Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...i-fi-dvd_N.htm

Details: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (DVD, $40; Blu-ray Disc, $50). Includes three versions of the film: the 1977 original theatrical cut, the re-edited 1980 theatrical special edition, and Steven Spielberg's director's cut, released in 1998.

What's new: An interview with Spielberg created especially for this release and a retrospective documentary.

This release also includes his "director's edition" (which he just did in 1998 when he had ALOT of clout and I'm SURE he has a say in it's release) for DVD plus a new interview so he definitely has given his "ok"...
Does anyone think he would really sit down and do a new interview if Sony was just releasing this whether or not he cared...?!?!?

But Spielberg beginning to get into the HD game is good. Poltergeist and The Twilight Zone movie are coming too.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
The movie on its own is great but id rather see something with a little more excitment and Pazas then this. But its a start to pull Spielberg towards the Blu side.
I wonder if Jackson and Lucas will follow Spielberg's first step into hi def??
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I wonder if Jackson and Lucas will follow Spielberg's first step into hi def??
I can only see this once HD DVD is canned. I think retailers are starting to shape that up slowly but I can also see Jacksons stuff coming out. I mean King Kong is already out and there is 30 different versions of LotR and its only been out 5 years.

But George will hold on cause thats all he has? lol so hes gonna hold off, although he did release SW on Laser Disc...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I can only see this once HD DVD is canned. I think retailers are starting to shape that up slowly but I can also see Jacksons stuff coming out. I mean King Kong is already out and there is 30 different versions of LotR and its only been out 5 years.

But George will hold on cause thats all he has? lol so hes gonna hold off, although he did release SW on Laser Disc...
Yeah...I can go with what your saying. King Kong and LOTR...I think Jackson will release these to blu fairly soon. But, I am just speculating.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Guess I must be weird. I didn't really care for CEOTTK. However, that won't stop me from getting it.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Yeah...I can go with what your saying. King Kong and LOTR...I think Jackson will release these to blu fairly soon. But, I am just speculating.
Peter Jackson does not own the movies he's directed. King Kong is owned by Universal, and is HD DVD exclusive. The Lord of the Rings movies are owned by New Line, who are expected to release on both formats (following the footsteps of parent company Warner).

George Lucas, on the other hand, completely owns 100% of Star Wars, and he doesn't want it released on any High-Def format.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Peter Jackson does not own the movies he's directed. King Kong is owned by Universal, and is HD DVD exclusive. The Lord of the Rings movies are owned by New Line, who are expected to release on both formats (following the footsteps of parent company Warner).

George Lucas, on the other hand, completely owns 100% of Star Wars, and he doesn't want it released on any High-Def format.

Frankly the first 3 remastered star wars dvds,especially the first, stand up against any hd disc i have.They blew me away.
I can live without hd.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
Sony paid Speilberg $700 million to release it on Blu-ray.

If Sony paid $700 million for it, it would not cost $50. It must mean that that Sony didn't pay the money and studio is trying to make up for it.

Anyway this exciting news.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Close Encounters is a classic!

I can't wait to see it in HD. Spielberg should also release "Duel" and "The Sugarland Express" on Blu-ray. I would love to see "Jaws" come to Blu-ray also...
Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
I can't wait to see it in HD. Spielberg should also release "Duel" and "The Sugarland Express" on Blu-ray. I would love to see "Jaws" come to Blu-ray also...
Sorry, all are Universal and will be HD DVD exclusives.