Clerks & Chasing Amy This Novermber!! - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM

The whole discussion about Smith's wife is kind of scurrilous and mean-spirited. She's not the greatest talent and she's not movie-star-hot. But she's decently attractive, and more to the point his films are shaggy dog affairs anyway with lots of casting his friends and such. It works because it's lovable and honest, at least in my opinion.

Perhaps more to the point here, Smith was dating Joey Lauren Adams (star of Chasing Amy and who also appeared in Mallrats), and they broke up thereafter, which is why her only subsequent appearance in one of his films is a 2-second one in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I'm interested to see the talk with them on the Blu-Ray of Chasing Amy.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM

the reviews for Chasing Amy are not good.
looks like Disney is still having issues with older titles that aren't animated.
supposedly lots of dnr on this, and even with the low budget is a big disappointment.
there are supposedly scenes on an extra in hd that look much better than the actual bd.
OUCH!
that's a slap in the face.
thanks for nothing Mouse House.
hope you treat your own live action titles better.
(whenever you get around to releasing any of them)
sounds like it would have been better if Criterion had released this one.
guess we'll see what HDD has to say soon.

Last edited by Arkadin; 11-15-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Former Member

I reviewed the Canadian import of Amy, and sold it immediately. it's AWFUL. i'm sitting down to Amy (not for this site) in the next few days, and while I doubt the film will ever look that amazing, I'm curious to see if it will look better/how much better it will look than the import.

when my copy of Clerks arrives, I'm covering it here. I'll save any impressions on the disc and film for when it posts.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 PM

My local Best Buy ( Portland, ME) had them on the shelf last tuesday. They were $29.99 each though so I didn't pick them up. They are great movies, but I've owned them so many times that im hesitant to pick them up for higher than $20
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM

I canceled my pre-orders, not so much for their apparent quality, but because I've also owned several versions of these including the LD's, DVD's, and Special Edition DVD's, etc...
Old 11-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Disney really needs to get their pricing more in line with warner brothers as far as these older titles.
Sling Blade is another that is priced too high.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Chasing Amy was shot 16 mm, so it won't look that great no matter what, but if they tried to compensate for the grain with DNR, there's no point buying it.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
I reviewed the Canadian import of Amy, and sold it immediately. it's AWFUL. i'm sitting down to Amy (not for this site) in the next few days, and while I doubt the film will ever look that amazing, I'm curious to see if it will look better/how much better it will look than the import.

when my copy of Clerks arrives, I'm covering it here. I'll save any impressions on the disc and film for when it posts.
Some say the CA looks better too.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Clerks looks as good as it's going to look. But, yeah, they screwed up on Chasing Amy. The new documentary is a great comparison to see how much they screwed up. I'll still keep this copy because the colors are better and it's still sharper than the DVD but man, did they DNR the hell out of this film...goodness.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Looks like I'll be sticking with my Criterion DVD for Chasing Amy. What a disappointment.