'The Cabin in the Woods' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
Spoiler
A lot of complaining about the closing shot, I don't get it. As soon as it was apparent that the survivors were going to screw everything up, that was pretty much the exact shot that went through my mind, it fits the concept perfectly. The only other ending that might have made sense would have been some kind of Gremlins-esque "breaking the film" effect.
I enjoyed the movie, but found the ending a big cop-out. It felt like it had been re-written at the last minute from something darker and more interesting.

Spoiler
The movie outright states a few times that Dana is not actually a virgin, and hints heavily that Marty is. Everything is set up for the revelation that he will need to kill her to save the world, at which point he'll take over as game-master and rebuild the facility to stage the event again the next year (sequel potential!).

The other possibility is that Dana goes through with killing Marty, only to realize that she failed because they had it backwards, and she can't stop the apocalypse.

Instead, the movie just shrugs all that off with hipster irony and has them say, "Oh well, the world sucks anyway. Let's do nothing and let the apocalypse come." This is completely out of character for both of them. They know that they're both going to die if they do nothing. At least one of them should have tried to do something, even if it meant failing, because there's no upshot to them just sitting there waiting, and the movie has not established either of them as being so nihilistic as to want to be responsible for ending the world.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..

Last edited by Onslaught X; 09-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Dr Kain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,944
Default

I think you completely missed the point of the ending.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
The BD25 news is disheartening. I badly want to see this, so I'm not sure I can hold out for a better version.
Sorry for the mix-up. The disc is BD50. Unfortunately, the compression remains, we just can't blame it on a too small disc.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I think you completely missed the point of the ending.
Indeed

Spoiler
And that ending is not just hipster irony anymore. Horror movies are oddly enough an excellent gauge for the mood of the country. For example any time we have an oppressive regime in the white house, horror movies get popular, with Nixon we had Hammer films, with Reagan we got 80's slashers, under Bush jr we got torture porn(Hostel, Saw). It's some sort of cultural outlet, btw this isn't my observation, I'm citing what one of the master horror directors said in a documentry.

The ending of Cabin in the Woods represents the hopelessness many of us feel under the current regime, which brough no hope or change. So it being out of character for the characters? This feeling is in the back of many minds, and what if it were in the back of either of theirs? Save humanity, or murder a friend and good person? Their choice was pretty logical I thought.

The possible endings you mentioned have been done would have been expected. Say what you will, I was not expecting their final decision.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM
MrAngles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I enjoyed the movie, but found the ending a big cop-out. It felt like it had been re-written at the last minute from something darker and more interesting.

Spoiler
The movie outright states a few times that Dana is not actually a virgin, and hints heavily that Marty is. Everything is set up for the revelation that he will need to kill her to save the world, at which point he'll take over as game-master and rebuild the facility to stage the event again the next year (sequel potential!).

The other possibility is that Dana goes through with killing Marty, only to realize that she failed because they had it backwards, and she can't stop the apocalypse.

Instead, the movie just shrugs all that off with hipster irony and has them say, "Oh well, the world sucks anyway. Let's do nothing and let the apocalypse come." This is completely out of character for both of them. They know that they're both going to die if they do nothing. At least one of them should have tried to do something, even if it meant failing, because there's no upshot to them just sitting there waiting, and the movie has not established either of them as being so nihilistic as to want to be responsible for ending the world.
Yeah I caught the set up for that mix-up, but honestly, the fact that it was set up for it and would have been so obvious would have made it a lot less fulfilling than what was essentially argument for free will. I didn't take it as nihilistic or a cop out at all, I thought it fit right in with what the "fool" had been talking about through the entire film.
Spoiler
The fighting for free will despite an impossible outcome also mirrors a lot of Joss' other work, so maybe that's part of why it made sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Thulsadoom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Did you just say that Existenz is better than Inception? Like, on purpose??
Completely! For me, eXistenZ is a great film, with some fantastic ideas and moments and amazing direction. Inception was an obvious surface movie that didn't feel very deep or thoughtful, to me. But that's the beauty of different tastes.

Completely agree with Josh on his appraisal of the ending of Cabin in the Woods.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Indeed

Spoiler
And that ending is not just hipster irony anymore. Horror movies are oddly enough an excellent gauge for the mood of the country. For example any time we have an oppressive regime in the white house, horror movies get popular, with Nixon we had Hammer films, with Reagan we got 80's slashers, under Bush jr we got torture porn(Hostel, Saw). It's some sort of cultural outlet, btw this isn't my observation, I'm citing what one of the master horror directors said in a documentry.

The ending of Cabin in the Woods represents the hopelessness many of us feel under the current regime, which brough no hope or change. So it being out of character for the characters? This feeling is in the back of many minds, and what if it were in the back of either of theirs? Save humanity, or murder a friend and good person? Their choice was pretty logical I thought.

The possible endings you mentioned have been done would have been expected. Say what you will, I was not expecting their final decision.

"Their choice was pretty logical I thought."

I actually thought it didn't make any sense at all.


Spoiler
I remember feeling somehow cheated when they just sat there at the end. I know if I had a choice between a friend dying anyway or killing said friend and maybe saving the world I would pick the latter 100% of the time. Now if there was some question about killing my friend might not work than you have an argument. Reminds me of how much I disliked the ending of "The Mist". At least I understood what the character's motivation was and might do the same in that situation. The ending for Cabin, while surprising, just left me shaking my head and sitting in the theater just like the characters I had just finished watching.


BTW the visual guide is really worth picking up. Reading the screenplay and seeing some of the effects and artist designs is worth the $15.

Last edited by john01824; 09-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Default

The Mist and Cabin in the Woods BOTH had great endings
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I enjoyed the movie, but found the ending a big cop-out. It felt like it had been re-written at the last minute from something darker and more interesting.

Spoiler
The movie outright states a few times that Dana is not actually a virgin, and hints heavily that Marty is. Everything is set up for the revelation that he will need to kill her to save the world, at which point he'll take over as game-master and rebuild the facility to stage the event again the next year (sequel potential!).

The other possibility is that Dana goes through with killing Marty, only to realize that she failed because they had it backwards, and she can't stop the apocalypse.

Instead, the movie just shrugs all that off with hipster irony and has them say, "Oh well, the world sucks anyway. Let's do nothing and let the apocalypse come." This is completely out of character for both of them. They know that they're both going to die if they do nothing. At least one of them should have tried to do something, even if it meant failing, because there's no upshot to them just sitting there waiting, and the movie has not established either of them as being so nihilistic as to want to be responsible for ending the world.
Agreed.

Spoiler
"The other possibility is that Dana goes through with killing Marty, only to realize that she failed because they had it backwards, and she can't stop the apocalypse."

I could have bought that with or without it working. Great dark ending if it didn't work or it was done too late. Even better if it worked but she was then forced into working for "the guardians".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazron View Post
The Mist and Cabin in the Woods BOTH had great endings
As I said I have no problem with the end of "The Mist"(even though it had me depressed for a couple of days, lol) it is understandable put in that situation. I just thought the end of Cabin was a little off. Maybe it's just me but I didn't get any "deeper meaning". Oh well still like 99% of it and would highly recommend at least two viewings.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Cabin in the Woods 4K - HDD Review Palmer Ultra-HD Blu-ray Software Discussion 1 08-30-2017 03:56 AM
'The Cabin in the Woods,' 'Red,' and 'Red 2' coming to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on Sep. 5 Landy Ultra-HD Blu-ray Software Discussion 7 07-07-2017 04:53 PM
'Cabin in the Woods' is coming September 18 paaron46 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 15 08-17-2012 09:04 PM
Cabin in the Woods Josh Z Film Forum 10 04-19-2012 02:20 PM
cabin fever, cabin fever 2 delayed? ObsoleteFuture Blu-ray Software General Discussion 13 02-11-2010 11:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off