years ago for $100, I had an auto-search running for it for almost a year before one popped up. I'd be surprised if one has popped up since, as mine sold for $150. I had it copied professionally to DVD before I sold it.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM

The one LaserDisc I wanted, so much that I was tempted to buy a player just for it, was 'Akira'. It was the audio dub I prefered, prior to the Pioneer release (DVD). But, now the Blu-Ray has multiple audio tracks, including the one I prefer, so I'm glad I didn't go out of my way on that one.

But, still, it'd be cool to have an 'Akira' LaserDisc.

And maybe a 'Dragon's Lair' one. And 'Space Ace'.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, and I'm really worried about the rubber belts decaying.

The issue with hooking it up is that the LD player has so many more cable connections than Blu-ray: S-video, Toslink audio, analog L/R audio, and AC-3 RF audio, plus a separate RF-demodulator for the AC-3. And I need all of those. Some go to my A/V receiver, some go to my video processor, and some have to go into switchers in between. I just don't have the time or desire to map out how everything needs to be connected.

HDMI greatly simplified my life.
Likewise
I hated having all those wires before